Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Acceptable weight loss

NedHan79

I've been going through the ela thread on here. I've not finished it yet but I'm getting there. My cars an ongoing project and restoration of sorts. A lot of mods done but a lot more to do.

What I want to know is, has anyone here done the basic weight saving things and actually noticed the difference?

At the minute my mods are full ss headers, 200 cell cats and silencers, air box mod, iridium plugs and sure fire coil packs. Home modified engine mounts. I'm removing the full air con system as it's past it and I never use it to fix it.
Spax lowering springs on m030 shocks, black Series powerfex arb bushes front and rear, Rear arb modified and adjustable. new spyder performance coffin arms with modded bushes. New Sachs top mounts on front shocks with
Modded bushes.
Probably loads more done but can't think now.

What I'm thinking of doing to save weight is removing-
Spare wheel and tool kit
Radio and all speakers(can't hear it anyways)
One of the radiator fans like a gt3 rs (I will be fitting the ltt)
Seats at some stage when the budget allows
Wiper delete already done
Light weight flywheel

I'm open to suggestions but I still need it child friendly. I'm ok with removing some sound deadening but I won't be changing carpet.

Also worth noting, I have a sunroof and always use this so it's definitely a keeper. My car is a 1998 aero c2 manual.

All ideas welcome but the budget is the big thing here

Thanks

If the car isn't a daily and you can keep it on a trickle charge , theres a big saving removing the OE battery and fitting a small light race battery , ELA(Richard saved a lot something like 20lbs when he did it ) but I talked about it with him when we met in Germany and he did say it wouldn't be good for me as mines a daily . :thumb:

...weight saving...why?

Unless you reduce the weight significantly what exactly is the point ? I doubt that you will even notice it ?

Cost v Value :dont know:

I notice my car's slower with the hard top on.......and that doesn't weigh much.

Phil997
I meant to add the battery to the list. Mine seemed to be a bigger one than standard so a good saving there. It's not a daily and I have a c-tek so that's covered.

GMG
This is why I'm asking. I know every little helps and all that but is it worth the while. It's not going to cost much as most of it's just my own labour.

Alex
What is the weight difference?

33kg for the hard top, it's not nothing. I reckon a drop in the road, engine and exhaust noise will also make the car feel slower.

I know Peter S has said exactly the same about his Gen 2 cab with the HT on.

I'd be aiming for around 50kg reduction. Is it worth the hassle?

Anyone removed sound deadening and kept original carpet?

NedHan79 said:
I'd be aiming for around 50kg reduction. Is it worth the hassle?

work out the BHP/tonne, should be easy enough. From that you should be able to roughly work out the 0-60 gain.

I reduced my own weight by over 20kg by taking up cycling. :D

Other than that, every time I take wheels off or change brake discs I'm struck by how heavy they are... surely something to lose there?

Fuel weighs a kilo per litre. So put less fuel in.

I could def do with 20 kilos off :eek:
By the time this is back on the road I'd more likely be up 20.lol

Rough calculations on the car being 1380kg to start with are 215hp/tonne. That's with my dyno figures of 298hp. Take 50-60kgs off and your up to about 225hp/tonne. Dosnt sound like much but it's more for fun than out right speed.

I've also to consider that I should be down a few kgs with the after market cats and exhaust

Petrol's 0.7kg per litre (sorry for being pedantic :oops: )

If you want to lose weight you should consider things like:-

Carbon roof doors bonnet boot bumpers
Plastic windows all round
Remove interior trim and sound deadening
Take the leather off the dashboard
Drill out any steel panels

There is loads that can be done to save weight

Alex said:
Petrol's 0.7kg per litre (sorry for being pedantic :oops: )

Not at all... interesting, not realised it was lighter than water... guess it makes sense as petrol floats on the waters surface.

if you're aiming for a 50Kg weight reduction & want to gauge the potential improvement, then try it the other way around.
Take a 50Kg passenger for a spin & see if you can feel the difference with & without the passenger.
I know it's not the same as losing 50Kg, but it'll give you a rough feel for the difference you could expect.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back