Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
992 : 2019- 0
991 : 2011- 22
997 : 2004- 65
996 : 1997-2005 32
993 : 1993-1998 5
964 : 1989-1993 2
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 3
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 1
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 30
Cayman : 2005- 22
Cayenne : 2003- 6
Macan : 2014- 8
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [992] 2018-Current
Porsche 911 [992]
911 [991] 2011-2019
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-2012
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Ade_MK

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: New Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersports Reply with quote

Hi Everyone

I've been seeing increasingly good things online about these new F1s and seem to recall reading somewhere that they were developed along side Porsche.

However I cannot find anything regarding the "N" rating situation about them?

Does anyone have any info regarding their status of "N-ness" Rolling Eyes

I'm likely to be in a new tyres situation within the next few months so thought i'd ask, otherwise I will being going for Pilot Sports 4S as I've had them before and found them to be very good Cool

Thanks in advance

Ade

Porsche News
Motoring Editor
Motoring Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only Goodyear is the "Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3" which is NA0 Porsche Approved

Porsche tyre approval can be a mystery when a few years back the vastly superior Michelin PS4 Super Sport didnt achieve N rated status

FOLLOW 911UK ON TWITTER

Ade_MK

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porsche News wrote:
the only Goodyear is the "Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3" which is NA0 Porsche Approved

Porsche tyre approval can be a mystery when a few years back the vastly superior Michelin PS4 Super Sport didnt achieve N rated status

Thanks for the reply, you're correct about it being some form of mystery?!?

I'm particularly confused by this one though as I'm sure I read an article in Evo or similar that was almost like an advert for Porsche and Goodyear regarding the development of this tyre range, so much so I assumed it would be "obviously" available as N rated....

Ah well I really should have learnt the lesson about assumptions by now frustrated

andrews7889

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This EVO article seems to claim it is N rated in GTxRS sizes at least.

https://www.evo.co.uk/article/201613/goodyear-eagle-f1-supersport-picked-by-porsche

Regards
Andrew

FZP
Estoril

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I seemed to read that as well somewhere. Super high performance tyre

911Time
Monza

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ade, the list of Porsche approved tyres for summer, winter and all-season is here in pdf format:

https://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesandservice/porscheservice/vehicleinformation/tyreapproval/

According to the list the only approved tyre from Goodyear for the 991 is the Eagle F1 Assymetric 2 in 19" fitment.

If you're on 20" rims then the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is the tyre to go for - I have a set of these on mine and they suit the car perfectly: excellent grip & braking, ride well and inspire confidence. Thumb

I'm not a perfectionist - I just want everything done 'Right' Wink

Current: GT Silver 991.1 C4S with a few 'special bits'. Previous: C63 Estate, BMW e92 330d Coupe (700Nm/Custom Exh/Map/BBK/Quaife/Breytons), ML63AMG, Alpina e46 B3S Coupe, Alpina e36 B3 Coupe, Lotus Excel SE, Alfasud Green Cloverleaf Ti, Lancia HPE, Capri 2.0S, Marina 1.8 (don't laugh it was my first road car) plus boring company cars. Bikes: Suzuki TL1000R and BMW R1100S AC Schnitzer.

gilford
Spa-Francorchamps

2014 Porsche 991 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got PS4s all round on my C4s, cracking tyre!

On a side note, what pressure is everyone running now the weather has turned?

I'm getting a lot of scrubbing on full lock and have heard tyre pressure can alter this?

911Time
Monza

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gilford,

The scrubbing on full-lock that you describe is called 'crabbing' and is partly down to the cars suspension geometry and the width of the front tyres, so it's always going to be there to some extent - it's just that with summer tyres when the rubber gets colder and therefore harder, it tends to skip over the surface to 'unload' the pent up forces.

Reducing the tyre pressure on your 20" summer tyres below 2.2 bar wouldn't really be a good idea IMHO.

