Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

A bit of DIY, a bit of parts supply

FZP

So I have a few items that I need to tick off the list, and with ECP doing the black Friday sales at 50% off, I thought I'd buy the bits I need in one hit.
Discs and Pads. This is the first time I'll be changing them since I've had the car, can anyone tell me what brand the OEM are. I want to say Brembo, but not sure. I'll be getting my local mechanic to do the as I'm not one to muck around with brakes. A brake line is looking tatty so will get that done at the same time.
A/C Condensors. Mine need replacing and as I want to do the mesh inserts from behind, thought I'd have a crack myself at swapping them out. I'm going to go with Behr Hella as these are the OEM units, but can you advise everything I'll need to do the job parts wise to complete the job. Also any gotchas I need to be aware of whilst doing it.
That ticks off the health check and back up to scratch.

TIA
FZP

Don't forget wear sensors and anti-vibration pads too, unless you plan to see if the existing ones can be reused.

I reckon if you fancy doing the condensers you could do the brakes too. Even I managed it.

I believe Porsche use various brake manufacturers but have read that the disks are mainly Sebro and the pads are Textar. However I've used Pagid and Brembo and they are in my view at least as good.

What's the score with pads and OPC warranty if they are not OPC supplied :dont know:

Re the condensors I'd go for the cheap ones as they're almost a replacement part and if you protect them they should last probably longer than you keep the car.

I paid £75 for the evaporator in my 964 against £300+ for OEM rose tinted plated one :roll: Never had a problem

I bought a cheap condenser for my 996 and had to send it back as it didn't fit. Behr/Hella was only a tenner more.

MC

You cant get true OEM discs, Sebro are certainly OEM quality though. Textar are OEM on the pads.

I would think DIY on the brakes is easier than the condensers? :dont know:

I think they are pretty similar, the brakes can be a PITA is you get stuck bleed nipples or problems removing caliper bolts. One of those jobs which is easy in theory but can be anything but. Never had any real issues with condensers but then I have done a lot more sets of disks and pads.

MC

Zingari said:
What's the score with pads and OPC warranty if they are not OPC supplied :dont know:

Brakes are not really covered on the extended warranty so not really a problem .. best not to try and claim for a brake squeal with these fitted though :)

Biggest issue is on a 111 point check to renew the warranty .. if the brakes look like non porsche then it will fail under the NO third party items fitted rule .

It all comes down to if they look like genuine parts or not .

Bearing in mind we don't take the wheels off for this check so it's not much more than cursory glance ..

If they look like porsche parts then it will pass .

For any warranty claim then if non Porsche parts have been fitted the mechanic / Porsche have to decide if these items have caused the problem being claimed for ...

ie a non Porsche battery will have no effect on a blown engine so they cant reject the claim based on that .

Grills fitted .. whilst on the outside limits could be argued as hindering airflow and there by overheating the engine .. extreme i know but you get the idea .

A solid flywheel ( non dual mass ) and a snapped crankshaft which was a warranty claim has been rejected in the past .. a definite link as porsche put it .

I never find ECP that cost effective for Brembo brakes, as they sell in singles.

Go to Brembo's website and get the part code, stick it into a few other websites such as Autodoc, Amazon and partsinmotion.

Would be surprised if they werent better value.

Oh and also try carparts4less, as this is the sister site to Eurocarparts but a much lower base price plus 20% off via voucher typically.

So last night I was watching a few "how to" videos on swapping out discs and Pads. By the time go get all the tools recommended, along with pastes and sprays that I need, but I don't have, it's going to be cheaper to get my local guy to do it. Seeing as it's a task that I've not needed to do for the last 5 year's, it's not economical.
Add in I need to change a brake line and it makes sense to pass on this. But I will be sourcing all the parts to do the work
Thanks for the advice though, appreciate the efforts.

:pc:

FZP said:
So last night I was watching a few "how to" videos on swapping out discs and Pads. By the time go get all the tools recommended, along with pastes and sprays that I need, but I don't have, it's going to be cheaper to get my local guy to do it. Seeing as it's a task that I've not needed to do for the last 5 year's, it's not economical.
Add in I need to change a brake line and it makes sense to pass on this. But I will be sourcing all the parts to do the work

Tbf brakes are easy in theory, all simple until you get a problem like a nipple that won't release etc etc, and all the more likely on a ten year old motor :nooo:

Your still a puff for not having a go though :grin:

Read the 996 threads on sticking nipples, you must use a 'T' bar rather than a ratchet to remove them so you don't 'bend' them as well as twisting. Using a good release agent (e.g. Plusgas - not WD40) the day before may help.
Good luck
Mike

spongebob squarepants said:
FZP said:

Tbf brakes are easy in theory, all simple until you get a problem like a nipple that won't release etc etc, and all the more likely on a ten year old motor :nooo:

Your still a puff for not having a go though :grin:
Playing the long game🖕

You could of course have a car in bits in the garage like mine at the moment :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back