Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Because Racecar

Dammit

Warning - this is not a project thread in the traditional sense, and may come to nothing.

Context - I'm thinking of building a track car for next summer, so I'm looking at a base to build upon.

I think the car I want as a base is an aerokit C4, as it's the stiffest shell and I think the aerokit looks appropriate for a track focused vehicle.

This one isn't stock, but it's under 10 miles away so I went to look at it today:

295266_17_big.jpg

https://www.mr911.co.uk/cars/porsche/911mk996/gt3aerokit/295266/

Looks great in the photographs, and it's been beaten hard with the options stick - full carbon fibre pack for example.

49074358167_45b9b9b6b4_b.jpg

But it's also been owned by someone with a great deal of enthusiasm, but I suspect slightly less focus on the details.

If I were to be buying this as a road car there's probably 10k -15k of work to be done before tackling the wheels and brakes.

These won't (I suspect) fit under 18's:

49074389142_086161a6ec_b.jpg

And the rear wheels are poking out past the guards, so I'd want to go back to 18's

If I bought this car, would anyone be interested in the full interior? The hard-back seats have been recently recovered and the centre tunnel cubby lid was done at the same time.

I'd also be moving on the wheels, and potentially the front (8 piston) brakes.

295266_22_big.jpg

That's NICE!!!!

Honestly, it's a case of the closer you get to it the more things jump out at you.

I think it's potentially a good car if it can be got for the right price, but £12,950 is probably 3k too high.

I'd make the chap an offer but I suspect what I'd want to pay and what he wants to get are too far apart.

I'm also a little intimidated by the number and variety of electrical tape splices in the wiring that a brief poke around unearthed.

PSM, ABS and rear spoiler lights are all illuminated, and due to the first two neither the digital nor the analogue speedo work.

It's had a slow speed front impact that the bumper took care of, but it's crazed the paint in a classic, radial bulls-eye, and the paint in general is somewhat to very tired - the colour does a great job of disguising that.

Rear bumper is a turbo one, so best case it was because of looks, worst case it was a rear impact of some kind. The exhaust tips are ~3" from parallel, which is likely a 2 minute adjustment. Manifolds and cats are stock.

I think this space saver is possibly smaller in diameter than the brake discs on the front.

49074674996_dd9a7a3b22_b.jpg

The chap who is selling it is a very nice fellow, I think that'd be a big plus if I wasn't intending on stripping the car to bare metal and pulling the roof off and shoving this in:

PB208254.JPG

Among the obvious questions I would include why are there some splices in the wiring. As long as its for a reason and they are good solders (if its soldered) they can be cleaned up with fresh tape.

I'd be tempted to keep the brakes and see if an 18 will go over, a bigger space saver could be sought without a problem.

Looks like a good base but are you going C4 into C2 or are you tracking in 4wd?

The brakes look like k sport or d2's. I had the 8 pots on the front of my Imprezza with 330mm discs under the 17" wheels so I'd guess if they're below 355mm you'd probably be ok as the calipers are quite small for their size. First class braking though with decent pads.

Here are the codes, for those interested:

C16 UK car
030 Sports suspension -10mm (now Eurocup coilovers)
XAA Aerokit
XJ4 Leather covered ignition key surround
XKD Carbon side air vents
XKJ Carbon defroster trim
XKP Carbon speaker covers
XMJ Carbon centre console
XNR Carbon centre air vent bracket
XNX Carbon dashboard trim strip
XPD Carbon 3 spoke steering wheel (this isn't present anymore)
XPY Carbon instrument surround
XRL 18" Sport Design wheels (now 19" wheels, unknown type)
XTL Carbon door panel parts
X47 Carbon gear lever
X54 Stainless tail pipes
X58 Carbon handbrake lever
X69 Carbon door entry guards with logo
X71 All-look instrument faces
236 Internal code regarding tyres
288 Headlamp washers
375 2 way electric seat, left
376 2 way electric seat, right
446 Wheel caps with coloured Porsche crest
490 Basic sound system (now a double-din Pioneer)
650 Sunroof

Yes, the first owner really went to town.

It needs a bit of attention - the glue that holds the CF to the underlying plastic is failing in some places so the parts could do with removing, cleaning, bonding, and clamping.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back