Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

I''m looking for standard 997.1 C2 road springs? H&R to

C11BRA

Suzuka
Just thought I'd mention my predicament.

As some of you will know, I have recently moved from 996 to 997 C2 with Aerokit. As much as I love the look, I'm finding it just too low on its H&R springs.

I've had a chat with the experts at Centre Gravity and they suggest a 10mm increase via the spacers on the spring seats. However, I'm not sure this is not enough.

So. My thoughts are to return the car to standard height then re-assess.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Here's the car as it's sits right now.

I've got H&R's on my 996 and your front sits allot lower than mine... I always use H&R across the many brand of cars I've had as i think they are far better than standard...

Centre Gravity suggested that some drivers find the H&R more supple than factory springs as they are progressive.

Mine feel like house bricks. CG suggest that I might be running on its bump stops.

I've done a quick mock up with a 20/30mm lift.

It shouldn't feel like a brick on H&Rs. Mine doesn't.

I think your best course of action might be to go and see Centre Gravity and get them to have a look at your set up: your dampers might be knackered, or there may be some other issue. It can't be too hard to get hold of a set of stock springs from an OPC/the internet (or they might even have some discarded ones lying around?) if it's necessary to raise the ride height. :?:

I recently went to Center Gravity, i was on the Porsche springs but with a 20mm drop (sport chassis), was surprised to see both of my rear springs were snapped at the bottom of the coil, not uncommon apparently as they rub against themselves under compression, wear the paint off, corrode, then break. This is why you see some springs with protective plastic sleeves around the springs. I suggested H&R's all round but their advice was Eibach's pro kit as they are the progressive springs. I went for a set of those which dropped it another 10mm, but with new top mounts all round, 2 new rear control arms and a geometry reset, it rides more comfortably than on the stock Porsche sport chassis springs. I also had new Michelin PS4S all round so that's probably contributing too. Get your car in there for a check over if you can, i'm sure they'll shed some light on what's going on with it.

C11BRA said:
Centre Gravity suggested that some drivers find the H&R more supple than factory springs as they are progressive.

Mine feel like house bricks. CG suggest that I might be running on its bump stops.

Do you have the DSC module fitted?

Hertsdriver said:
I have standard springs I would gladly swap... mines a 3.6 C2 with PASM, Im in St Albans so not far..

Are they available or still in your car?

As you can see here on fairly level ground, it doesn't need much for the nose to be very close to the ground.

CG recommended 10mm spacers under the springs & shorter bump stops. Parts approx £40 they said. Sounds reasonable. Anyone had experience of either of these?

I've ordered some standard front struts & springs. I'll swap over then re-evaluate.

Update.

Saturday morning was well spent. After stripping down my donor struts to extract the stock springs, then cleaning, re-painting & adding a new plastic covering to the impact area of the spring base on Friday, Saturday was play time. My first job was to drive the car to a flat piece of road and take ground clearance measurements. 100mm at the front lip. Just simply not enough for London without a lift kit.

Second job was to investigate the available travel between the (seemingly new) bump stops & the top mounts. Incredibly it was only about 5mm!! Admittedly the bump stop will compress so in reality this would probably be 15-20mm before tightening up on the bump stop. But this could explain why the car felt so very harsh.

So. Via trolley jack & axle stands, I set about swapping the H&R springs with the stock set. (I'll list the steps I took separately). The springs stood pretty much the same height when loose. But the H&R are clearly progressive & have at least one extra coil.

I re-used my new looking bump stops (not mushroomed like you might expect) but I swapped the crushed dust gaiters for the less compressed ones from the stock struts. The top mounts on my car were replaced recently so these were retained.

After a brief road test to settle the springs, measurements confirmed an increase to 130mm at the front lip and about 25mm rise at the wheels. This is exactly what I wanted to achieve so, so far so good.

Then came the 150 mile road test (any excuse huh?). Wow! What an incredible difference. A transformation. More supple than I could ever believe. Don't get me wrong, it's still firm and the Bilsteins on my set up are fresh and clearly doing a good job. But I now have suspension travel. And some much needed nose ground clearance.

I'll leave the car like this for our upcoming Welsh mountain road trip (November). Then I'll decide what to do next.

Here's a photo shortly after the spring swap. The nose is up. Yes. So, do I fit stock rear springs? Hmmmmm. TBH. I'm still looking into a lift kit idea I've had. I kinda love the low GT3 ride heigh but just need to be able to get around without scraping all the time.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back