Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
992 : 2019- 1
991 : 2011- 19
997 : 2004- 72
996 : 1997-2005 31
993 : 1993-1998 7
964 : 1989-1993 2
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 3
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 1
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 32
Cayman : 2005- 19
Cayenne : 2003- 6
Macan : 2014- 5
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [992] 2018-Current
Porsche 911 [992]
911 [991] 2011-2019
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-2012
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

greenchef

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: New to 991.1 - start stop - good or bad for engine? Reply with quote

Car is great.....but many annoying features...

-Start Stop disable button (but also does other things?!)

-Traction control button.. (but also does lots of other things?!!)

-Sport button.....daft (just go manual selection, but wait see further down)

-Sport+ button......dafter (just go manual selection, but wait see further down)

-Sport exhaust button....(ok, annoying it doesn't remember between starts. Ditto this on every single button, expect where there is legal requirement, traction control i think, dumb law, nanny state)

-Manual selection in PDK, still has kickdown? (super daft)

-Manual gear selection via the PDK stick, push forward to go up gears?!?! What! So if you ever make a mistake(ie think you are in manual), and you pull away hard, you will have you foot flat on the floor, and you will push forward to go up a gear......which will have you into NEUTRAL(with your foot still on the floor)! Daft, daft, daft. Thank god i have paddles. Neutral should be a side ways push on the PDK stick, and reverse should be beyond that side ways push.....so you don't ever make a mistake, and so you never have to look at the stick or dash cluster to work out where you are.....Currently training myself to NEVER use the stick for manual selection so i never make the accidental neutral selection.

-Gearing... Soooo long 1st and 2nd. Bonkers.....guess they gota keep something in the bag for the faster models.

-Electric handbrake....ermmm, horrible position for button(how long are your arms), push to turn it on? pull to turn it off, i prefer manual handbrake full stop.

---Phew....i think that's it.

Oh wait..... buttons, buttons, buttons ( maybe put a dial or two in there)..... my gf nearly puked when she saw all the buttons for the stereo and climate control.

But clearly i still went for the car, so there are many many great reasons to have these cars.

But finally - to the point.

Start stop - i find this somewhat uncomfortable, in terms of engine wear? ie hot engine constantly being stopped/started. I have tried to think about, do water pump(s) still run when engine off, so you don't get hot spots, do oil pump(s) still run to keep things cooling.....etc....But i thought i would ask about other peoples thoughts on it....I over think everything.

Car goes better than i ever imagined it would and the noise......THE NOISE!!!!! Engine sounds incredible.

spongebob squarepants
Zolder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New to 991.1 - start stop - good or bad for engine? Reply with quote

greenchef wrote:
Car is great.....but many annoying features...

-Start Stop disable button (but also does other things?!)

-Traction control button.. (but also does lots of other things?!!)

-Sport button.....daft (just go manual selection, but wait see further down)

-Sport+ button......dafter (just go manual selection, but wait see further down)

-Sport exhaust button....(ok, annoying it doesn't remember between starts. Ditto this on every single button, expect where there is legal requirement, traction control i think, dumb law, nanny state)

-Manual selection in PDK, still has kickdown? (super daft)

-Manual gear selection via the PDK stick, push forward to go up gears?!?! What! So if you ever make a mistake(ie think you are in manual), and you pull away hard, you will have you foot flat on the floor, and you will push forward to go up a gear......which will have you into NEUTRAL(with your foot still on the floor)! Daft, daft, daft. Thank god i have paddles. Neutral should be a side ways push on the PDK stick, and reverse should be beyond that side ways push.....so you don't ever make a mistake, and so you never have to look at the stick or dash cluster to work out where you are.....Currently training myself to NEVER use the stick for manual selection so i never make the accidental neutral selection.

-Gearing... Soooo long 1st and 2nd. Bonkers.....guess they gota keep something in the bag for the faster models.

-Electric handbrake....ermmm, horrible position for button(how long are your arms), push to turn it on? pull to turn it off, i prefer manual handbrake full stop.

---Phew....i think that's it.

Oh wait..... buttons, buttons, buttons ( maybe put a dial or two in there)..... my gf nearly puked when she saw all the buttons for the stereo and climate control.

But clearly i still went for the car, so there are many many great reasons to have these cars.

But finally - to the point.

