Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Key fob problems

Jhayward

Hi guy's it's been a while since I have used my spare key, but as I couldn't find the one I use on a regular basis I had no choice. Anyway I couldn't unlock the car with fob but the red light did light up, I then opened door using lock and started the car. Went and bought a new battery for the fob but now I couldn't unlock with fob and when I unlock in car the alarm goes off. I found other key and turned off alarm but any ideas.

Right I've tryed the previous suggestion but still no luck, although it doesn't set alarm off now. So fob still doesn't unlock car but will start it. so does this mean it might just need recoding or new fob, in which case I may just use as backup key again.

Unused key fobs and rolling off code is a pain .. the instructions in the previous link are what i would try at work .

Never really been that successful i'm afraid .. reverse of the key battery is the only one i have had luck with in the past .

The fob signal is separate from the transponder and as such it will always start the car but not unlock it .

If everything from that post hasn't worked then it's a new fob req .. circa £200 im guessing .

I tend to say to people at work .. use the spare now and then .. don't just leave it in a draw for years at a time ...

Whether im correct or not .. :dont know:

But it's what i recommend .

You can't recode an existing fob .. you can only recode the transponder ( a chip in the key head )

Mine wouldnt recover from sleep mode despite trying spare fob new batteries and turning key stood on one leg etc! Hence new fob and programming by Porsche Bolton during their cars and coffee meet on Saturday...£281

deMort said:
Stuff me :eek:

I had no idea they were this much these days .. last time i heard it was £150 .. sigh .

£378 from OPC Portsmouth

Attachments

• 446b93a5_1753_49fd_81f4_98eaa68ff2ea_114.jpeg
    446b93a5_1753_49fd_81f4_98eaa68ff2ea_114.jpeg
    657.7 KB · Views: 1,302
unbelievable .. we are £100 including vat for labour per hour .. labour is half that for this job so £50 .. parts cost is the main part ... i'm gobsmacked to be honest .

This is why i stay away from the parts dept .. i just fix these cars !

What they've done is raped you on the key blank, the metal bit- you can get an OEM key blank and get it cut for about 10 quid thereby saving circa 100 off your bill, the key head and transponder you have no choice but Porsche if you want a zapping spare key.

It's possible to get non zapping spare keys made certainly for earlier cars if you find an auto locksmith who knows their stuff. .i.e. not Timpsons

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back