Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gearbox filler plug rounded, any ideas?

Grey996

Nurburgring
Luckily I tried to remove the filler plug before draining the box only to find the hex bolt is rounded off!

Access is very tight so I can't get a grip on the plug or any space to try and hit a larger key in there.

Other than dropping the gearbox does anyone have any other ideas?

Saw a slot in it with 2 hacksaw blades in your hacksaw (so double width). Then get a steel plate the width of the saw cut, line it up in the slot lengthways and turn.

Thanks, I'll have to have a go in the morning but I don't think I can get a hack saw in there.

You can also just cut a slot just using the bade then get a screwdriver (use like a chisel) in the slot and tap it round with a hammer.

Hammer a smaller A/F socket onto it.
Hacksaw 1/3 off the side of the bolt and get an adjustable on it - need to cut in the right place to ensure you get enough movement to undo.
Buy an Irwin grip nut set?

Thanks all, Alex's slot for the chisel worked a treat.

Issue I've got now is that there's something blocking the whole on the inside. It looks like another sort of internal cap where the rod on the end of the filler plug must slot in but I can't get any oil in with this there. I can move it slightly but I don't want it to drop into the box.

Also none of the replacement plugs I've seen are like this so I'm not sure what's going on?

New Top Gear Cats have gone on well and look great though.

Thanks

Attachments

• 70f6087d_5630_48e3_98c9_305ba7c69672_632.jpeg
    70f6087d_5630_48e3_98c9_305ba7c69672_632.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,949
Filler plug

Attachments

• c7e7e4e9_8bea_4830_8c14_99064baf4ff7_274.png
    c7e7e4e9_8bea_4830_8c14_99064baf4ff7_274.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,939
Just realised my mistake, that's not the filler plug is it!

I'm off to quickly put it back in!

Slightly embarrassing but all sorted now. Nothing like turning a 20 minute easy job into a hour long nightmare!

Out of interest, what is the other plug for?

That's not the filler plug as you have found out .. i believe that's a selector shaft retaining bolt .. make sure with it refitted you can get all gears please before starting it up .

Attachments

• 4_417.jpg
    4_417.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 2,896
  • bung_1_810.jpg
    bung_1_810.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 2,893
Thanks, yes luckily all the gears seem to be ok!

The head on the plug wasn't actually a hex after all but looked to be an 8 or so fitting. I wasn't able to get it totally tight so could do with buying the proper tool if you know which what it is and what size?

Thanks

I would have thought it was an 8mm allen key or hex bolt as most of them are on porsche boxes .. i can't quite see from the angle of the bolt though.

Best guess is it's no.19 on the above image from pet.

If it helps then even us mechanics don't always know the right bung to remove and have to look up instructions .

Thanks deMort, I do normally have to look things up but didn't bother with such an easy job! it does look exactly like a filler plug though, if only I'd watched the YouTube video beforehand :bonk:

It's too big for an 8mm and too small for a 10mm so that leaves a 9mm. An unusual size but I suppose it could be?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back