Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What does the sport button do on a 997.1 GT3?

C11BRA

Suzuka
Hiya.

Me again.

Can you let me know what the SPORT button does on a 997.1 GT3?

I assume that the small extra light on the SPORT switch illuminates when in Sport mode.

Q1. Is there an indication in the instrument cluster that the car is in SPORT mode?

So, I imagine that the DME will select a more aggressive map with improved throttle response etc.
Q2.
Is this instantly noticeable when you select sport. Does the idle speed change for example?

Q3. Does the 997.1 GT3 have exhaust valves & if so, are these influenced by sport mode?

Thanks in advance.

C11BRA said:
I assume that the small extra light on the SPORT switch illuminates when in Sport mode.
Yes, it does.

C11BRA said:
Q1. Is there an indication in the instrument cluster that the car is in SPORT mode?
Yes, it says "SPORT"

C11BRA said:
So, I imagine that the DME will select a more aggressive map with improved throttle response etc.
Correct, a more aggressive map and sharper throttle response.

C11BRA said:
Q2.
Is this instantly noticeable when you select sport. Does the idle speed change for example?
The idle speed doesn't change, but it is instantly noticeable as it opens the exhaust valves.

C11BRA said:
Q3. Does the 997.1 GT3 have exhaust valves & if so, are these influenced by sport mode?
As above, yes it does. They are opened when switching to Sport mode but will also open anyway at around 4,000rpm I believe.

Additionally, unlike the 997.2 Sports Chrono Plus cars with PASM (such as my GTS) on the GT3 when you hit the Sport button it leaves the PASM suspension in Normal and you have to hit the PASM button to put the suspension in Sport. This is pretty handy as the first button I hit after starting the GTS is Sport (which also puts the PASM into Sport) so the next button I push is the PASM button to revert that back to Normal.

Does 'sport' also activate the third central radiator for additonal cooling in GT3 like it does in the GT4 :?:

PASM is not needed in the UK unless you want to lose your fillings :what:

squelch said:
C11BRA said:
Yes, it does.

C11BRA said:
Yes, it says "SPORT"

C11BRA said:

C11BRA said:
Q2.
The idle speed doesn't change, but it is instantly noticeable as it opens the exhaust valves.

C11BRA said:
As above, yes it does. They are opened when switching to Sport mode but will also open anyway at around 4,000rpm I believe.

Additionally, unlike the 997.2 Sports Chrono Plus cars with PASM (such as my GTS) on the GT3 when you hit the Sport button it leaves the PASM suspension in Normal and you have to hit the PASM button to put the suspension in Sport. This is pretty handy as the first button I hit after starting the GTS is Sport (which also puts the PASM into Sport) so the next button I push is the PASM button to revert that back to Normal.

Brilliant. Thank you.

The only 'map" that changes in sport mode is the torque curve as a result of the timing of the exhaust flaps opening a tad earlier. There is no throttle map change. It engages a slightly less aggressive traction control.

Zingari said:
Does 'sport' also activate the third central radiator for additonal cooling in GT3 like it does in the GT4 :?:

PASM is not needed in the UK unless you want to lose your fillings :what:

PASM isnt about creating a stiff car. It's active and hence will be soft when it should be soft and hard when it should be hard. It works in a window both sides of a passive suspension.

Sport has zero effect on radiators on this car. :thumb:

Senoj said:
The only 'map" that changes in sport mode is the torque curve as a result of the timing of the exhaust flaps opening a tad earlier. There is no throttle map change. It engages a slightly less aggressive traction control.
It's a bit more complex than just exhaust flaps (they're open all the time in Sport). It's a different map and throttle response is noticeably sharper. Here's a pic of the section in my owner's manual:

Attachments

• sport_734.jpeg
    sport_734.jpeg
    374.5 KB · Views: 6,017
I've had two .1's and there was zero difference in power delivery or throttle response when in sport mode.

The exhaust valves are open in sport mode at idle, they then close until approx 3600 rpm. In normal mode they are closed at idle and open around 4000 rpm. That's what minimally changes the torque curve. So I suppose you could call that a map if you were the marketeer writing the manual.

Though why you would not want your torque 'optimised" all the time I'm not sure.

Just my personal experience :thumb:

Senoj said:
I've had two .1's and there was zero difference in power delivery or throttle response when in sport mode.
:eek: I've only owned my current one so I have no frame of reference in other 997.1GT3's but in my car the difference is clear - so much so that, as I pretty much always drive in Sport, when I revert to Normal (to quieten the exhaust if I make a phonecall) it feels almost lifeless (for want of a better word) and the throttle pedal requires much more distance of travel. In Sport mode I seldom need go past halfway.

Senoj said:
The exhaust valves are open in sport mode at idle, they then close until approx 3600 rpm. In normal mode they are closed at idle and open around 4000 rpm. That's what minimally changes the torque curve. So I suppose you could call that a map if you were the marketeer writing the manual.
Surely valves in the exhaust won't change the torque delivery as markedly as is clear to feel in my car when in Sport. And the exhaust is consistently louder throughout the rev range whereas, as you rightly say, in Normal it's "quiet" until they open at 4k. :? :? :?

squelch said:
C11BRA said:
Yes, it does.

C11BRA said:
Yes, it says "SPORT"

C11BRA said:

C11BRA said:
Q2.

C11BRA said:

If you fit the DSC PASM controller a by product is PASM is not engaged automatically with the sport button AND it remembers your last setting on startup :wink:

PASM does not change with the sport button. :thumb: totally independent.

Senoj said:

Though why you would not want your torque 'optimised" all the time I'm not sure.

Just my personal experience :thumb:

I would agree with this ^, I've had my car over 8 years and I think Sport is just there to mess with the exhaust valves and make the car sound more 'sporty'. I can't say I've noticed any difference performance-wise with the Sport button engaged either. PASM I leave alone as well because the suspension just goes unpleasantly rock hard. The only button of the 3 that I use is the TC button which I hit on trackdays to stop the car eating it's rear brakes pads (and make it handle more predictably ...)

This is interesting, I don't have a SPORT button on my 2007MY C4S ?

Which seems a bit odd reading the posts above as it is a S ?

C4Silver said:
This is interesting, I don't have a SPORT button on my 2007MY C4S ?

Which seems a bit odd reading the posts above as it is a S ?

It's only there if you have the Sports Chrono Package fitted (the silly stop watch thing on the top of the dash)

squelch said:
Senoj said:
It's a bit more complex than just exhaust flaps (they're open all the time in Sport). It's a different map and throttle response is noticeably sharper. Here's a pic of the section in my owner's manual:

It's a bit confusing, but the key part of the excerpt / image you included in your post is the last sentence, which says torque values are the same whether the Sport button is on or off

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilmslowSi
Back