Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My Search Begins

jono2200

Silverstone
Hello everyone,,, with the 996 being gone over 2 years ago and having not long sold our 987 boxster im now in the market for a 997,, I think i know what i want. which is a standard 3.6 carerra 997.1, manual. i believe there is some good deals to be had with prices softening on the full 997 range, and with the summer over im hoping now is a good time to pick one up... i dont want to get into the bore score debate, rebuild etc... but what i do want to mention is do we think generally the 3.6 is the safer bet, out of that and the early 3.8s... on paper performance is very similar, and actually price also seems very similar too... i hope to get some pics up soon of my new purchase,,, i have a couple im booked in to see over the next week, so fingers crossed.... get ready for all the new owner questions to come.... Lastly has anyone on here gone from the 3.6 to a 3.8 or have experience with both, i have driven both briefly, and other than incresed noise i didnt notice any performance differences, and i felt the suspension in the 3.8 in sport mode to be too harsh, which was all a contributing factor to me wanting to go for the 3.6.... budget wise i cant stretch to the gen 2 so thats not an option,,

Hi Jono, I'm in the same position as you so I will watch this thread eagerly. I'd love a Gen 2 but 30k is out of budget for me. I really like the look of the early 997.1 3.6 models, especially riding on the smaller less flashy wheels with the original exhaust (not the quad pipe). I'm just terrified at the prospect of an engine failure, but perhaps this issue is over hyped...

I've recently made the purchase of a 4S, 997.1 on a 56 plate, personally I think that the whole bore scoring issue is massively over hyped, so much so that some folk advised me not to buy because their mates brother knew a chap who had one and had to sell it because he couldn't sleep at night ?
I paid absolutely NO attention to the negatives surrounding the issue and instead concentrated on buying the right car with the kit on it that I wanted, I had a strict criteria and wouldn't even look anything other than a 4S manual with less than 50K on the clock,

From my own experience I found some of the cars were very shoddy, nothing you wouldn't find on any other brand at 12+ years or older but some were not what I would call enthusiast owned despite what they tell you on the phone as they try to lure you in, I viewed several with re built engines, I made the decision early on that the reason they had failed engines were probably because when you get there there's NO fuel in the car and they regrettably put a tenner in ! From Morrison's..... Warning lights on the dash that a bulb has gone, Mis matched tyres, filthy interiors are all minor discrepancies that really grip my sheet !

Budget for the car plus anything else that you need, then set aside a grand for a proper service at an indie, plugs, belt, oil, filters, coil packs, air con, etc all add up so factor this in to your negotiations, just don't let your head rule your heart especially if you see on in GT Silver, with aero kit and thousands of pounds worth of extras
:hand:

jkhamler said:
Hi Jono, I'm in the same position as you so I will watch this thread eagerly. I'd love a Gen 2 but 30k is out of budget for me. I really like the look of the early 997.1 3.6 models, especially riding on the smaller less flashy wheels with the original exhaust (not the quad pipe). I'm just terrified at the prospect of an engine failure, but perhaps this issue is over hyped...

Hi, so a bit of an update,,, but first i will say when i originally wrote this post i didnt actually submit the thread (by mistake) so it was probably close to a week before i re logged on, and up popped my draft post,,, so i just then hit submit,,, and then shortly after i found the car i was happy with, it was the third one i viewed,, a midnight blue, 3.6 carerra 2, manual, and 53k ish miles. so fitted my original criteria...not a great deal of options from factory, but i didnt see that as a issue, and i was happy with the condition and history, i was happy with the chats with the seller, and also the previous owner to him who i spoke with,,, im a bit of a believer that as much as buying the car you are also buying into the seller, may be a load of rubbish, but thats my view, and so far has served me well. only thing to mention was a slight discrepency with the miles from one MOT to another,,, after looking into this and working out timelines, it was 34 days after receiving a service at a main dealer then it went for a mot, i think the tester inputted a 9 instead of a 7, and although i was happy with it being a rogue key strike on the keyboard by the mot tester, ever so slightly took the shine off, however proved to be a good bargaining tool and the deal was made....

Attachments

• 911_1_151.jpg
    911_1_151.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 3,397
Looks good... Great colour.

