Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Instrument dials Wiring Help ----------

-- 997 --

Barcelona
Hi all, need some help please, does anyone have any info on the instrument cluster dials connector plug schematic wiring? Am looking for the signal wire to the tachometer, RPM counter !!

Cheers

J

Need to know what year car you have .. a sig helps :)

Off hand and as its the dme that gets this info first then i strongly suspect it's a Can Bus signal .

Edit to add image .. 2005 - 2008 model.

Attachments

• blue_plug_1_162.jpg
    blue_plug_1_162.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 1,991
deMort said:
Need to know what year car you have .. a sig helps :)

Off hand and as its the dme that gets this info first then i strongly suspect it's a Can Bus signal .

Edit to add image .. 2005 - 2008 model.

Hi deMort, its a 2005 early model, done some reaearch and not sure if can be done but on the OBD2 plug - Pin 9 gives the tach signal like the 996 but not sure, not tried it, another way is on the ECU, theres a connector plug with 6 wires that are coil pack signals, its possible to tap into one of the wires as it works from what ive read but dont fancy messing about there , as my instrument clock currently is out i thought maybe i could tap the signal wire thru there on the connector plug but thats not possible!!

I checked on my PIWIS laptop electrical section for the wiring but nothing on tach signal.

If it can definetly be tapped via OBD2 id rather take feed from there if can be done?

Cheers

J

Instrument cluster is a no go .. it's going to be a Can bus message ..

Diag socket does indeed list pin 9 as the TN signal which i would assume is the tach signal.

You have Piwis and as such have far more info that i have at home .

On the image i have pin 9 is not used .. you need to confirm you have a wire on that pin .. what colour it is then follow it on piwis wiring to what i expect will be the dme ..

You need to confirm it in other words .

Attachments

• diag_socket_1_107.jpg
    diag_socket_1_107.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 1,965
deMort said:
Instrument cluster is a no go .. it's going to be a Can bus message ..

Diag socket does indeed list pin 9 as the TN signal which i would assume is the tach signal.

You have Piwis and as such have far more info that i have at home .

On the image i have pin 9 is not used .. you need to confirm you have a wire on that pin .. what colour it is then follow it on piwis wiring to what i expect will be the dme ..

You need to confirm it in other words .

Hi deMort, thanks for your reply back!! Im gonna check the OBD2 diagnostic plug and see if there is a wire going to pin 9 ill then use PIWIS to trace back to where it ends., ill take some pictures and post it up!! I read that on the Pin 9 the cable colour should be VIOLET with GREEN Line on it which the 996 has and apparently the early 997 Gen1 997.. will post back with pictures!!

Cheers

J

Ok, so it seems like im S**t out of luck here, as in the picture below seems like there is no wire on Pin 9.

There must be a wire which is the Tacho signal wire, dont fancy tapping into the Coil wire plug on the ECU to get this signal unless i have no choice... :nooo:

Cheers

J

Attachments

• 20190917_170649_200.jpg
    20190917_170649_200.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,883
  • 20190917_170539_341.jpg
    20190917_170539_341.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,883
I'm afraid i thought not from the wiring diagram .

The CPS is the sensor that generates the tacho signal .. that goes direct to the DME .

This in turn sends a message on the Can Bus loop ( Drive Can ) for any other control unit to see .. instrument cluster included .

As such it's just a binary signal .

MC is the man here .. he knows far more about Can Bus than i ever will !

Why do you need this wire though .. what are you trying to fit or do ?

As above,

it's sent via CAN.

Taking it from a coil trigger is simple enough. Don't use the CPS, it's a an AC wave that needs conditioning.

deMort said:
I'm afraid i thought not from the wiring diagram .

The CPS is the sensor that generates the tacho signal .. that goes direct to the DME .

This in turn sends a message on the Can Bus loop ( Drive Can ) for any other control unit to see .. instrument cluster included .

As such it's just a binary signal .

MC is the man here .. he knows far more about Can Bus than i ever will !

Why do you need this wire though .. what are you trying to fit or do ?

Shame but never mind... ok am looking to fit a digital Stewart Warner shiftlight RPM gauge and does need that signal wire.. seems like ill need to tap a wire into the DME coil wire for this!!..

Cheers

J

Aghh okies ..

Modding stuff .. Me looks rather confused at this point ..

Tach signal from a single coil though would give you a 1 in 6 rpm so at a guess i would say you need to check this item can be calibrated to PPR ( pulse per revolution ) of 6 as old school stuff would be upto 1-4 .

Not my area though im afraid so ill move swiftly on ....

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back