Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Think I have blown my Tip gearbox!?

barefoot

Monza
Bought one of these for my late 2002 996 Tiptronic Turbo and fitted it today. Car ran fine then later on in the journey I floored the throttle at around 20mph and there was a huge bang from the back! There was a continual grinding knocking noise with each wheel revolution as I slowed down it drove into a car park I was right next to but once the RAC came it lost drive. The engine has good oil pressure and ticks over OK but it sounds to me like the box has gone. Had the car 3 years never a problem then I fit this bloody thing and 1st time I floored it bang! Anyone any ideas what it sounds like and if its a box what sort of money am I looking at?

I'm afraid i know very little about aftermarket items but atm i'm unsure the gearbox has blown up so to say ..

I'm thinking perhaps a driveshaft cv joint or bolts have let go .. at least i'm hoping that's the fault .

hand and twisting on the driveshaft each side will soon say if its loose or not .

does a turbo need a boost ?

mattomg said:
does a turbo need a boost ?

This improves throttle response by increasing the signal sent when you push the pedal down..

As above, hopefully not a tip box issue as it will throw up the Emergency Run code on the dash!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back