If you're going to use the car during the winter, then the best solution would be to fit a set of winter wheels/tyres on 19" rims, these have a taller sidewall than the 20" summer tyres and the rubber compound is more flexible at lower temps - the upshot being more compliance in the sidewall (less crabbing) plus the tyres will offer far superior grip during the cold/wet/snowy weather and provide more confidence.

You can usually pick up a set of 19" winter wheels/part used winter tyres for a 991 for around £,1500 - £1,700 on eBay and if you don't need them or want to store them, you can always move them on next year without losing much.

HTH Smile

Current: GT Silver 991.1 C4S with a few 'special bits'. Previous: C63 Estate, BMW e92 330d Coupe (700Nm/Custom Exh/Map/BBK/Quaife/Breytons), ML63AMG, Alpina e46 B3S Coupe, Alpina e36 B3 Coupe, Lotus Excel SE, Alfasud Green Cloverleaf Ti, Lancia HPE, Capri 2.0S, Marina 1.8 (don't laugh it was my first road car) plus boring company cars. Bikes: Suzuki TL1000R and BMW R1100S AC Schnitzer.

spongebob squarepants
Zolder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

911Time wrote:
Hi Ade, the list of Porsche approved tyres for summer, winter and all-season is here in pdf format:

https://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesandservice/porscheservice/vehicleinformation/tyreapproval/

According to the list the only approved tyre from Goodyear for the 991 is the Eagle F1 Assymetric 2 in 19" fitment.

If you're on 20" rims then the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is the tyre to go for - I have a set of these on mine and they suit the car perfectly: excellent grip & braking, ride well and inspire confidence. Thumb

MPS are great tyres but bizarly only available in 'N' fitment for 991 widebody application (unless you happen to have the 20" Sport Technos on a non widebody car

Apparently other colours are available?

911Time
Monza

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Well spotted Sponge Thumb I forget sometimes mine is a widebody...til I look in the door mirrors Very Happy

What's odd is if you read the approved fitment chart, Porsche appear to have approved MPS 4S for Carrera and Carrera S models on the 8.5x20 front wheels but not on the 11x20 rears?? Dont know

squelch
Montreal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gilford wrote:
I'm getting a lot of scrubbing on full lock and have heard tyre pressure can alter this?

This is probably the "Ackermann Effect" which is a characteristic of the steering geometry when turning tightly (ie full lock) whereby the outside wheels are obviously travelling further than the inside wheels which can cause a scrubbing / jumping / skipping effect. It is more pronounced on some cars than others and pretty common on Porsche 911's.
Gone but not forgotten: 996 C4S, 964, 924

riano

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in my local OPC on Friday getting 4 PS4S N0 fitted and noticed the brand new 992 they had in the showroom had these Goodyear F1 Supersports fitted despite them not being N spec which I was surprised at as thought you needed to have N spec tyres Confused

I find the PS4S have totally transformed the car, I bought a 2018 991.2 GTS that came with Pirellis in August and to be honest was a bit disappointed with the handling but I suspected it was due to the tyres. I found the Pirellis always felt like they were scrubbing/skipping across the surface of the road - particularly the fronts which I thought were absolutely dreadful in the wet and the tyres still had plenty of tread 6/7mm F and 4/5 R but the difference with the PS4S N0 is absolutely night and dad, so much more grip and the car really feels planted now and no more of the sliding feeling. Also been a massive reduction in the crabbing on full lock too.

spongebob squarepants
Zolder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

911Time wrote:
Embarassed Well spotted Sponge Thumb I forget sometimes mine is a widebody...til I look in the door mirrors Very Happy

What's odd is if you read the approved fitment chart, Porsche appear to have approved MPS 4S for Carrera and Carrera S models on the 8.5x20 front wheels but not on the 11x20 rears?? Dont know

I sometimes wonder if it’s a mistake and the rears are actually available Dont know
I’m stuck with the truly terrible Pirellis, dangerous in the wet, good job Herman’s a dry weather Porsche Grin

Apparently other colours are available?

