Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Auxiliary input?

dave421

Hi All

Im am new to this forum and new to owning a Porsche. I have a 997 gen 1 and my question is can I retrofit an auxiliary input? Have what I believe is a PCM 2.1 with Bose and a CD player in the car (not a changer unit under the front). Sorry if its been asked before TIA...

Do you have one in the arm rest?

If not I would simply upgrade to a modern double DIN head-unit.

Or Dension/Parrot (Or worst case :-Bluetooth receiver/fm transmitter thingy)

Hi James

I do not think so, I can't find it if I have. Just out of interest how do you select it? I only have radio am/fm or cd input buttons? I have installed a highway 600 so I can have Bluetooth for the phone and dab, it has the options of fm transmission (sounds quality not great) and it also can be hard wired. My plan is to hard wire. Thanks for the reply...

dave421 said:
Hi James

I do not think so, I can't find it if I have. Just out of interest how do you select it? I only have radio am/fm or cd input buttons? I have installed a highway 600 so I can have Bluetooth for the phone and dab, it has the options of fm transmission (sounds quality not great) and it also can be hard wired. My plan is to hard wire. Thanks for the reply...

If you have a cd changed it is a big black box in the frunk.

If you press 'CD' twice it moves from the unit to the changer and the right-hand round button then controls the cd you select.

You can, I believe, play MP3's in the CD player so could get a lot more music on the one CD.

Rich

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the replys, I don't have a cd changer just a navigation dvd drive. I know the PCM is outdated but I do not want to change it really but I have to say it might be a job for next year....

P.S Just gone and had a look and found the wire in the picture around the navigation drive, is the cd changer mounted on top of the navigation unit ?
Does any one know what this wire is for ? If I press the cd button twice I get a message on the screen saying No CD Changer.

Thanks again....

Attachments

• img_2050_227.jpg
    img_2050_227.jpg
    981.1 KB · Views: 2,256
OK, so really you have 2 options:
1. Install a piggyback unit to your current PCM which will give you bluetooth music, phone and an ipod/aux input. However to install this you need to have the phone and CD changer options installed from the factory (or to go to a dealer and get them coded with PIWIS). The units are very easy to install. Search on Amazon/ebay for 'Mr12v', or there are more expensive options which do the same thing from Dension.

2. Ditch the PCM unit for an aftermarket one. This is the easiest option and also gives you a decent up to date NAV system. If your car is non Bose then a simple harness converter can be bought and installed, if you have BOSE then you will need a MOST converter to connect the new head unit to the cars amplifier system.

Lots of threads on both options here if you use the search function. I did the Mr12v unit in my thread, (my car is non bose), but I eventually got frustrated with the outdated NAV unit and put a modern Alpine apple car play unit in so that I can use WAZE which has excellent up to date maps and speed cameras... and it also meant I could install a reversing camera :)

Good luck! :thumb:

Hi Hertsdriver

Thank you for your reply, I will have a think about it but it does look like a new head unit will be the answer. I have managed to get hold of the wiring diagrams so I will see if it was an option and how its wired up. Unfortunately I have not had the car long (6 weeks) and the clutch has gone and the garage won't play ball, so I may have this to do first.....

Thanks again and everyone who has tried to help.......

You can retro fit the auxiliary connection to your 997.1

The part number is 997.044.901.70 and it costs £553 fitted inc. VAT at an official OPC. I'm sure a google will bring up the spec sheet or if you find a tequipment catalogue for the 997.1 it'll be in there.

I had mine fitted in June this year.

If you have an iPhone you'll need to buy an adapter from eBay to match the cable that comes with it for the old iPhone connection to the new smaller lightning connection.

Hope this helps.

Dave, just out of interest .what are you hoping to achieve by fitting n aux input. the reason I ask is that what you want to achieve may well be doable another way if we know what you wanted to achieve . eg are you looking to stream music from another device etc. :thumb: :thumb:

Hi All

Ok what im trying to achieve by fitting an auxiliary input is to connect my highway 600. The 600 gives me dab radio, bluetooth music streaming and bluetooth phone hands free connection all in one. Im not fussed about the nav as I use my phone. The Highway 600 can send the audio over FM, this does work but sound quality is naff. The 600 also has a cable with a headphone connector on the so I can plug it into the auxiliary socket so hopefully the sound is a lot better?

Any ideas....... Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back