Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Sheared ARB bush bolt

Kbald

Hi all while trying to sort my rear toe having another ceased bolt on the arm that I can't even get the nut off I thought I'd do the easy job of removing the ARB to give more room. In the process I sheared one of the bolts off. I've had them out to rep!ace the bushes so not sure how its happened but if has.

Tried to use vice grips but can't get it out. Has anyone else had this before and if so how did you remove it? Thanks

Been there done that!

If enough of the thread is protruding you could file opposite sides down and try to get an adjustable spanner on it, soak it in Plus Gas etc first.
Failing that become familiar with a drill and several sharp bits, you'll no doubt knacker the threads so use a nut on the back of a longer bolt when you reattach the ARB or tap it for a larger bolt.

Thanks. There's most of the bolt still sticking out so will give the filing down idea a go.

If I need to resort to drilling it would I cut it off flush and then just drill the last bit out?

Yep.
I've had good luck with the filing method many times so fingers crossed.

If you need to drill it out after cutting the protruding bolt flush centre punch it before drilling and have several sharp bits on hand, it's not a big bolt so you could try an easy-out but you not want to snap one of those and have it jammed in.

I have a similar problem with the front arb. I went to change the bushing a while ago but on trying to loosen the bolt I can feel it twisting so I left it alone knowing that I was going to do more work underneath. I haven't got back to it yet but I know I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and break it. I'll see what I'm left with. It maybe a drill and tap job or possibly weld something to it.

Can't wait :frustrated:

Good luck with it. It's amazing how one simple job turns into a mamouth task.

All I needed to do was get my tracking somewhere near to get to the alignment shop and I'm now left with an undriveable car due to one wheel being toed in massively and a loose ARB. :sad:

It's a very small job on what's turning into a restoration of sorts. Still not a job I'm looking forward too

I actually have a mini pair of stilsons , about 7 inches in length .. they have saved my bacon a few times .. stilsons don't half grip a thread !

If it snaps then its drill out job .. mole grips or stilsons is what i would try though .

It'd be easier to weld something to it instead of the stilsons but I'd say I'm my case it'll be a drill out job

If there's some protruding I'd try some pb blaster, some heat and a impact stud extractor which you use with a ratchet. Had success using this method plenty with motorbike stuff which tends to be small metric fine thread stuff and so likes to snap easy if it's seized

Laser stud Extractor, available from halfords or machine mart or online. Work very well with an impact driver but I have used with a ratchet, highly recommend them

Thanks all. The stilsons I have are big ones for plumbing so maybe too large but may give more power too so will try those. If not the filing down idea is a good one and those stud extractors seem like a great idea to have on hand anyway for future predicaments like this. Thanks all.

I've ordered the polybush inserts for the rear toe arms so will be cutting the old one out avoiding the arm and subframe and replacing the bushes and eccentric bolt. Well that's the plan.

I had this happen when changing the ARB bushes on a friends car. We made a drill guide on my mill that picked up on the lower bolt hole so the sheared bolt could be drilled out and a helicoil fitted so an original spec bolt could be refitted.

ArrwlMU.jpg

lqhnhEk.jpg

9SVdoqw.jpg

Nice work. Bit out of my league based on the tools I have although I do have a drill press!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back