Start stop - i find this somewhat uncomfortable, in terms of engine wear? ie hot engine constantly being stopped/started. I have tried to think about, do water pump(s) still run when engine off, so you don't get hot spots, do oil pump(s) still run to keep things cooling.....etc....But i thought i would ask about other peoples thoughts on it....I over think everything.

Car goes better than i ever imagined it would and the noise......THE NOISE!!!!! Engine sounds incredible.

Err I may as well be the first are you sure you like it Dont know I can’t think of a single annoying thing about a 991! Welcome by the way Grin Pics are sort of obligatory

Ps don’t tell the 997 boys about the sound, they’ll all be wanting a 991.1

EX 997.2 Carrera 4S PDK
EX 997.2 Carrera S PDK
EX 993 C2 manual in guards red
EX 997 C2 gen 2 PDK
EX 993 Targa
EX 993 Carrera 4 manual
EX 996 3.4 Cabriolet

Racing Yellow “You know it makes sense”

Shurv
Albert Park

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in the motor trade for 26 years, I find that most folk switch stop start off as it is a pain in the ars*, especially with an autobox, you have 2 things to wake up before you can get going, especially annoying when trying to nip onto a busy roundabout in rush hour and the bl**dy thing has just turned itself off.

The only time it works (IMO) is with a decent hybrid, my daily is a Lexus hybrid and having the engine switching on and off seems perfectly normal, BUT, you have the batteries moving you along when the motor is off. I can drive at 70mph in complete silence and the only way I know when the engine is on or off is the little green light on the dash.I roll up to a junction on batteries only and depending upon how hard I put my foot on the throttle,I get just the batteries or batteries and the engine if I need a quick getaway. As the car is already moving the engine start is more like a bump start so is very gentle on the mechanicals.

I'm not sure about the longevity of normal stop start systems, but the battery and starter motor must take a battering. If my 911 had it, it'd be off 100% of the time, along with automatic lights and wipers, they don't work properly either. Very Happy Very Happy

greenchef

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I DO like the car very much! Handling, engine, brakes, steering, looks, sound, cabin feel, the badge! etc.........its the overlapping tech, that appears to bug me.

For instance. START STOP, we have a button to turn it off(if we are worried about 'things', wearing out starters etc...). But when you turn off the start stop function.......I swear it turns off the coast function on the PDK box. I would not expect coast to work if i'm in manual mode, but in full auto i like coast mode.....im just wafting about and i want the car as economical as possible.

You also lose coast mode with traction control off( and you also lose the start stop!! Jeeez i got a button for that if i want to turn if off.)

It would be so much better if you could choose what options to have in manual mode, and what options to have in auto mode (and it would remember these between starts).

So when stick over in manual, start stop off, traction off, exhaust on, coast off, when stick in auto, everything flipped back. All the button pressing is crazy.....

Grey, s, classic wheels.

forgot to mention drl(hate) .......so bright, i now run with my lights on all the time, so it sets the daytime running lights to the lower brightness, so it looks less cheap....

greenchef

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again......the sound! I was not expecting that, its ***** amazing.....

kas750
Shanghai

2006 Porsche 911

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A clued up friend of mine in the garage trade reckons that the stop start feature is a contributing factor to premature timing chain wear/failure in modern cars.

greenchef

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

somethings gota be wearing out!

I know they( at least one manufacturer) have had to harden cranks and conrods, as they wear out with the constant zero oil pressure starts......so you used to get one of these a journey, now you can have hundreds.

Hamster75
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as I get to go I disable it by selecting sport mode, end of, then enjoy, they do sound fantastic.
Absolutely love mine, its does take a little while to find how all works & personally I love the manual mode in PDK can drive it in the gear you want, short shift & if you forget it changes down for you when you come to a stop or slow right down, their ace when you suss them out. thumbsup

Zingari
Donnington
Donnington

1993 Porsche 964 Anniversary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm rather disappointed the GT cars have less buttons on the centre console as I don't like blanking plates where buttons should be.

I'd much rather they were all filled to remind me of all the knobs I used to deal with when I was working what

pzero
General
General

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hamster75 wrote:
As soon as I get to go I disable it by selecting sport mode, end of, then enjoy, they do sound fantastic.
Absolutely love mine, its does take a little while to find how all works & personally I love the manual mode in PDK can drive it in the gear you want, short shift & if you forget it changes down for you when you come to a stop or slow right down, their ace when you suss them out. thumbsup

^^^^^^^^^
This.

