Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

CTEK not charging ?

cvega

Nurburgring
Hiya, I have a ctek mxs 5.0 plugged into ciggy lighter in my c2 with the LED indicator.
Odd situation : ctek is sitting at 7, but the led on the indicator flashes red. Shouldn't the charger tell me if it cannot charge the battery ?

I've had a similar situation in the past.
Try turning the bit that you plug into the cigarette lighter socket through 90 degrees so that it makes a better connection with the terminals hidden inside the body of the socket. It worked for me. Mine wasn't connecting, but fiddling around like this made it work.
However it was intermittent, so I now just connect to the battery terminals, it only takes a couple of minutes and the CTEK cable can be easily accommodated when you close the lid, so no interior frunk lights are on while charging.

Thanks, I might do that (direct to battery) and see what happens.

Just remember to unplug the charger if its plugged in via the frunk.

I managed to reverse my car out of the garage and drive off down the road without disconnecting it :sad:

I had a similar situation where I plugged in the CTEK via the ciggy lighter socket and all seemed fine but when I next came to use the car it had lost connection. Switched to battery terminal charging via the frunk and all has been fine since. I put it down to a dodgy lighter socket, as it's also eaten a couple of FM transmitters over the years, but it may well have been as simple as needing to rotate the plug in the socket as Porschekit suggests.

When you its at 7, do you mean 7 volts? If so Im pretty sure it wont start to charge until about 9 volts, you need to use a charger to get some life into it

...my 996 is on the same charger and following several experiences of the ctek when connected for long periods apparently not charging I turn it off and on again about once per week...

Also on my R129 Mercedes I have driven out of the garage about three times with the charger connected ripping the socket of the wall in the process because the battery is in the boot...so get in start up pull away and crunch ! Follow by FFS!

Billy Bumpsteer said:
When you its at 7, do you mean 7 volts? If so Im pretty sure it wont start to charge until about 9 volts, you need to use a charger to get some life into it

No, I meant CTEK was sitting at level 7 out of 8 charging stages.

I've connected straight to battery and it seems to be charging now.
Bloody 12v sockets.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back