Magic919
Barcelona

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They list the rears on the 11.5 rim, just not the 11.

Ade_MK

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies and information gents Thumb

So it seems like they're definitely not N rated yet but quite possibly soon if they're fitting them from the factory on the new 992?

Then i guess we into the minefield of if the new sizes align with our older model sizes for more N rated options to be available to us...

Ade

gonesailing
Trainee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spoken to my local OPC today about tyres. Entirely clueless, and not even aware of the tyre approval spec sheet, but he did confirm that any N rated tyre with matching N rating code on each corner was sufficient.

I have P Zeros on mine with new rears required soon. Are the MPS 4S really that much better? i'm happy to ditch my almost new fronts to have all 4 matching, obviously, but interested to hear how the P Zero performs in the wet, because mine doesn't have the luxury of sitting still, and is out in all weathers.

Didn't know a thing about winter tyres, other than i should buy a set of wheels and tyres. Asked about centre locks for the GTS and that really threw him!

I have seen comments suggesting their OPC will fit tyres if they are supplied by the internet. However, what does your OPC charge for each order? Mine seemed to think it was £75 a corner.

Ex 997.1 C2S

riano

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gonesailing wrote:
Just spoken to my local OPC today about tyres. Entirely clueless, and not even aware of the tyre approval spec sheet, but he did confirm that any N rated tyre with matching N rating code on each corner was sufficient.

I have P Zeros on mine with new rears required soon. Are the MPS 4S really that much better? i'm happy to ditch my almost new fronts to have all 4 matching, obviously, but interested to hear how the P Zero performs in the wet, because mine doesn't have the luxury of sitting still, and is out in all weathers.

Didn't know a thing about winter tyres, other than i should buy a set of wheels and tyres. Asked about centre locks for the GTS and that really threw him!

I have seen comments suggesting their OPC will fit tyres if they are supplied by the internet. However, what does your OPC charge for each order? Mine seemed to think it was £75 a corner.

I was in a very similar situation, I got my 911.2 GTS RWD in August that came with the P zeros. To be honest I was disappointed in the handling, especially in the wet and I had a feeling it was due to the tyres. The P zeros were ok in the dry but a liability in the wet if you wanted to even remotely push the car so I changed to PS4S N0 last week and the difference was night and day, it literally feels like driving a totally different car. My Pirellis still had plenty of tread and I was weary about paying for 4 new tyres in case they didn't make a difference but I had PS4S on my M4 previously and knew how good they were. My car is a daily and I've got MUCH more confidence now. If you push the car at all you will notice a massive difference.

I purchased the tyres elsewhere and got my OPC to fit, they charged £144 including VAT but I assume different OPCs will charge different rates but £75 a corner seems excessive compared to mine and I live in NI and we only have one OPC so they don't even have to be competitive.

gonesailing
Trainee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

riano wrote:
gonesailing wrote:

My car is RWD too, so wouldn't say no to more confidence in the wet.

glad they are worth the money, it's PS4S or Alpin winters going on next.

I was in a very similar situation, I got my 911.2 GTS RWD in August that came with the P zeros. To be honest I was disappointed in the handling, especially in the wet and I had a feeling it was due to the tyres. The P zeros were ok in the dry but a liability in the wet if you wanted to even remotely push the car so I changed to PS4S N0 last week and the difference was night and day, it literally feels like driving a totally different car. My Pirellis still had plenty of tread and I was weary about paying for 4 new tyres in case they didn't make a difference but I had PS4S on my M4 previously and knew how good they were. My car is a daily and I've got MUCH more confidence now. If you push the car at all you will notice a massive difference.

I purchased the tyres elsewhere and got my OPC to fit, they charged £144 including VAT but I assume different OPCs will charge different rates but £75 a corner seems excessive compared to mine and I live in NI and we only have one OPC so they don't even have to be competitive.

Ex 997.1 C2S

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: