Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 c4s fuel tank capacity?

AK996

Hi

After many years I finally bought a Porsche 911 (996 c4s)

The low fuel message appeared saying I had 34 miles left to empty tank so I filled up to the brim. It took just 29 litres and the tank was full? The fuel gauge shows full and the trip shows 204 miles range.Have driven apprx 40 miles and the gauge shows 3/4 so seems to be working.

Is this normal or is something wrong?

Any help would be appreciated

Normal, C4 tanks only gauge the first half or so of the tank, do a search, it comes up alot!

As above. the gauge only measures the top 2/3rds then its guess work off the ECU.

Tank holds around 62 litres.

Thanks for the quick replies.
I searched the posts where the fuel gauge did not register a small top up, did not realise the same issue would be there when the fuel gauge shows full.

So will not really know the true range will be.

Will get some getting used to.

Thanks

Its possible the previous owner/dealer put a bit of fuel in as the range had gotten low, but for the reasons pointed out above the car did not register it. Once you filled it up then it correctly registered.

Enjoy your new car!

The fuel tank holds 63 litres so a refill that took only 29 ltrs is approx 50 % of the tanks capacity .

It wasn't totally empty but had approx 9 ltrs left in it till empty.

38 ltrs measured so we are missing 25 ltrs ??

The calculated value IMHO is roughly bottom third so approx 20 ltrs .

I would run it again until it says empty then see how much fuel you put into the car .. if still 30 ish liters then it's not right .

My suspicion is you need a fuel sender calibration doing as the calculated amount seems to be missing .

From memory and i thought that a full tank gave a range of approx 285 miles .

Quote from another post ...

it is 64 litres. But I've crammed 67l in with 10m still showing on range, but that's including the spout.
Not sure why it's important though. Just fill up when the remaining range gets below your comfort level.
You should get a range of 250-270m if you're urban, or thrashing it, and up to high 400's on a long run at motorway speeds.

Attachments

• tank_1_147.jpg
    tank_1_147.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 5,496
Thank you for all the replies and the link.

Although i have the car the dealer will be checking it over and servicing it next week and handing it over to me officially. I will let him know that it needs a fuel sender calibration so that really has helped thank you.
I will of course take your advice and run it low and refuel to full.

I have now driven in town for 50 miles, the range has dropped from 204 at full tank down to 75 miles, trip showing 14.8 mpg So as it stands I will be getting 125 miles to a full tank.

Nice to know theres help out there.

The other alternative is that the tank has partially collapsed.

If the pressure release valve does not work, then the tank can implode and buckle.

As a result the capacity of the tank would be reduced. If the bottom half is ok but the top half is collapsed, then you would get your fuel warning (based on guess work by the ecu but approx. 10 litres left) but would not be able to put in 55 odd litres.

I hope this makes sense.

Paul

Unfortunately that does make sense.
Hope its not that, sounds like a big job.
I am dropping it back to the dealer next week so will definitely let him know.
There are a few other things he should be sorting out so hope he will do it properly before the car is officially handed over to me.
I will post some pics later.

Thank you

The other things:

Air con not working, makes a noise and blows more but not cold.
Electric Passenger seat one function up/down not working, just makes clicking noise.
No CD for SAt Nav- so I do not know if it works.
Rear parking sensor works sometimes but mostly just beeps continuously.
Cracked Driver Side indicator lense.
Bonnet does not stay up after a drive, seems to stay up when cold.
Fuel gauge as mentioned.
Creaky dashboard.

I still have a week to discover more, anything I should look out for or check?

The other things:

Air con not working, makes a noise and blows more but not cold.
Electric Passenger seat one function up/down not working, just makes clicking noise.
No CD for SAt Nav- so I do not know if it works.
Rear parking sensor works sometimes but mostly just beeps continuously.
Cracked Driver Side indicator lense.
Bonnet does not stay up after a drive, seems to stay up when cold.
Fuel gauge as mentioned.
Creaky dashboard.

I still have a week to discover more, anything I should look out for or check?

A/C will make a noise when its low on gas , turn off the a/c and the noise should go. usual fault is a small leak in either the condensers or the a/c pipe connection by the o/s/r wheel .

Seat fault .. motor or cable from that motor is jammed .

Nav might not be fitted , what pcm unit do you have and what message comes up when you press the nav button ?

lens .. new one req.

Bonnet .. bonnet stays / shocks required .

Creaky dashboard .. hell a lot of different things that can be .. sound clip / video is needed to start the ball rolling there .

Hi

I do not the which pcm it is but when I press the navigation button it asks to insert the CD, which the dealer says he will have ready for me.

I put the car on a friends ramp and he discovered:

Front near side
Perished bump stop
excessive play on lower ball joint
stabiliser link excessive play

Offside
excessive play on ball joint
excessive play stabiliser link

Both rear stabiliser excessive play
Break fluid had water content
Air con rads look oily?

Now I know why the car seems to jerk/slide just a bit now and then, I thought it was the hard suspension which i am not used to.
I will email the dealer to let him know but am wondering if they will actually take care of everything or let some things go and give me a new MOT.

Is it unreasonable for me to expect the dealer to rectify all this as the car is quite old?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back