Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Resetting airbag light.

Les Richards

Nurburgring
Afternoon all, I recently changed my steering wheel to a 3-spoke type from a 996. The changeover was easy enough but now, you guessed it, the airbag light is permanently on.

Searched on here for relevant topics but all seemed to involve readers/scanners of some sort or another and even then, not always with success.

Is there an easy fix for this, please?

Mine car's 1994 vintage.

Thanks.

Did all that, with the diodes (too many to remember) and correct durametric, many times....the light would just come back on.

Bulb (airbag) now removed and I button pressed every journey :roll:

I take it you didnt disconnect the battery Les? Probably a faulty clock spring then, it should reset if there is no fault, if it comes back on there is a fault in the system. I have changed many 993 wheels for 996 ones and had no problems with lights

Yes, disconnected the battery and left it over night before attempting the change. Biggest concern was that of the airbag deploying if the battery wasn't isolated.

The swap is/was straight forward as you know after that.

Was slightly off centre when I tried it so repeated the procedure again yesterday to realign the wheel.

Same with the battery, same outcome with the light.

Sorry, meant to write "I take it you did disconnect the battery" . I fear you may have damaged or misaligned the clock spring then, as you saw they are delicate! Really needs to be plugged into a decent machine now

Clock spring? Not heard of that.

Please enlighten me.

Airbag light

Clock spring is the part round the steering column that you plug connector into.
I have had airbag problem in the past and people jump to conclusion it is the clock spring but in my case it was the airbag module. I had the car to 2 indies who did not diagnose this.
It was only when it went to Newcastle OPC did it get fixed . Durametric and Bosch hammer did not get to the root of the problem at Indies.

Somewhat belatedly, I've referred to my Bentley manual where it says turning the ignition on with the airbag removed will set an airbag system fault code and resetting will require a Porsche scan tool. I don't recall turning the ignition on but may have done so perhaps that's the next move.

Probably got lulled into a false sense of my own ability in as much as the general consensus was that the swap was straight forward; well, I suppose it is but there are one or two subtleties now evident to consider!

Bentley appears scant on specifics about the clock spring - I take it that's the disc with the writing on it seen once the wheel is off? In the two views in the Manual it appears in slightly different positions around the shaft but that may be because the steering has been turned. Is the clock spring actually fixed to anything or just 'floating'?

Yep I have the very same issue, I've attached half dozen different readers and none of them have worked.

It's going into Bolton OPC to be reset over winter at some point.

Trev

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back