Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

NOT Porsche but WOW..?

Luddite

As there are some skilled engineers and Porsche owner/restorers shooting the breeze on here, I thought there may be some interest in what these guys in the link below recreate... I think I had the privilege of seeing one up close a number of years back at a classic car show on the Island of Bute. I have some pics taken at the time if there is any interest...?

http://www.vintageracinggreen.com/racing_green/

While at the Bute event I heard the tut, tut brigade comment that the Blower Bentley was not the "real thing", which caused me a measure of confusion at the time as it did look brand new, straight out of box and perfect.

I suspect the price of paying for that level of engineering craftsmanship would be considerable. however it seems Bentley themselves are about to "recreate" a number of LM style Blowers, and I suspect they too will be somewhat expensive...?

Think from a dull memory Porsche have also recreated one or two cars long out of production, though perhaps not quite as long out of production.. (-:

I had a poke round a couple of these at techno classic in Essen a couple of years ago and they are stunning love the copper pipe in the engine bay.

Attachments

• p1020943_143.jpg
    p1020943_143.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 5,022
  • p1030377_102.jpg
    p1030377_102.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 5,022
Gazc2 Thanks for showing interest in wonderful engineering surrounding these cars, reproductions or real makes little difference in the engineering sense to me but as for the historical well there can be great value in that..?

I watch with interest those on here prepared to spend a GREAT deal of time and effort to restore their cars back to original spec or even better, a great pastime indeed, spent a few years doing that myself..

Then there will be those who screw the nuts off them perhaps creating a sense of adventure and history which the car may be allowed to wear for a few years before a restoration process may be forced upon it..

There can be value to some for a car that wears a measure of it`s history if it belonged to someone famous or took part in some historical event, or if it`s owner just wanted to drive and enjoy it in his/her own way...?

Yup those old cars had pretty spectacular engine bays, unlike air cooled 911s that looked akin to washing machine internals, but then when it came to functionality and build quality that in time the "ordinary" enthusiast might come to own... Porsche for me were the those with the correct set of engineering values in the 911.. :?:

I hope to attach a couple of pics taken at the same venue of a Bentley dashboard lay out. One of which was in the car thought to be "not a real one" and the other in a very real one... which I had also come across while down at Le Mans so was still being used and enjoyed and definitely not a garage queen...The latter had been subject to a few... err...modifications, I leave it to you to determine which might be best... :dont know:

Attachments

• perfect_dash_324.jpg
    perfect_dash_324.jpg
    586.4 KB · Views: 4,971
  • dscn7229_130.jpg
    dscn7229_130.jpg
    497.9 KB · Views: 4,971

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member