Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rebuild or replace?

Stoddy

Spa-Francorchamps
I love my car, I really do. It's a great place to be at the end of a long day or week. BUT, he's now got a lot of miles on the clock, 169,000 will be the next big number to click over.
Now, do I stick with Henry and re build the engine and refresh the suspension etc, or, do I trade him in for a 997?
When I last sold a 911, it was about six months before the market exploded and the same car seemed to quadruple over night. (3.2 Carrera)
I don't see that happening with a 2002 996 C2, but if it's only worth seven or eight grand now, surely it will go up again? In which case am I going to regret selling him?
I do a fair few miles a year and he's my daily driver too. I could just moth ball? Wait for the market to swing up, or just sell.

I've driven a few 997's but never lived with one. Are they as much of a drivers car? Are they suited to daily driving as much as my 996, more so perhaps?

Help! What should I do!?

Yours,

47 from Monmouth.

Stoddy.

:?:

996 values have already bounced back once. In 2013 all models were worth less than they are now. There will come a time when low mileage examples will become more sought after but I really can't see that happening with any 169k mile car.

As a daily driver you will find a 997 a nicer place to be. Whether that's worth the considerable 'cost to change' is up to you.

I personally would keep the 996 unless it is uneconomical to repair/maintain.

The 996 and 986 have an amazing fixed ratio steering rack. I think it feels more analogue and raw than the 9x7 series.

The only 997 I'd consider is a GT3.

I'd go with a rolling refurb program for Henry.

A 997 will likely need work at some point plus the cost to change.

There is a satisfaction in my view from keeping a car long term and getting it just so. Even with some fairly pessimistic assumptions you will still be quads in vs changing cars every few years.

Thanks for the comments, I guess there's always that 'new car" feeling that creeps in too! Having said that, the 'New engine" feeling's pretty cool too! Especially combined with a suspension refresh and body detail!!?? Maybe a bonnet wrap too..............

I'm in a similar boat, 145k mile C2. I dont see myself parting with it to get a 997 for sure; not enough of an improvement/change to tempt me.
My car has gone through £9k of upgrades and maintenance in the last 3 years and we will continue (including a rebuild in the future)

As a daily driver you will find a 997 a nicer place to be. Whether that's worth the considerable 'cost to change' is up to you.[/quote]

+1 :thumb:

The DFI engine gives the 997 better performance and mpg.

If you were to buy, say a 10 year old car, you would have to make sure it has had a fair bit of money spent on maintenance/repairs, otherwise you could end up shelling out for the cost yourself added to the difference between the values of the 2 cars.

Ploughing money into your 996 is OK as long as you keep it for a few years.

I wouldn't bank on the values rising much, given the mileage unfortunately.

I've known at least 6 people change from a 996 to a 997 !

Not one of them has ever looked back, The cabin is a much nicer place to be, I won't mention the obvious positive, as for analogue and raw ?
It's pretty much the same same car, it shares the the same steering rack ? By analogue I'm guessing you mean manual, no driver aids, no buttons on the steering wheel, not sure how Raw the 996 is......

I think my budget would be 25k ish, maybe a little more if senior management (the wife) will agree, so I'd expect some work needed for that money?
@C4silver, what's the 'obvious positive"?
Because mines a daily, I'm just worried that I'll be constantly chasing my tail and fixing things as they fly past 200,000 miles and on, even after having the engine re built.
Having said that, I do love the 996 shape.

I think I'll do a list of pros and cons either way, feel free to suggest!
Could be quite a good exercise?

Stoddy.
:dont know:

Nice choice to to have and I'll be watching.

Think of it were me I'd be tempted to upgrade, renew and keep. Any 997 at 25k (ish) will almost certainly need some spends too and you've got history with Henry :grin:

Great to hear of a 996 / m96 in daily use with this big mileage - respect.
Think that's why maybe I'd look at refresh as you've come so far together :worship: :grin:

Hertsdriver said:
Tourist said:
The 996 and 986 have an amazing fixed ratio steering rack. I think it feels more analogue and raw than the 9x7 series.

The 997 has the exact same rack as a 996....

The 997/987 has a variable ratio rack, it's not the same. IME, it feels dead near the centre compared to the 996/986.

There is something very warming about having history with a car and like you say, there's bound to be spends on top of a 25k purchase anyway.

Interesting comment about the steering on the 997, I haven't driven them enough to compare.

Stoddy 8)

For my money, which it clearly isn't, keep your current 996 and do the necessary works as and when needed. It will become like a pair of old brogues which get re-soled and polished and much loved. I tend to keep my cars for 20 years.....but my shoes longer!

alfazagato

I say change but that's just me.

Cars wear out. Yes you can do a 'Triggers Broom" on it, but to eliminate every bit of wear at those miles would cost tens of thousands.

I'm not against high mileage cars but I don't see the point in trying to bring one back inline with a fresh one. Not when there are other options out there for the same cost.

My old Volvo estate daily just clicked over 200k last week. It still feels fine but there is a bit more play in things and a general softness to its feel compared to my dads 100k miler.
I'm happy keeping it as it's free motoring but when the clutch or something big goes I'll be swapping it. That's life unfortunately, cars wear out.

Oh, and I'm not for one moment comparing your 996 to an old Volvo. :grin:
But if it's a mile muncher you need then I'd swap it for a fresher 911.

Just my 2p though. We all love our cars but sometimes you have to take a step back and be sensible.
Like you say you'll get the new car buzz and the thrill of shopping for your next one if you change.
Oh and none of the headaches of working on rusty old parts etc.

:thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yarders
Back