Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
992 : 2019- 0
991 : 2011- 22
997 : 2004- 65
996 : 1997-2005 32
993 : 1993-1998 5
964 : 1989-1993 2
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 3
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 1
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 30
Cayman : 2005- 22
Cayenne : 2003- 6
Macan : 2014- 8
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [992] 2018-Current
Porsche 911 [992]
911 [991] 2011-2019
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-2012
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

jono2200
Trainee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject: My Search Begins Reply with quote

Hello everyone,,, with the 996 being gone over 2 years ago and having not long sold our 987 boxster im now in the market for a 997,, I think i know what i want. which is a standard 3.6 carerra 997.1, manual. i believe there is some good deals to be had with prices softening on the full 997 range, and with the summer over im hoping now is a good time to pick one up... i dont want to get into the bore score debate, rebuild etc... but what i do want to mention is do we think generally the 3.6 is the safer bet, out of that and the early 3.8s... on paper performance is very similar, and actually price also seems very similar too... i hope to get some pics up soon of my new purchase,,, i have a couple im booked in to see over the next week, so fingers crossed.... get ready for all the new owner questions to come.... Lastly has anyone on here gone from the 3.6 to a 3.8 or have experience with both, i have driven both briefly, and other than incresed noise i didnt notice any performance differences, and i felt the suspension in the 3.8 in sport mode to be too harsh, which was all a contributing factor to me wanting to go for the 3.6.... budget wise i cant stretch to the gen 2 so thats not an option,,

jkhamler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jono, I'm in the same position as you so I will watch this thread eagerly. I'd love a Gen 2 but 30k is out of budget for me. I really like the look of the early 997.1 3.6 models, especially riding on the smaller less flashy wheels with the original exhaust (not the quad pipe). I'm just terrified at the prospect of an engine failure, but perhaps this issue is over hyped...

C4Silver
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve recently made the purchase of a 4S, 997.1 on a 56 plate, personally I think that the whole bore scoring issue is massively over hyped, so much so that some folk advised me not to buy because their mates brother knew a chap who had one and had to sell it because he couldn’t sleep at night ?
I paid absolutely NO attention to the negatives surrounding the issue and instead concentrated on buying the right car with the kit on it that I wanted, I had a strict criteria and wouldn’t even look anything other than a 4S manual with less than 50K on the clock,

From my own experience I found some of the cars were very shoddy, nothing you wouldn’t find on any other brand at 12+ years or older but some were not what I would call enthusiast owned despite what they tell you on the phone as they try to lure you in, I viewed several with re built engines, I made the decision early on that the reason they had failed engines were probably because when you get there there’s NO fuel in the car and they regrettably put a tenner in ! From Morrison’s..... Warning lights on the dash that a bulb has gone, Mis matched tyres, filthy interiors are all minor discrepancies that really grip my sheet !

Budget for the car plus anything else that you need, then set aside a grand for a proper service at an indie, plugs, belt, oil, filters, coil packs, air con, etc all add up so factor this in to your negotiations, just don’t let your head rule your heart especially if you see on in GT Silver, with aero kit and thousands of pounds worth of extras
Hand

jono2200
Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkhamler wrote:
Hi Jono, I'm in the same position as you so I will watch this thread eagerly. I'd love a Gen 2 but 30k is out of budget for me. I really like the look of the early 997.1 3.6 models, especially riding on the smaller less flashy wheels with the original exhaust (not the quad pipe). I'm just terrified at the prospect of an engine failure, but perhaps this issue is over hyped...

