Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Hibernation

Lukec4s

Silverstone
Hi All,

I have parked up my 360 in the garage for the winter. Are there some things I MUST do in order to avoid issues when I take it out. I will prob leave it in the garage until march. My C4S remains a daily regardless of the season.

I have charged up the battery and then used the battery cut off switch. And it has the indoor car cover on it. garage is not heated.

cheers

Fuel stabiliser? Tyre savers? (or increase the tyre pressure to prevent flat spots)

Mouse trap! There's a guy in YouTube had a 991 GT3 and mice chewed through his wiring loom. Cost $14,000 to replace it.

I've never used fuel stabilizers and I've been storing my cars for long periods for years. Not saying don't do it just that I have not done it and do not see any issues.

I do use wheel chocks, they are a faff but worth it.

That's it really:
clean it,
wheel chocks,
trickle charger,
mouse trap
cover it

Wash & polish, ensure the brakes are completely dry to prevent discs rusting & pads gripping. Parking brake off. I also spray the discs with Bilt Hammer Atom mac which prevents disc rust, fill the petrol tank, add fuel stabiliser, add extra 10psi to tyres, connect Ctek & leave it permanently on. Indoor car cover. Car always starts first time come the spring.
Lidl have their Ctek clone on sale from tomorrow £13.99, gets good reviews.

Oh yes brakes.

My car has PCCBs so I've forgotten

OP, there are several threads on here for laying one's Porsche up for winter. Not sure how different any of the advice would be for a Ferrari. Have you asked the question on a Ferrari forum?

chicb said:
Wash & polish, ensure the brakes are completely dry to prevent discs rusting & pads gripping. Parking brake off. I also spray the discs with Bilt Hammer Atom mac which prevents disc rust, fill the petrol tank, add fuel stabiliser, add extra 10psi to tyres, connect Ctek & leave it permanently on. Indoor car cover. Car always starts first time come the spring.
Lidl have their Ctek clone on sale from tomorrow £13.99, gets good reviews.

This sounds like good advice, I use a fuel stabiliser in the boat (it has a Honda 4 stroke outboard) and that helps with the first start in the spring.

993 Illuminati are masters of storage solutions albeit they normally store for 364 days allowing one day out for MOT/Service :roll:

I'm sure they'll be along soon. But for me:

Trickle charge or disconnect
Tyres to 50psi
ACF-50 to underside components
Cover and leave :thumb:

I did a long post of here some years ago about all of the things you should do. The problem is that they are mainly based on what was best practice with much older vintage cars than these and different fuels, tyres, mechanicals, etc... etc.... I regularly :roll: lay my cars up for 6 months and I just do the following:

- clean them (make sure they are dry before storage)
- over inflate tyres by 2-4 PSI (stops flat spots), in 6 months time they will be around OEM PSI
- fuel to the brim
- fit an indoor breathable cover
- make sure there are pest control traps around the car
- put on a battery conditioner or disconnect the battery
- lock the car

Other things would depend on the location eg security and how damp it is eg some say you should close interior vents, some say you should open them :roll: , some say you should leave a window a little open, some say you should not :roll: , some say you should put dehumdifier gel inside.......bottom line is if the storage location is on the damp side them ensure the interior of the car is vented eg to me leave vents open / window ajar but security is then a consideration. Personally I just leave vents open and close the car up but I store in a secure vented (ie not damp) location.

Flat spots / fuel stabilizers etc.... are just not as big an issue for 6 months storage with modern products IMHO

ps I've just laid up my boxster in storage today, cleaned it, filled it, pumped it, covered it, locked it, plugged it in.......forget it for 6 months....job done :thumb:

After 6 months I just uncover, unplug, start and drive it no prblem at all 8)

For a car of that value I would certainly consider a Carcoon or something similar. I don't tend to lay the 911 up in the winter, just be a bit more choosy about the days I take it out - I started using one last year and the car has certainly benefitted from it. I was a bit sceptical to be fair but it didn't cost cash as I did a swap for free storage for several months against a once used Carcoon with a lad who stores his classic car with me and had bought the wrong size. Now converted and have bought another smaller one for another car as well. Usual problem with rust forming on the discs has gone and it stops any form of dampness forming, starts better and the car doesn't get stale inside either. It's the frame type so its very straightforward to drive in and out - basically drive in, zip up leaving the breather zip open for a day until all the residual heat/damp had blown down and then zip shut. If you really want you can add extra dessicant bags as well but I don't think you would need them especially if you were just leaving the car for a long period. Even putting the car away soaking, it is generally dry within 12-15 hours with the recirculating fans on.

Anyway, might be an option. Cheers....Ian

Edit - Oh yes, will probably help with any vermin issues as well as they have to get through the plastic tent first!

jonttt said:
ps I've just laid up my boxster in storage today, cleaned it, filled it, pumped it, covered it, locked it, plugged it in.......forget it for 6 months....job done :thumb:

:eek: Have you applied any Oil of Ulay to the carbonique :dont know:

If it is a paddle shift F1, leave it in 1st gear (or manual car same)
Leave handbrake off.

CTEK trickle charger is a must - isolating the battery by switching the master switch to off will render the car without power for the alarm systems and central locking. So better to use a trickle charger - in any case leaving the battery isolated for so long may discharge it.

As its indoors, no need for waxoyl or such like - but a nice to have it for preventative maintenance in season.

I add an extra 5 PSI per corner.

Move it forwards and backwards from time to time - and I start my hibernating Italian and run to warm-up about twice in that period you are proposing moving it up and down the drive way (SORN'd) before putting it away.

Come March/April it will be fine to fire up on first turn.

Zingari said:
jonttt said:

:eek: Have you applied any Oil of Ulay to the carbonique :dont know:

:hand: ..... I would not touch the cheap stuff.......La-Mer all the way ....plus I like watching the cichlid fish tank they always have :thumb:

Thanks everyone some good advice. I gave it a good clean, wax and covered. I have a trickle charger. I will add some psi to tyres and put a few mice traps around the underside which I had not considered.

Don't get me started on the spiders in my garage 🤣

Make sure you leave some sandals and socks hanging on the rear view mirror :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back