Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Power steering fluid - how old's yours?

Alex

A couple of weeks ago my low pressure pipe blew off the end of the rack (common fault according to Demort). My mechanic fixed it for me last weekend and at the same time filled with new Pentosin CHF stuff. As far as I know the original was original, i.e. 19 years old. I must say, the steering is different - so much lighter. Can't believe the new stuff has made a difference. One of those things you never really think of changing but surprised at how different it's made it. :dont know:

Who'd've thunk?

My low pressure pipe blew off at the ferrule on the steering rack about 3 years ago, I fixed with 2 x jubilee clips, can`t say that I noticed any difference in the steeing with new fluid, maybe it had been replaced, I`d have to check through the mountain of paperwork to see if it has :thumb:

Maybe mine had previously been topped up with 7UP :dont know:

I've been replacing mine gradually by sucking the reservoir dry with a syringe and topping up with fresh fluid every 100km or so. All changed now, and the pump is definitely quieter. Little to no difference in steering feel.

Just for info: there's 1.3 litres in there.

Is there a way to drain the system and re-fill, without having to disconnect the pipes to the steering rack.

I suppose you could disconnect from the reservoir and let the new stuff pump through. Its bright green like snot new so you'd see when its all pumped through.

...if it were me then I would be inclined to drain the reservoir and fill with fresh fluid, drive it for a bit and rinse,repeat....

This would be the simplest way of refreshing the system...in fact I think I will...

I have just done my Vito, take off low pressure pipe to reservoir, connect a metre or so of clear tube, oh have a drip tray under car and as you remove the hose from the reservoir replace it with a bent over bit of rubber pipe held together with a zip lock to stop fluid escaping. Jack front of car up enough to have wheels off the ground.
Have a helper to turn the steering slowly from lock to lock, the fluid will start to come out the clear pipe, as it does so top the reservoir up, don't let the fluid get to low before topping up, I used a funnel with a piece of tube on, the diameter size of the reservoir hole.
Remember you do not won't to get air into the system, you should see the fluid colour change, when you do, you know you have replaced it completely.
Reattach the low pressure hose, again turn the steering lock to lock just to clear any air you will see inside the reservoir any bubbles, if air is present. Top to correct level and that's that. Keep everything spotlessly clean, clean around the reservoir before and after, you do not won't any grit or whatever in the system. Can mess up your rack.
You must use the correct fluid spec for your car, pick your moment and get 60%off eurocar parts or gsf, or of course Porsche.

Please note I am not a mechanic, this is just what I did, personally if there's nothing wrong leave well alone, sounds like it's more to do with the pipe fittings, I would check those.

I must admit this is not something i've ever considered ..

There is no service interval for changing this fluid and i always assumed it wouldn't make a difference .. for an owner to say it does then i go along with that .. i'm not a driver and so dont know these things .

To the point it might be worth recommending this on a service
:?:

A total drain out would be problematic , old connections don't come undone that easily .

using a large bore syringe though would take out the reservoir contents though , top up with new .. perhaps run the car for 10 mins then do the same again to mix new with old then drain it out .

unsure atm .

Yup i still see corroded low pressure pipes about to fall apart even these days when i assumed all would have jubilee clips on them or have been replaced by now .

deMort said:
I must admit this is not something i've ever considered ..

There is no service interval for changing this fluid and i always assumed it wouldn't make a difference .. for an owner to say it does then i go along with that .. i'm not a driver and so dont know these things .

To the point it might be worth recommending this on a service
:?:

A total drain out would be problematic , old connections don't come undone that easily .

using a large bore syringe though would take out the reservoir contents though , top up with new .. perhaps run the car for 10 mins then do the same again to mix new with old then drain it out .

unsure atm .

Yup i still see corroded low pressure pipes about to fall apart even these days when i assumed all would have jubilee clips on them or have been replaced by now .

I never changed mine on the 911 but I did it on an Audi once.

Disconnected return pipe at the reservoir iirc and directed it to a catch bottle. Started car and poured fresh fluid into the reservoir to keep the level up while a helper turned the rack from lock to lock.
You can see the colour change when the fresh fluid comes through or do it based on system volume.
Effectively you're flushing the system through and replacing the fluid at the same time. You must keep the fluid level up though, so if you reverse roles make sure you trust your helper, and when you're finished, get that return pipe back on quick!

Surprised it isn't a service item but I think manufactures often only schedule 7-10 years ahead so things like coolant, trans fluid etc are left off.

Alex said:
A couple of weeks ago my low pressure pipe blew off the end of the rack (common fault according to Demort). My mechanic fixed it for me last weekend and at the same time filled with new Pentosin CHF stuff. As far as I know the original was original, i.e. 19 years old. I must say, the steering is different - so much lighter. Can't believe the new stuff has made a difference. One of those things you never really think of changing but surprised at how different it's made it. :dont know:

Who'd've thunk?

Sounds like good house keeping Alex.. Will have mine looked at next service!

Good steer :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mint_Sauce
Back