Hi, so a bit of an update,,, but first i will say when i originally wrote this post i didnt actually submit the thread (by mistake) so it was probably close to a week before i re logged on, and up popped my draft post,,, so i just then hit submit,,, and then shortly after i found the car i was happy with, it was the third one i viewed,, a midnight blue, 3.6 carerra 2, manual, and 53k ish miles. so fitted my original criteria...not a great deal of options from factory, but i didnt see that as a issue, and i was happy with the condition and history, i was happy with the chats with the seller, and also the previous owner to him who i spoke with,,, im a bit of a believer that as much as buying the car you are also buying into the seller, may be a load of rubbish, but thats my view, and so far has served me well. only thing to mention was a slight discrepency with the miles from one MOT to another,,, after looking into this and working out timelines, it was 34 days after receiving a service at a main dealer then it went for a mot, i think the tester inputted a 9 instead of a 7, and although i was happy with it being a rogue key strike on the keyboard by the mot tester, ever so slightly took the shine off, however proved to be a good bargaining tool and the deal was made....

911 1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  136.6 KB
 Viewed:  2023 Time(s)

911 1.jpg

Robertb
Dijon

2002 Porsche 996 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good... Great colour.

Better change your thread title to My search ends!

Current: 2003 C4S Coupe, seal/black

Ex: '02 C4S Coupe, '96 993 Targa, '88 Carrera Sport Coupe

jono2200
Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robertb wrote:
Looks good... Great colour.

Better change your thread title to My search ends!

ha ha true!! Very Happy

montygraphics

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks great in that colour. Like me you went for the smaller engine which if you can believe the forums is the low risk option. Mine has been fine - just enjoy it.

jono2200
Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

montygraphics wrote:
looks great in that colour. Like me you went for the smaller engine which if you can believe the forums is the low risk option. Mine has been fine - just enjoy it.

Yes the lower risk idea played a part in my decsision on which to go for, dont get me wrong the S varsion was within my budget but the thought of it just didnt appeal, oddly, i just liked the idea of the base model... Strange but true.

me&my997
Silverstone

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jono2200 wrote:
montygraphics wrote:

Yes the lower risk idea played a part in my decsision on which to go for, dont get me wrong the S varsion was within my budget but the thought of it just didnt appeal, oddly, i just liked the idea of the base model... Strange but true.

Strangely i started my 997 quest earlier this year , target csrs being C2S C4S then due to what seemed a overwhelming forum negativity to anything other than a warranted or borescoped or only consider one with a Hartech rebuild i went off the idea what 3 months later , much more study & knowledge gained i started looking again this time with only a manual 3.6 the target .
Now own a fantastic car ( 88k carrera4 3.6 manual) , its not had a boresope report , not had a Hartech rebuild , zero waranty & doesn't cause me sleepless nights Thumb
http://911uk.com/files/dsc_5307_2_764.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/andy911wheels/

jono2200
Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

me&my997 wrote:
jono2200 wrote:
montygraphics wrote:

Strangely i started my 997 quest earlier this year , target csrs being C2S C4S then due to what seemed a overwhelming forum negativity to anything other than a warranted or borescoped or only consider one with a Hartech rebuild i went off the idea what 3 months later , much more study & knowledge gained i started looking again this time with only a manual 3.6 the target .
Now own a fantastic car ( 88k carrera4 3.6 manual) , its not had a boresope report , not had a Hartech rebuild , zero waranty & doesn't cause me sleepless nights Thumb

you would also think being the base model there would have been a greater number of them for sale, however after a bit of research seems they were outsold 3 to 1 to the S variants,,, which actually suprised me a little

James M-S
Suzuka

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my ‘misery spec’ Gen2 ....maybe even more than when I got it 4 years ago.

Manual, no PASM, no rear wiper, no sunroof. Just pure.

That blue is stunning Thumb

Congrats
( and I agree about judging a car by its owner)

jpsh120
Imola

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really good to read a thread like this.

As a previous 997.1 owner, it get's a little dis-heartening to read post after post of "don't buy a 997.1 because it will blow up". They are such amazing cars and I had 2 trouble free, thoroughly enjoyable years with mine.

Congrats on the purchase OP, I'm only a bit jealous Smile

MattyR
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jono2200 wrote:
jkhamler wrote:

Hi, so a bit of an update,,, but first i will say when i originally wrote this post i didnt actually submit the thread (by mistake) so it was probably close to a week before i re logged on, and up popped my draft post,,, so i just then hit submit,,, and then shortly after i found the car i was happy with, it was the third one i viewed,, a midnight blue, 3.6 carerra 2, manual, and 53k ish miles. so fitted my original criteria...not a great deal of options from factory, but i didnt see that as a issue, and i was happy with the condition and history, i was happy with the chats with the seller, and also the previous owner to him who i spoke with,,, im a bit of a believer that as much as buying the car you are also buying into the seller, may be a load of rubbish, but thats my view, and so far has served me well. only thing to mention was a slight discrepency with the miles from one MOT to another,,, after looking into this and working out timelines, it was 34 days after receiving a service at a main dealer then it went for a mot, i think the tester inputted a 9 instead of a 7, and although i was happy with it being a rogue key strike on the keyboard by the mot tester, ever so slightly took the shine off, however proved to be a good bargaining tool and the deal was made....

It looks lovely, congratz! Best colour. Also real easy to block off the plenum for some extra zing from the air box Thumb Which you sadly can’t do on a gen 2 Sad

MattyR
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James M-S wrote:
I love my ‘misery spec’ Gen2 ....maybe even more than when I got it 4 years ago.

Manual, no PASM, no rear wiper, no sunroof. Just pure.

That blue is stunning Thumb

Congrats
( and I agree about judging a car by its owner)

Amen brother!

Supersport Mike

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just drive it and love it I also bought a 3.6 2006 its a few extras sunroof and fancy wheels but other than that its box standard

997 Mike

jono2200
Trainee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattyR wrote:
jono2200 wrote:
jkhamler wrote:

It looks lovely, congratz! Best colour. Also real easy to block off the plenum for some extra zing from the air box Thumb Which you sadly can’t do on a gen 2 Sad

I had this done on my 996 c4. Is this just a kind of aluminium bung fitted in the air box you are referring to.

jono2200
Trainee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pics after a polish

jono2200
Trainee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jono2200 wrote:
Some pics after a polish
all coming up as too big so wont let me attach

villaman
Trainee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the car.

i too sold my 987 Boxster to get into a 997 C2 ..(i went to look at a car with no intention of buying..fatal..and the rest is history !!).

I took a punt with no Bore Score check...but about 50 + Receipts from every services. oil change and nut and bolt..

Car is fantastic..i've spent approx. £2,500 since i brought it in March including a complete front end respray last week ..due to stone chipping......

Interestingly....i took it to Cath Burrows for some minor work and they checked it for bore scoring t and for a car with 100 K miles on it has "Surprisingly very little to no scoring"....so i tend to ignore the naysayers....you could keep yourself up at night if you read and believe all of the articles.

Can we get some pics...and happy motoring
997 911 C2S Basalt Black (Current)

jono2200
Trainee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a pic... For info I've just completed a 280 mile trip from North East to Aberdeen. Absolutly faultless. Love this car...
villaman wrote:
Congrats on the car.

i too sold my 987 Boxster to get into a 997 C2 ..(i went to look at a car with no intention of buying..fatal..and the rest is history !!).

I took a punt with no Bore Score check...but about 50 + Receipts from every services. oil change and nut and bolt..

Car is fantastic..i've spent approx. £2,500 since i brought it in March including a complete front end respray last week ..due to stone chipping......

Interestingly....i took it to Cath Burrows for some minor work and they checked it for bore scoring t and for a car with 100 K miles on it has "Surprisingly very little to no scoring"....so i tend to ignore the naysayers....you could keep yourself up at night if you read and believe all of the articles.

Can we get some pics...and happy motoring

FB_IMG_1571988723003.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  120.67 KB
 Viewed:  756 Time(s)

FB_IMG_1571988723003.jpg

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: