Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Found a fuse missing

portreathbeach

Silverstone
I've been trying to diagnose a fault with my ASK amplifier in my (new to me) 2004 997.

When in the fuse box, I noticed fuse D-F10 was missing. This is the ASK amplifier and when I inserted a fuse the lower door speakers make a rumble and hissing sound, so I know that was the reason someone had removed it.

I did also find that fuse D-F2 was missing too. This one says it's for the 'Blower engine compartment (997). Am I right in thinking this is the large fan that is attached to the pop up engine cover at the rear?

Which model 997 do you have ?
Carrera or Turbo ??

portreathbeach said:
I did also find that fuse D-F2 was missing too. This one says it's for the 'Blower engine compartment (997). Am I right in thinking this is the large fan that is attached to the pop up engine cover at the rear?

It is for the rear engine lid blower fan and please do not put a fuse in that slot .

There was a recall where by we removed the blower motor fuse and fitted a blank .. i'm assuming the blank has been removed .

The low speed stage of this fan could burn out the wiring from memory ( it ran pretty much all the time ) .. but it was about 10 years ago for this recall so i'm a little hazy on the reasons .

To check the rear lid fan then just get the engine at operating temp .. when really hot it will kick in on full speed.

It's there for additional engine cooling .

911UK, it's a Carrera S, not a Turbo.

I've only had the car a couple of weeks and haven't really driven too hard, so I don't think I've got it anywhere near a temperature where the fan would need to come on yet.

So, are you saying this fuse definitely does not need to be in. I was a little worried when it was missing as I thought that maybe the fan had broken in the past and someone had just pulled the fuse out. I didn't want an overheating engine that was gonna explode and cost me thousands.

what deMort has said, it would therefore be a blank

Attachments

• 2019_09_17_22_54_50_151.jpg
    2019_09_17_22_54_50_151.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 1,086
  • 2019_09_17_22_54_25_184.jpg
    2019_09_17_22_54_25_184.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 1,086
Thanks.

As I said, I was a bit worried when I saw the empty fuse holder. As when I looked on the fuse assignment card in the fuse box it said 'Engine blower'.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

I find it amusing that the "fix" to the original issue was to just to remove the fuse. I'm sure that decision came from porsche finance team rather than porsche engineering team. :grin:

The " fuse blank " came in a very nice plastic bag .. you removed the fuse , inserted this then twisted the top to snap it off leaving a rod of plastic in the fuse board thereby blanking it off.

We got 0.1 to do this Campaign ( 6 mins ) and i think i made bonus on a few of them !

Bonus = doing the job faster than the book time .

It was a very professional fix though i'll have you know young man :D

Just checked my fuse box again. There is no blank in there, a fuse could be fitted. So I guess the fuse wasn't removed by Porsche, maybe the owner never took it for the re-call and just pulled the fuse themselves.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back