Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Number Plate Light 964 993 996 968 986

Alex

I was at my local self service car wash the other day and whilst giving the rear of the car a blast, ended up getting water in the number plate light housings and popping the festoooooons.

When I came to put new bulbs in it became apparent the housings were well past their use by date. One dropped to bits in my hand and both had seriously tanned lenses - probably down to folk putting 10W festoooooons in rather than 5W (self included :oops: )

1st thing I noticed was the 964 part number, hence me posting in here as the topic is relevant to various Porsche models - as seen in the subject title.

When I got home I did a search for the housings and they seem to be coming in around £75 for a pair :what:

Then I stumbled across these - LED number plate lights. They replace the whole original housing and with LEDs included come in at £25 for a pair. I even reckon I could butcher the housing to enable festoooooons to be refit if I wanted:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-...-911-Carrera-964-993-996-968-986/232618025510

Hopefully I should receive them tomorrow or Friday and will report back then whether they're any good or not. Saving of £50 and a fresher look to the rear of the car :thumbs:

s-l1600.jpg

The new LED lights arrived Friday. I cocked up though - didn't realise they were £12.50 for a pair and not each. Upside is I now have a spare set,

Opened up the box and they look exactly the same as in the photo.

6qjwuGr.jpg

They're clear all the way through which meant they weren't shaded to only project light on to the reg plate which I wasn't happy with so masked up the centre of the lens and got the rattle can out.

mLHUkqp.jpg

Much better.

M4rw4fO.jpg

Also, the spades don't lock into the slots on either side but once assembled together are held in place and make contact fine.

Festoooon vs. LED.

v9GNWbf.jpg

Must admit - they're mega bright and even light the road up behind, but they do seem to give the car a fresher look.

ndyQ8ku.jpg

You can see the old lens schorched from using 10W bulbs :nooo:

2xzEDwG.jpg

Bit of faffing around spraying them up and installing them but at £12.50 instead of £75 and a fresher look to the car, I'm a happy chappy.

Just replace the number plate lights on our 987 and they cost £13.50 inc vat each from OPC, that even included the bulbs.
What I did notice, though, was they are actually a VW part, complete with logo and are made in Slovakia!!

Yeah 987 are different.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back