Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Pick up trucks ? Yes or no

Jonathon555

Suzuka
Been down to ford today as i am thinking of getting a pick up to use instead of a company car for tax reasons.

Does anyone drive a pick up ? Are they useable day to day or too uncomfy ?

Noticed ford had a new ranger raptor that looked good, but unfortunately its classed as a car not a commercial so sky high bik.

Any advice appreciated

I had a 2013 ranger from new. Only kept it a year. Crap engine. Also very poor finishes and a slightly agricultural feel. The vw Amarok with the v6 is much better. Other downsides is they are so long they don't do well in tight spaces. Also the bed is tiny compared to a small van so not as practical as you'd think. You'd need to have one on a trial to see if it's for you.

I have been driving a Nissan Navara as a company car for the last 3 months.......compared to the tax on a Discovery it was a no brainer and spend lots of time on Wind Farms where it is very capable.

As a daily it is a bit cumbersome and not ideal as a family car even with the rear canopy as it's not an ideal boot space ........well not a boot space at all really but great for the dogs and kids bikes.......we have other family cars so as a third utility vehicle it's good.

Fuel consumption is not a major concern for me but the other day on quite A road I got 52.5 mpg on a 10 mile journey.

I ran a DMAX Blade for 3 years and loved it to bits. It was massively practical and I miss having a truck, I occasionally pine for one, and at some point I'll pick up (pun intended) a Ford Ranger Wildtrak. I remember test driving one years ago and thoroughly enjoying the drive from the 3.2 5 cylinder, but at the time I couldn't wait the 9 months lead time on a new one

I remember thinking the footprint of the DMAX was no worse than an S Class Merc, but narrower, so if you'd be fine driving one of those everywhere then you should be fine with a pickup. Only downside was on motorway trips it could feel a little bouncy at the rear end because of the leaf springs, but less an issue for the driver and more for any rear passengers you may have. Pretty sure I used to average around 30/35 mpg in mixed driving

The truck was 100% reliable in the time I had it and I really miss the go anywhere and take / bring anything with you utility. As said above, they can feel a bit agricultural at times, but depending on which one you go for they can be a decent alternative to an SUV, but generally don't expect the same levels of refinement

For what it's worth I've had 2 SUVs previously, and if I had to chose I'd go for another truck instead of an SUV. I think you either love them or hate them, I certainly am a fan :thumb:

Hilux is the king of utes. Ask the mining industry or ISIS
Edit: and Australian farmers :thumb:

That is certainly what a lot of people say. I've never driven one, but the current generation Hilux is supposed to be very good. If I was looking, my shortlist would be Ranger Wildtrak, Navarra, X-Class (posh Navarra) and Hilux. The DMAX was great, but I'd try something different rather than the same again. The new L200 is supposed to be very good as well, but I've always thought the design looked a little strange

We've had various double cab pick-ups on the farm - currently L200 which is pretty decent at most things for us. Gets plenty of off road use and seems to be standing up well to general wear and tear. Drives well on the road and tows very well even with large livestock trailers. plenty of power. It's big but just as easy to park as most of these humungous SUVs. Compared to some others like the Amorak/Merc etc it also seems decent value for money. I am told by our accountant that the tax status of quite a few of the new breed of double cabs is open to interpretation by the VAT and IR people depending on your job/self employment status etc and they are getting tighter on that so maybe good to check up on that side of things before committing. I know a couple of local businesses people that have run into issues not just on double cabs at the fancier end but aso on the "Kombi" type vans with the second row of seats. We have also has a few Insurance issues with young driver getting covered as some can be classed as "commercials" - again might be worth checking with your Insurance people

Cheers..........Ian

Last truck was a 3.2 Ranger Wildtrack ... rough engine but quite fun to chuck around the lanes

currently have a V6 Amarok with a lift up cover on the bed .. arguably better in all ways and actuallly quite quick.

I prefer my Amarok to my wifes 330e, on a lot of days i prefer it to the 911's .. but a truck isn't for everyone & I live in the country. :roll:

One thing to remember is both these trucks are 'overweight' and thus fall into the vans speed limits

911tom said:
I had a 2013 ranger from new. Only kept it a year. Crap engine. Also very poor finishes and a slightly agricultural feel. The vw Amarok with the v6 is much better. Other downsides is they are so long they don't do well in tight spaces. Also the bed is tiny compared to a small van so not as practical as you'd think. You'd need to have one on a trial to see if it's for you.

Very good point about the bed. Unless you want to move lots of mucky stuff.

A full size bed is a different story though. Big enough to carry sheets of plasterboard.

I bought a new pick-up when I lived in Canada. An "extended cab Compact (which meant it had a bench seat in the back but a full size bed but only 2 doors). It was not as big as full size american trucks. The Ranger is a "compact" is America.

I had it 11 years and it was the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned bar none. (5 years in Canada and 6 over here)

It was a Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 5.2ltr 240bhp V8 4 speed auto 1999.

Extremely comfortable, good driving position great mile muncher.

As someone mentioned, they are pretty long so parking can be an issue especially those supermarket car parks.

Oh and acquire a lot of new friends..............the ones that need help moving something
:floor:

Have a good test drive of couple to make sure you could get along with one.

If you buy it on a whim...you might find you'll get fed up with it as soon as the novelty factor wears off.

Don't know what the residuals are like, but I would never buy a Ford again. The wife had the top of the range Kuga Sport and after 2 years it wasn't worth 50% of it's original value. :nooo:

I've been using a pickup as my daily driver for a while now, and I'm pretty satisfied with the experience. They're surprisingly comfortable for day-to-day use, even on long drives, as long as you pick one with good cabin ergonomics and a smooth ride. I'm currently driving a 2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport model, and it's been fantastic for my needs.

I got it from a second-hand marketplace called Boom and Bucket; they offer great deals and provide comprehensive assistance with repairs, modifications, and even useful tips. If you're looking into pickups, it might be worth checking out their website at https://www.boomandbucket.com/equipment/trailers - you could find something that suits you.

Last edited:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back