Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Service Qualms Advice Needed

AMS911

Trainee
Hi all,

My 997.2 has just been in for its major service. Got the all clear with the health check etc. However when leaving the opc the car wouldn't start. Upon turning the ignition all the lights on the dash flashed up and a clicking noise whilst everything was flashing. Multiple failures shown on the dash e.g pasm failure, headlight failure and some others.

Now I immediately assumed that this was a case of dead battery. We had the car taken back into the service centre and the tech advised I'd need a new battery. They put in the new battery which we assumed would fix the issue, but the car was still doing the same. :dont know:

So I've now left it with them. Any ideas on what else it could be apart from battery?

Also, I purchased the car in March and it had its 111 inspection so the warranty was added by the OPC, however they claim that this doesn't cover battery and have quoted me £220 for the swap including labour, is this reasonable?

Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks !

To answer your question, no it's not reasonable, but that's the going rate. Their game, their rules. Although I'd be arguing that you've spent £220 to not fix the issue. Ask them for consideration on the matter when the final bill comes in

Was it all working fine before the service? No issues at all with starting?

I'd tell them that this is their issue to resolve as it was fine before it was in their care...and to put your old battery back on for now as that doesn't seem to be the problem.

I wonder if they've left the battery disconnected for a while - how long was it with them for?

Does the clicking sound happen when you turn the key to start it, or just at the first turn to get the lights on the dash up?

Clicking when trying to turn the engine over is usually (on any car) either the battery not having enough juice or the starter motor/solenoid.

That sounds cheap for a battery and labour. Aren't batteries usually c£300 on their own which you have to buy to protect warranty :dont know:

Zingari said:
That sounds cheap for a battery and labour. Aren't batteries usually c£300 on their own which you have to buy to protect warranty :dont know:

£220 fitted is cheap. I suspect that it's + VAT.

The latest Moll for a 997 costs £184+VAT less any discount you can negotiate.

So they are swallowing the labour charge as it was a recent purchase. How kind.

I was quoted £220 When mine went on the fritz. Popped down the local place and the Bosch equivalent at £160. So I went for that....went to collect the car and got a bill for just over £200. Got done over for the old, plus VAT sir scam plus disposal fee :frustrated:

If changing the battery didn't fix it you might as well put the old one back in..

Darren.

I would humbly suggest they check the power distributor pin as per the link .. if not that then there is a drain on the car which is discharging the battery .

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=118716&highlight=power+dist

Pretty poor to replace a battery .. not check it and leave it for you to say it has a problem .

I had a new battery at OPC last month. £199.14 fitted incl VAT. Fitted FOC as the car (997.2) was in for sundry other things anyway.

I appreciate all the replies gents,

In terms of the battery yes £220 was quoted including VAT and Labor, going by the responses it's reasonable at least.

However the issue wasn't resolved with the battery swap, so I have asked them to put my original battery back in as it was perfectly fine before it went in for service and I have had no issues in my ownership.

@demort totally agree, they simply swapped out for a new battery on the techs advice. Thanks for highlighting the fault with the power distributor pin, I will raise it with the OPC.

Will keep you guys posted with what I hear back. Thanks

DeMort, your assessment was spot on, as per usual :thumbs:

The OPC is replacing the power distributor pin, parts have been ordered and should be fitted tomorrow fingers crossed.

Thanks again

what worries me is that they didn't find it in the first place .. it's not exactly uncommon and for you to have to tell them .. sigh .. i blame the bonus system ..

The OPC mechanics are usually very good guys .. wave money in their face to rush a job / cut corners and this is what you get .

Its fixed or being fixed though :thumb:

Tell them some random bloke with no experience told you what it was :floor:

deMort said:
what worries me is that they didn't find it in the first place .. it's not exactly uncommon and for you to have to tell them .. sigh .. i blame the bonus system ..

The OPC mechanics are usually very good guys .. wave money in their face to rush a job / cut corners and this is what you get .

Its fixed or being fixed though :thumb:

Tell them some random bloke with no experience told you what it was :floor:

:hand: :floor: :floor: :floor:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back