Absolutely the first thing I do after starting up is to select sport mode, and then manual.
Simples.

pzero
General
General

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zingari wrote:
I'm rather disappointed the GT cars have less buttons on the centre console as I don't like blanking plates where buttons should be.

I'd much rather they were all filled to remind me of all the knobs I used to deal with when I was working what

Thumb

Since retirement, it's not the circus I miss, just one or two of the clowns.

Last edited by pzero on Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Alex
Le Mans
Le Mans

2000 Porsche 996 Carrera 4

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grin

Start/stop is the biggest joke since the chicken crossed the road. Totally pointless.

G2
Barcelona

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start stop at least has contributed to better batteries hasn’t it? We don’t see anywhere near as many people having issues as with the moll batteries in the previous generations.

My Startup procedure was start the car, start/stop off, sport mode on, Sports exhaust set to loud...bet a high proportion of owners do the same.

Contrarian view, but the 991 burbles are a bit artificial as the car plays the same tune every time on downshifts regardless of speed Get Me Coat

Alex
Le Mans
Le Mans

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont know

I'm on the same small S3 battery that was on the car 6 years ago.

MaxA
Albert Park

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have start-stop on the 997, but it does annoy in the wifey's car, as the engine turns off just when you need to go (so I turn it off)!

In the 997, I have a 'pre-flight sequence', starting with turning the engine on. While it's warming up (or before the revs drop below 1000rpm), there's plenty of time to put the seat belt on, close the door, mute the stereo, and then press sport, PASM Sport on, noise on and then click into manual... Dont know

MJA911
Sepang

2012 Porsche 991 Carrera

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely stop/start makes sense when you're caught in really slow moving traffic when you're stationary for periods of time that makes it worth not emitting fumes, but totally get its not good when you're only stopping for a few seconds at a time.

Sport button solves it, also solves the PDK in auto always wanting to change up to the point of labouring the engine. Only other 991 irritation for me is the door trim/switches are prone to buzzing depending on the music being played through the speakers Mad

Alex
Le Mans
Le Mans

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The start/stop button is just a tax fiddle by manufacturers to make cars more sellable.

spongebob squarepants
Zolder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJA911 wrote:
Surely stop/start makes sense when you're caught in really slow moving traffic when you're stationary for periods of time that makes it worth not emitting fumes, but totally get its not good when you're only stopping for a few seconds at a time.

Sport button solves it, also solves the PDK in auto always wanting to change up to the point of labouring the engine. Only other 991 irritation for me is the door trim/switches are prone to buzzing depending on the music being played through the speakers Mad

I thought it was only me, works well on a 991 (on the rare occasions that Sport isnt activated)

EX 997.2 Carrera 4S PDK
EX 997.2 Carrera S PDK
EX 993 C2 manual in guards red
EX 997 C2 gen 2 PDK
EX 993 Targa
EX 993 Carrera 4 manual
EX 996 3.4 Cabriolet

Racing Yellow “You know it makes sense”

greenchef

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pzero wrote:
Hamster75 wrote:

^^^^^^^^^
This.

Absolutely the first thing I do after starting up is to select sport mode, and then manual.
Simples.

but then the shift points in auto are daft.....so i have some spirited driving in manual....then i knock it over to auto to waft about....and i have silly shift points... and possibly no coast, and no start stop( I will need to check this). And sport doesnt take off the traction control?

Allan E
Silverstone

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenchef wrote:
For instance. START STOP, we have a button to turn it off(if we are worried about 'things', wearing out starters etc...). But when you turn off the start stop function.......I swear it turns off the coast function on the PDK box. I would not expect coast to work if i'm in manual mode, but in full auto i like coast mode.....im just wafting about and i want the car as economical as possible.

You also lose coast mode with traction control off( and you also lose the start stop!! Jeeez i got a button for that if i want to turn if off.) ....

I can confirm that the coast mode is disabled when you turn off the auto stop/ start and likewise the traction control, all to aid economy. I discovered the same thing just last week on our recently acquired Macan D. I hate the stop/ start system on any car and it must put additional strain on all starting components.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: