Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche warranty. . . diy maintenance work.

greenchef

Trainee
So you have a Porsche warranty, and you want to keep it, but you like to do some maintenance yourself.

Control arms, disks, pads, shocks, batteries....etc..

As long as you use OEM parts, would they know and/or would they care?

Something like a battery is usually dated....so they would be able to tell if the battery has been replaced(and if you buy these things from Porsche you may have to give plate/chassis number). Even things like control arms can be modified during there manufactured life cycle, so they can sometimes tell if something like this has been replaced.

Anyone experience of problems with warranty after diy maintenance?.....i read something about Porsche having issue with even a hardwired dashcam!

Thanks.

As long as you use Porsche Parts, no issues

One reason im asking is because i think then battery is going.....as when the car does start stop, it only allows it to be stopped for about ten seconds....then it fires the car up again. I noticed this yesterday, when it was dark and rainy, so wipers on, lights on, blower, stereo.
I figured weak battery.....lots of load.....car panics and restarts car before battery doesn't have enough juice to fire engine?

I think the go8ng rate for a Porsche Battery is approx £200.I went Bosch and was done over by the garage as the price they gave me was ex vat, but didn't tell me so. Ended up being only £10 or so deeper than OPC.

200 fine for a start stop battery...

I asked Porsche about changing a couple of minor things on the car and keeping the warranty.....they were simple. No.

I guess i understand why.But still pretty annoying.

Anyway rear wiper at the very least has to go....guess i put it back when it comes to service time!

I bet any car / battery will fire up after 10 seconds with so much load on it, especially at this time of year when batteries don't perform as well due to the cold. I wouldn't worry about it.

Agree with Alex on that, mine does the same, it either doesn't stop/start at all or stop cycles are short if there is a lot of load on the battery, especially when the car is first used in the cold weather.

Wouldn't replace the battery without having it tested first. Well worth trickle charging (which will also indicate the condition of the battery) if you're not using regularly too.

My Mercedes seems to more or less give up with stop start in the winter months.

wow, i'm shocked. I wouldn't have replaced it until it absolutely went.

I rented a van the other day, same scenario, lights, wipers, stereo, endless start stop traffic in London.....

It never gave up, it would sit engine OFF for 5 mins at least, no issue.

what Alex said .. that's normal... with a tester you can even see a reason why it fired back up ..

The info you can get on these battery management systems is staggering .. probably due to the fact Porsche dont want to pay for batterys :D

As already said .. Porsche won't have a clue who replaced what .. as long as its a genuine part then that's fine .

tester?

Also for things like discs, control arms etc....is there a place other than a porsche dealer to get these things from, but still get the real deal oem part?

Also(!) has any one fitted the larger discs and caliper adapter bracket ive seen somewhere for sale? I think only works with S brakes, but i have an S so ....

greenchef said:
tester?

Also for things like discs, control arms etc....is there a place other than a porsche dealer to get these things from, but still get the real deal oem part? ....

There are plenty of places that can supply official Porsche parts (design 911, Type 911, Porscheshop) but in general they're more expensive than an OPC in my experience. The trick is to know who makes the Porsche part and buy that without the Porsche tax from somebody other than an OPC, but of course that can backfire if it can be identified by Porsche as not being an original part with their part number/brand stamped on it. Could be bad news if you're in a warranty claim or trying to get your car through the 111 point check to renew it.

When you're running the aircon / heater (so hot or cold), the interior thermostat will kick in and often override the stop start. Add in running the sound system, heated seats, rear window defroster, lights etc and the car will work out the drain on the battery and keep it running more often than not.

As others have said on here, I wouldn't worry necessarily, but you can get the battery tested.

Stop start conditions ..

The Auto Start Stop function is not available in the
following situations, for example:
- When Sport mode is activated.
- When PSM is switched off.
- During manoeuvring.
- When AC MAX mode is activated.
- When the 'Windshield defrost" function is active.
- At elevations above approx. 9850 ft (3,000 meters).
- After engaging a gear without pressing the clutch pedal
when the engine is automatically stopped.

The Auto Start Stop function is available with limited
functionality in the following situations, for example:
- If the air conditioning or passenger compartment
heating is operated at a high setting or if the defrost
function is running for long periods of time.
- If the charge state of the battery is low.
- On uphill or downhill gradients.
- When vehicle internal test processes are taking place,
for example automatic engine diagnosis.
- In the case of excessively low exterior or battery
temperature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back