Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New Exhaust needed

AlanPM

Silverstone
Hi, So my PSE has corroded actuators so stuck on LOUD. It has stopped me doing track days as its 112DB and limit is 102DB at Brands of an evening.

I fancy the Spyder Performance switchable stainless silencers as they can wire in to the PSE button and operate as the same.

Should I go the whole hog and get stainless headers and 200 cell cats to go with it or will I just end up too noisy again on "quiet" setting to be able to track it?

Photo for interest

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1a44_300.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1a44_300.jpeg
    79.7 KB · Views: 3,846
I'd just do the boxes unless someone can guarantee you won't be too noisy.

Szymon has just fit a switchable system on his C4S that sounds well. Think it was £650.

Could just get new actuators? they are vacuum actuated so just unplug the vac hose and replace, unless it's the flap is stick then need to use anti-seize spray and work it loose. Seems a bit much to replace the lot just for that.

Having said that, if you do replace all, I'll be willing to buy your old PSE mufflers if they are not too corroded.

Also check your manifold bolt condition, new manifolds will make a difference to performance rather than noise, however stainless will give a bit more raspy sound, anyway if your manifold bolts are bad then removing then will add significantly to the costs to R&R if they need drilling etc..

Beers, HH

Spyder is quite loud, especially on full chat. I'd double check it's gonna pass. I'd definitely hold off on 200 cell as they will make it louder..

I replaced my PSE with the Top Gear switchable system which was pretty much just a straight swap and easy to wire into the existing system (according to Northway, anyway).

112dB sounds crazy loud though. Mine passed the sound check at Castle Combe (100dB limit) on both the original PSE and the Top Gear replacement in loud mode so I can't see how yours comes in at 112!

Assuming you've not, I would explore whether the existing PSE can be fixed... it really is a great sounding system. If the valves are fubar'd then they can be replaced, either like for like or improved;

https://www.fabspeed.com/blog/what-exhaust-valves-are-on-your-car-fabspeed-motorsport/

Oddly these are from a UK company, but with a US agent which is annoying.

My PSE has become very reluctant to go quiet. Sometimes it does, after a few minutes, some times it doesn't. Cant tell if its one side or both, but I think it may just be the OS silencer not working. Does anyone know if I will do the valves any harm by lubing them and moving them open and shut by hand to free them up?

I think you'd be fine Rob, might be tempted to do it with engine off or vacuum disconnected though.

Thanks for the comments chaps, I think it's s good enough excuse to go Stainless!

200cell cats really turn up the volume: I have PSE and had the choice of cats or manifolds but my bolts looked like they were off the titanic so chose to add 200cell cats. It's now very loud on loud setting.

I think if I was doing it again I would go for the cheap eBay stainless manifolds and not the 200cells, it's probably a nicer sound by all reports.

There's usually much more work and therefore cost getting the rotten manifold bolts out, a jig to drill them out is often required if they snap, but it's balanced by the much lower price tag Of The manifolds.

It's up to you, but I would suggest hearing a few different setups in the flesh. They are also different from the drivers seat obviously..

Just wanted to add to panda's post about getting the seams welded. I had the seams welded on the PSE rear mufflers last Sunday. Posted some before and after pics of the worst one. They were done by PCW Exhaust Mods in Bedfordshire. He also welded a split flexi pipe at no extra cost. Top bloke.

Attachments

• 20191107_212808_799.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,569
  • 20191107_212914_521.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,569
Looks an excellent job... did PCW come to you or did you visit him?

Good job. I have a spare set that I could get re-seemed :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back