Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
992 : 2019- 0
991 : 2011- 22
997 : 2004- 69
996 : 1997-2005 32
993 : 1993-1998 5
964 : 1989-1993 2
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 3
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 1
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 31
Cayman : 2005- 21
Cayenne : 2003- 5
Macan : 2014- 5
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [992] 2018-Current
Porsche 911 [992]
911 [991] 2011-2019
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-2012
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
-- 997 --
Suzuka


Joined: 11 Jun 2015
Posts: 1246



PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject: Oil Level Reset Help !!!!!!!! ----------------- Reply with quote

Hi all, i carried out an oil change over the weekend and filled up with 7 liters of oil to be carefull not over filling, to reset the oil level counter ibfollowed instruction on the attached picture below, and shows me 1 bar on the oil level flashing allthough theres 7 liters of oil.

Am i doing something wrong? Is it correct with the information below on resetting the oil Level?

Cheers

J
 



20191020_115939_20191104151719696.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.41 MB
 Viewed:  837 Time(s)

20191020_115939_20191104151719696.jpg


  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Porschekit
Österreich


Joined: 12 Aug 2014
Posts: 962
Location: North East UK


PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your answer is in point 5 of the picture.
The 7 litres will have filled the majority of the oil sump and it now needs gradually topping up to full, by 0.4 litre increments.

The gauge actually only shows the "top up" area not the complete oil tank.
So keep adding oil in batches until the gauge shows it is climbing "up the neck" so to speak....
_________________
997.1 C4S Meteor Grey Metalic
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
-- 997 --
Suzuka


Joined: 11 Jun 2015
Posts: 1246



PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porschekit wrote:
I think your answer is in point 5 of the picture.
The 7 litres will have filled the majority of the oil sump and it now needs gradually topping up to full, by 0.4 litre increments.

The gauge actually only shows the "top up" area not the complete oil tank.
So keep adding oil in batches until the gauge shows it is climbing "up the neck" so to speak....


Hi, ok so theres 7 liters of oil already in the engine, the oil level bar shows up on one bar and flashes, at least it should show just over half way then pour oil increments untill it reaches to the full mark !!

Cheers...

J
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
T8
General
General


Joined: 29 Jun 2010
Posts: 16050
Location: Kent


PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow steps 4 and 5 adding about 0.2 litres at a time.

Be careful not to overfill. Leaving it one bar from the max level will be fine.
_________________
2007 Guards Red 997 Turbo Tiptronic
ex 2004 Polar Silver 996T Tiptronic
ex 2002 Seal Grey 996.2 C4 Tiptronic
ex 1978 Silver 924 Manual
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
-- 997 --
Suzuka


Joined: 11 Jun 2015
Posts: 1246



PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T8 wrote:
Follow steps 4 and 5 adding about 0.2 litres at a time.

Be careful not to overfill. Leaving it one bar from the max level will be fine.


T8, would i need to do it from the start then, run engine to temp the follow the steps ? Or just from 4 to 5?

Cheers

J
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Jam911
Albert Park


Joined: 31 Oct 2010
Posts: 1527



PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should take at least 8.5 lt in total
_________________
Current '07 997 C4S
Ex '99 2.5 Boxster
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
GlenB
Silverstone


Joined: 20 Jul 2018
Posts: 117



PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew there was no dipstick and you had to use the display, but what an incredibly dick way of having to do things. No wonder Porsche charged me so much for an oil and filter change hahaha.

Seriously, what was wrong with the dipstick invention?
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
James M-S
Suzuka


Joined: 11 Apr 2017
Posts: 1097
Location: Derbyshire

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-- 997 -- wrote:
T8 wrote:
Follow steps 4 and 5 adding about 0.2 litres at a time.

Be careful not to overfill. Leaving it one bar from the max level will be fine.


T8, would i need to do it from the start then, run engine to temp the follow the steps ? Or just from 4 to 5?

Cheers

J


As long as your oil temp is around 90, you don’t need to mess around with 20 mins idleing each time. You have to let the electronic dipstick do its countdown. If oil is not up to temp it will tell you.

Personally I would stop at one bar under max. Monitor the level when back from a drive. Top-up if necessary. When you check the oil level, always do it with car in the same place. (I check mine a couple of times a week when I’ve parked in my garage after returning from work)
_________________
Manual 997.2 c2 :Basalt + gtechniq : H&S + Gundo
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
jl-c
Monza


Joined: 22 Jul 2013
Posts: 224
Location: Shropshire


PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Personally I would stop at one bar under max. Monitor the level when back from a drive. Top-up if necessary. When you check the oil level, always do it with car in the same place. (I check mine a couple of times a week when I’ve parked in my garage after returning from work)"

I would agree,BUT, make sure it is flat. A tilt of only a few degrees will alter the reading significantly. I too would run it 1 bar down, measured cold because hot it then reads full.
_________________
Porsche Carrera 2S 2005 black fully Hartech'd!, BMW Z4 coupé 2007 blue, Mazda Eunos 1996 yellow, VW Passat 2014 black.


We all do silly things/make mistakes, it's how we deal with them that sets us apart from animals and Americans.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Hertsdriver
Nürburgring


Joined: 12 Nov 2018
Posts: 432
Location: Hertfordshire/London

2004 Porsche 997 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GlenB wrote:
I knew there was no dipstick and you had to use the display, but what an incredibly dick way of having to do things. No wonder Porsche charged me so much for an oil and filter change hahaha.

Seriously, what was wrong with the dipstick invention?


I have to agree, it is an idiotic solution to a problem that doesnt exist - a dipstick is much easier Thumb
_________________
My 911 ownership thread: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=134228
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
-- 997 --
Suzuka


Joined: 11 Jun 2015
Posts: 1246



PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, ok this is what im getting!! Picture below, it flashes at first bar deaoite having 7 liters... at least it should show me the 7 liters mark on the level etc.. muat be doing something wring here... before oil change it gave me correct reading!!

Bloody baffled!! Confused Confused Confused Confused


Cheers..

J
 



20191105_082654.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.69 MB
 Viewed:  549 Time(s)

20191105_082654.jpg


  
View user's profile Send private message
   
-- 997 --
Suzuka


Joined: 11 Jun 2015
Posts: 1246



PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops!! Duplicate post !!
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Porschekit
Österreich


Joined: 12 Aug 2014
Posts: 962
Location: North East UK


PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam911 wrote:
It should take at least 8.5 lt in total


As above.....if you're not getting a reading and you've only put 7 litres in then keep putting oil in as 0.4 ltr increments until it starts registering up that scale....you could potentially be 1.5 litres short....
_________________
997.1 C4S Meteor Grey Metalic
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
-- 997 --
Suzuka


Joined: 11 Jun 2015
Posts: 1246



PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porschekit wrote:
Jam911 wrote:
It should take at least 8.5 lt in total


As above.....if you're not getting a reading and you've only put 7 litres in then keep putting oil in as 0.4 ltr increments until it starts registering up that scale....you could potentially be 1.5 litres short....


Hi, am sure the guage can read 7 litres which above the half way line at least etc....

Cheers

J
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
MR997
Trainee


Joined: 05 Mar 2018
Posts: 56



PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are treating the gauge as though it reads the whole quantity of the engine - it doesn't
The total capacity is 8.5ltr. Add .5ltr and repeat the oil check ensuring the car is on flat level ground and see if the gauge rises by 1 bar.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
robro911
Newbie


Joined: 05 Apr 2008
Posts: 28



PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam911 wrote:
It should take at least 8.5 lt in total


I've just done an oil change on my C2 gen 1 today and all I can squeeze into it is 7.6 litres and yes it was completely drained and yes its on level ground !!
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
jl-c
Monza


Joined: 22 Jul 2013
Posts: 224
Location: Shropshire


PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robro911 wrote:
Jam911 wrote:
It should take at least 8.5 lt in total


I've just done an oil change on my C2 gen 1 today and all I can squeeze into it is 7.6 litres and yes it was completely drained and yes its on level ground !!


It holds 9 litres if dry. If you only get 7.6 litres in then you have either not fully drained it or you are reading the display incorrectly or on a hill. Short of a damn big dent in your sump reducing the capacity or a faulty capacity sender, there is no other explanation. Surprised
_________________
Porsche Carrera 2S 2005 black fully Hartech'd!, BMW Z4 coupé 2007 blue, Mazda Eunos 1996 yellow, VW Passat 2014 black.


We all do silly things/make mistakes, it's how we deal with them that sets us apart from animals and Americans.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
deMort
Dijon


Joined: 21 Mar 2015
Posts: 7433
Location: Brighton


PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The min to max lvl is 1.5 liters , if the oil is lower than this then the bottom segment will flash ... yours does so there is not enough oil in the car for it to register on the gauge .

I can say .. with 7 litres in the car it's not enough and you will have what you have already got .. it needs oil adding ( gauge will not read this low ) .

car must be run up to operating temp .. if bottom segment flashes then add 1 ltr .. recheck .. if still flashing then add 0.5 ltr and check .. you will have a reading at this point .

If the car had drained out overnight then about 9 liters is what it will take .

So a lot of this is based on just how long you drained the car for ?

Worst that can happen ... you over fill it .. if 0.5 over fill then it will still be fine ..

If you go massively over then you just have to drain some or all of it out and start again.

Can i just say .. i've drained in excess of 2 litres over filling in cars before and they drove ok .


In short i'm just repeating what has already been said ..

if you are still unsure then i'll PM you my number and i'll go through it on the phone with you Smile
_________________
.

My Daughter's Crowdfunding has hit the target .

Thank you all so Very much .

She's not going until july 2020 though .



Mechanic

7pm - 9pm

Now At An Indy.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
robro911
Newbie


Joined: 05 Apr 2008
Posts: 28



PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jl-c wrote:
robro911 wrote:
Jam911 wrote:
It should take at least 8.5 lt in total


I've just done an oil change on my C2 gen 1 today and all I can squeeze into it is 7.6 litres and yes it was completely drained and yes its on level ground !!


It holds 9 litres if dry. If you only get 7.6 litres in then you have either not fully drained it or you are reading the display incorrectly or on a hill. Short of a damn big dent in your sump reducing the capacity or a faulty capacity sender, there is no other explanation. :o


Interesting comment, but it was certainly drained and on level ground, however I will go back to it tomorrow and recheck the gauge. It was all so much simpler in the aircooled days with a dipstick !!
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
deMort
Dijon


Joined: 21 Mar 2015
Posts: 7433
Location: Brighton


PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robro911 wrote:
jl-c wrote:
robro911 wrote:
Jam911 wrote:
It should take at least 8.5 lt in total


I've just done an oil change on my C2 gen 1 today and all I can squeeze into it is 7.6 litres and yes it was completely drained and yes its on level ground !!


It holds 9 litres if dry. If you only get 7.6 litres in then you have either not fully drained it or you are reading the display incorrectly or on a hill. Short of a damn big dent in your sump reducing the capacity or a faulty capacity sender, there is no other explanation. Surprised


Interesting comment, but it was certainly drained and on level ground, however I will go back to it tomorrow and recheck the gauge. It was all so much simpler in the aircooled days with a dipstick !!


How long did you drain it for ?
_________________
.

My Daughter's Crowdfunding has hit the target .

Thank you all so Very much .

She's not going until july 2020 though .



Mechanic

7pm - 9pm

Now At An Indy.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum