Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Diy Starter Motor Replacement

deMort

Monaco
A couple of images of whats needed to be removed to replace a starter motor .

Battery neg lead disconnected.

Air box off ..

Throttle housing removed .. undo the jubilee clips each side and push the rubber sleeve onto the inlet manifold to remove .

Alternator removal is needed to get at the lower starter bolt .. it's possible without this but i find it easier .

Check the lead on the starter for corrosion ( copper wire won't be copper in color ) .. any blackening or obvious heating then replace .

Starter is a bit of a juggle to remove but it does come out .

To refit an alternator .. the sliding bush is the pain here .. Do Not just fit a bolt into it and hit it .. alternator bracket must be supported .. i use a large socket on the floor to support the bracket .. socket is large enough that the slide bush will fit inside but small enough it supports the bracket.

Fit bolt ..

A couple of taps is enough .. a few mm of movement is all that's needed .

To refit the lower starter bolt .. a bit of paper over your socket .. push the bolt into this .. it will now be held in place and you can use a long extension to fit it ... grease will also work.

Right click on image and select open in new tab ( chrome ) to get the full sized images .

Or if lazy then press ctrl button and scroll in with mouse wheel .. everything will be big then lol .

Attachments

• starter_2_637.jpg
    starter_2_637.jpg
    456.3 KB · Views: 3,661
  • starter_1_110.jpg
    starter_1_110.jpg
    482.4 KB · Views: 3,661
Mines ready for doing again. Once every 20 or so times it squeals like a [insert something squeals].

Excellent tip with the paper in the socket, must remember that one mate :thumb:

You can clean the bendix ( end part of the starter ) and the noise will go .. well .. for a while .. for us we would have to replace it in that situation.

996 is obviously very similar to this but im afraid i have no images of one of them apart :oops:

Yeah, did a write-up on it a few years ago:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=101392

Alex said:
My starter motor has been screeching for the last 3 months or so, so with the weather being ok this afternoon, I thought I'd have a bash at sorting it out.

It was doing this half the time:

So I whipped it out, gave it a clean and some grease and back in. Time will tell if I've managed to cure it but as yet it seems fine.

Couple of pics and a how to below:

First disconnect the battery (with the key in the ignition to prevent alarm sounding) as the starter has a live direct to it.

DSC02050_zpseimw0d2f.jpg

Then start stripping all the parts out that are in the way, firstly the airbox. Disconnect the MAF sensor and undo the jubilee clip to the throttle body before removing the box (clamped in with one bolt in the middle at the front/back of the box).

DSC02051_zps36fuz4wx.jpg

Then disconnect the AOS air pipe from the plenum and power lead from the throttle body before undoing the 4 screws holding the body on (the bottom left one also has a clamp on that supports the body to the engine as well as the intake plenum, although mine was sheared off).

DSC02055_zpsk5zk5a1o.jpg

Before removing the plenum, undo the inner jubilee clips and rotate the plenum to break the seal.

DSC02057_zps2tauiqsd.jpg

Then re-tighten and do the same with the outer clips. Once all seals are cracked, undo all 4 jubilee clips and push the rubber pipes outwards away from the plenum. It can then be wriggled out.

DSC02058_zpssxmywjv7.jpg

Once removed you can see the starter motor.

DSC02061_zpsxmml36tc.jpg

Disconnect both earth lead and power lead from the soleniod.

DSC02062_zpsroyuvwbm.jpg

Now remove the 2 bolts holding the starter motor on (the one on the right that's visible was quite easy, the one out of sight a bit of a mare).

DSC02063_zpsdw3kf94l.jpg

At this point, job ground to a halt because my 1/2" to 3/8" reducer snapped :nooo:

DSC02066_zpsg2qdmbfv.jpg

So I had to nip up to my Dad's and rob his socket set whilst he's on holiday. At this point, the job became a bit harder as I had to use to 3/8" extensions and they weren't long enough so I was limited on access, but managed to get the other bolt out (and graze my hands!)

The other bolt is hidden in the depths of this photo (note I removed the LH rubber intake pipe to give myself more access) .

DSC02064_zpsitdvomnr.jpg

The starter just slides right out then.

DSC02067_zpswwb9jtmj.jpg

Didn't look too dirty when I removed it and was a bit surprised as I thought it would be caked in clutch dust.

DSC02068_zpsx4eln6ka.jpg

Gave it a good clean up and pulled the bendix drive out and applied some silicone grease round it. Whipped the cover plate off the back too and greased that end.

DSC02069_zps4fgtyvry.jpg

Put it all back together in reverse order, fired it up a few times and as yet, not a screech so hopefully cured it, but time will tell.

Was going to strip the solenoid down but the bolts holding it in are well and truly rusted up so left that for another time if need be.

Now to order myself a new reducer for my socket set.

Excellent .. that covers both models for the new people that have joined since then :thumb:

Btw .. toilet paper is better than newspaper .. it's the closest to what we use at work to hold a bolt in a socket for those difficult to reach areas .

:thumbs:

Edit: Still got that S3 battery on and it was on when I bought it nearly 6 years ago :grin:

I can vouch for the DeMort method (Thanks Iain!) I used it a while back following catastrophic starter failure which left me marooned on my own drive.
I used a 3/8" drive torx set with extension, 3/8 - 1/2 inch adapter, 1/2" extension and breaker bar to access and ultimately undo to pesky bolts holding the starter motor in. The hardest part for me was refitting the sodding rubber sleeves from the throttle housing.
Having done this- lucky me- my alternator failed a few months later which meant I was able to renew that in less than half an hour.

Starter!

Good write up! My starter failed completely on a wet raining morning the very day porsche were coming to collect my car for some paint work (courtesy of my Insurance)!
It was winched onto the lorry, however Pupa P wanted £875 for the starter alone? WT?

I refused and got it to my indi as I wanted the power cable (alternator starter) replaced as well, I was really busy so didn't have time. (Poor excuse).

I supplied a new Hella starter motor from Hella by Design 911 which cost me £165.

Hole job cost me £400. At tha5 price really wasn't worth me worrying about considering we was dealing with a race meet at Sneterton at the time.

Lee.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robertcloftus
Back