Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Remember cheap Left Hookers

Alex

I'll always remember when people used to buy left hand drive 911s as they were much cheaper way of getting in to 911 ownership.......and people mocking them for doing it too. Didn't Hammond used to get mocked off Clarkson for it?

Anyway, over more recent times things seem to have swung the other way (unless you want a Fezzer which still seem much cheaper on the continent). I've noticed the price of 911s in France quite high now compared to the UK and spotted this '97 996 in Nice the other day:

Year: 1997
Mileage: 141k
Variant: C2
Gearbox: Manual

Price: £25k

pDNNH9m.jpg

u8HaccW.jpg

BAeP9Jz.jpg

So are we now at a time when people over the channel who may want a cheaper option into 911 ownership will start buying Right Hookers?
Normally I wouldn't think twice about it but when you start seeing like for like cars at double the price, it makes you think. :dont know:

Alex said:
So are we now at a time when people over the channel who may want a cheaper option into 911 ownership will start buying Right Hookers?
Normally I wouldn't think twice about it but when you start seeing like for like cars at double the price, it makes you think. :dont know:

It has already happened. If you go searching for things like cheap Boxsters on German sites you will usually find RHD examples right at the bottom of the price scale and often the occasional 996 too.

Cheap left hookers stopped being a thing quite a few year back now - the point being that thanks to pan-european (indeed global, hence the steady flow back across the Atlantic of US examples) used car searches : if something is genuinely cheap then it goes home to a continental buyer. Meanwhile you don't tend to get the reverse as over here prices do still fall to essentially naff all and most of the market is addicted to financing new cars rather than spending actual money on old ones...

I had a LHD 964 cab a few years back, was originally a Jap import, had a RUF front bumper, the Japanese do love a mod or two!
Couldn't garner any interest for it here when I wanted to sell it. advertised it on AutoScout in Germany and received a decent amount of calls and ultimately a sale. Even with exchange rates and bank charges the buyer still saved a good few thousand euros compared to what he would have paid in his homeland.
LHD will always appeal to euro market.
Wonder how many long hoods have gone from Germany to U.S.A. Then to here in the 80's and then back to Germany in recent years?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back