Better change your thread title to My search ends!

looks great in that colour. Like me you went for the smaller engine which if you can believe the forums is the low risk option. Mine has been fine - just enjoy it.

montygraphics said:
looks great in that colour. Like me you went for the smaller engine which if you can believe the forums is the low risk option. Mine has been fine - just enjoy it.

Yes the lower risk idea played a part in my decsision on which to go for, dont get me wrong the S varsion was within my budget but the thought of it just didnt appeal, oddly, i just liked the idea of the base model... Strange but true.

jono2200 said:
montygraphics said:

Yes the lower risk idea played a part in my decsision on which to go for, dont get me wrong the S varsion was within my budget but the thought of it just didnt appeal, oddly, i just liked the idea of the base model... Strange but true.

Strangely i started my 997 quest earlier this year , target csrs being C2S C4S then due to what seemed a overwhelming forum negativity to anything other than a warranted or borescoped or only consider one with a Hartech rebuild i went off the idea :what: 3 months later , much more study & knowledge gained i started looking again this time with only a manual 3.6 the target .
Now own a fantastic car ( 88k carrera4 3.6 manual) , its not had a boresope report , not had a Hartech rebuild , zero waranty & doesn't cause me sleepless nights :thumb:

me&my997 said:
jono2200 said:
montygraphics said:

Strangely i started my 997 quest earlier this year , target csrs being C2S C4S then due to what seemed a overwhelming forum negativity to anything other than a warranted or borescoped or only consider one with a Hartech rebuild i went off the idea :what: 3 months later , much more study & knowledge gained i started looking again this time with only a manual 3.6 the target .
Now own a fantastic car ( 88k carrera4 3.6 manual) , its not had a boresope report , not had a Hartech rebuild , zero waranty & doesn't cause me sleepless nights :thumb:

you would also think being the base model there would have been a greater number of them for sale, however after a bit of research seems they were outsold 3 to 1 to the S variants,,, which actually suprised me a little

I love my 'misery spec' Gen2 ....maybe even more than when I got it 4 years ago.

Manual, no PASM, no rear wiper, no sunroof. Just pure.

That blue is stunning :thumb:

Congrats
( and I agree about judging a car by its owner)

Really good to read a thread like this.

As a previous 997.1 owner, it get's a little dis-heartening to read post after post of "don't buy a 997.1 because it will blow up". They are such amazing cars and I had 2 trouble free, thoroughly enjoyable years with mine.

Congrats on the purchase OP, I'm only a bit jealous :)

jono2200 said:
jkhamler said:

Hi, so a bit of an update,,, but first i will say when i originally wrote this post i didnt actually submit the thread (by mistake) so it was probably close to a week before i re logged on, and up popped my draft post,,, so i just then hit submit,,, and then shortly after i found the car i was happy with, it was the third one i viewed,, a midnight blue, 3.6 carerra 2, manual, and 53k ish miles. so fitted my original criteria...not a great deal of options from factory, but i didnt see that as a issue, and i was happy with the condition and history, i was happy with the chats with the seller, and also the previous owner to him who i spoke with,,, im a bit of a believer that as much as buying the car you are also buying into the seller, may be a load of rubbish, but thats my view, and so far has served me well. only thing to mention was a slight discrepency with the miles from one MOT to another,,, after looking into this and working out timelines, it was 34 days after receiving a service at a main dealer then it went for a mot, i think the tester inputted a 9 instead of a 7, and although i was happy with it being a rogue key strike on the keyboard by the mot tester, ever so slightly took the shine off, however proved to be a good bargaining tool and the deal was made....

It looks lovely, congratz! Best colour. Also real easy to block off the plenum for some extra zing from the air box :thumb: Which you sadly can't do on a gen 2 :sad:

James M-S said:
I love my 'misery spec' Gen2 ....maybe even more than when I got it 4 years ago.

Manual, no PASM, no rear wiper, no sunroof. Just pure.

That blue is stunning :thumb:

Congrats
( and I agree about judging a car by its owner)

Amen brother!

Just drive it and love it I also bought a 3.6 2006 its a few extras sunroof and fancy wheels but other than that its box standard

997 Mike

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back