Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
992 : 2019- 0
991 : 2011- 23
997 : 2004- 64
996 : 1997-2005 32
993 : 1993-1998 5
964 : 1989-1993 2
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 3
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 1
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 30
Cayman : 2005- 22
Cayenne : 2003- 6
Macan : 2014- 7
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [992] 2018-Current
Porsche 911 [992]
911 [991] 2011-2019
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-2012
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Marky911
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Marky's GT3 Euro trip - France, Italy & Switzerland Reply with quote

NB: This post was originally in my car ownership thread but since it's technically a load of holiday snaps T8 suggested that it may be more visible and of more interest and use in this sub-forum so ......

Righto I’m back from my trip. Got back home to Northumberland at 6pm last Tuesday after a pretty gnarly final stint due to traffic but I’ve been hectic since.

What an epic trip! It sucks to be back. I never usually get the holiday blues but I have this time. Apart from for family, I really didn’t want to come home, but enough whinging I need to appreciate the fact that I could buy a GT3 then do such a fantastic trip in it. Very Happy

I was going to cover this on the thread I started about all the info etc but it’s relevant to the car and is the biggest trip I’ll be doing in it for a while, so I’ll stick it in here.

It won’t be an encyclopaedic report as I tend to live in the moment when experiencing things in life, hence I don’t actually take that many photos.
Before the trip I did plan on spending 5 minutes a night once out there, jotting down the main experiences of that particular day, but again I was having too much fun to bother, so I didn’t. Wink
As such it’s all a blur now and I’ve a memory like a sieve, but I’ll pop things up as I think of them.

So...
Was it fun? Obviously and hugely so.
There’s just a massive sense of freedom and excitement when heading off abroad with mates in cars. Smile

Was the car as good as I’d hoped? Definitely, in fact it was better in a lot of ways, although I’ve had a big issue with one thing. No fault of the cars (or mine) and easy to sort but far from ideal. More on that later.

Did I get done for speeding? Of course. There maybe more fines on the way too as I was getting flashed right up to the last day. Surprised

Any disasters? Not really. Challenges along the way for sure, but we can look back and laugh now. Grin

So back to the start.
I had one major thing to address before we set off. Those bloody squealing brakes!
The anti-squeal stuff I’d fitted did very little (Henry “Slippydiff” did tell me that Wink ) and if I’d headed away with the car screeching like that I’d have hated it by the time we got home.
Henry said it would be the rears and he was bang on again. I couldn’t tell for sure before swapping them, but as the rears are cheapest I changed those first. Henry also came to the rescue with a set of almost new genuine pads and got them to me in time to get them swapped before departure. Cheers H! Thumb
I added the anti-squeal stuff again just to be sure the pads had the best possible chance of remaining quiet.

Fitted along with the 997 rear ducts I had in my stash.

All done and silent brakes. I still have the immense stopping power from the front RS29s and Alcon discs but also have a nice standard rear setup with no noise.
Finally! Very Happy

With that I gave the car a wash and polish and applied my Rossi/Simoncelli decals to show my support as I was visiting their home towns on my trip.

Trip set to zero, all levels checked and I was ready to go.

Away we go!......

More to follow. Cheers. Thumb

The return of Marty Wild
Kyalami

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy days, mate. Glad you had fun! Thumb

Boxster S 986.1
Cayman S 987.1 (gone but not forgotten)

Marky911
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marty, yep it was great. Not sure when I’ll next get out there mind. Anyway I hope you’re well and have been enjoying your car. Thumb

Day 1. Thursday 8th Aug - Northumberland to St Quentin.
490 miles (although some were on the train).

Don’t worry there aren’t 22 days of write-ups. Wink
Some days the cars didn’t move. In fact at Portofino/Santa Margherita they didn’t move from the day we arrived until the day we left.

So the time had come and after months of planning and excitement it was time to set off. Always one of the best parts of a trip even though what lay ahead was just a long boring motorway session.

On the trip would be me, my mates Paul in his Spyder and Graham in his 458 (plus wives). Graham was going to take the Performante but decided it’s just too hardcore for the mileages we’d be doing. The seats are torture devices. Grin

So we met at Graham’s for 6.45am to leave at 7.

Graham had struggled with his GB sticker placement. Floor

We hit the road and made great time to the Tunnel. Unfortunately it was all for nothing as crossings were suspended due to power failure. Is that a thing? Or do they just say that whenever there’s an incident of any kind?
We should have been on the 14.20pm train arriving in Calais at 15.55pm but we lost a good hour or two at the terminal. It was sweltering hot too.
We finally boarded and eventually arrived at St Quentin at about 7pm I think.

Graham locked his car and did off to the loo five carriages away. His alarm then went off for the next 15 minutes much to everyone’s delight, especially the campervan driver in front. Graham also said he almost got sucked into the toilet but that’s a different story. Grin

We stopped here in St Q, but it wasn’t great -

https://hotel-le-florence.fr/en/home/

It was clean and fine for a one night stop over but the parking was chaotic. Full to the brim so they pointed to a car park down the road. I explained that we’d only booked the place due to the secure parking so they squeezed us into the car park blocking other cars, but saying it would be fine.

With that we ditched our bags and went out for beer and steak.
The town centre was ok, but dead. It was 8pm but completely shut down. There was a fake beach in the town square but that was silent and locked up.

We ate at “The Famous Golden Pub”. The only place that was remotely busy. Decent atmosphere and a tasty steak. We didn’t have a late one though as we had an early start the next day and we were meeting friends in Annecy the next night so wanted to get there earlier than we’d arrived at St Q. Wink

Coming back to the chaotic parking at the hotel, as I’ve said the receptionist said my car would be fine blocking others in. No surprise then that when I came down the next morning to load the car before breakfast, there was a very irate couple from Belgium having a rant at me for blocking them in.
Their English was as poor as my Dutch (or whatever they were speaking) so I couldn’t explain that reception had put me there and that I wasn’t actually the inconsiderate Porsche w8nk3r they clearly thought I was. Never mind eh..
Grin
So with that I went and “enjoyed” breakfast, which was the usual cereal and pastries. Average but it filled a hole.

Anyway we were on holiday and it was a new day, yippee!

Day 2. Friday 9th - St Quentin to Annecy.
350 miles.
Another boring motorway slog but with better scenery. We had absolutely torrential rain on the motorway mind. We almost had to stop, you couldn’t see a thing.
This soon cleared though and the sun came back out.
Emovis tags working nicely at the toll booths, good tunes on the stereo and plenty of p1ss taking on the walkie talkies. All was right with the world. Very Happy

We stopped at Reims (Gueux to be pedantic) for the obligatory picture.

It can be quite an eerie place, although the locals have been restoring it for years.
I actually prefer the old original condition but I can appreciate their efforts.

Then it was back on the road to Annecy.
We were meeting our mate Sean who has the red BGTS earlier in my thread. He was staying about an hour away from Annecy with his wife and daughters, hence we were all meeting up for dinner that night.

We got to Annecy about 4pm.
Hotel we stayed at was this place. -

https://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-0340-mercure-annecy-sud-hotel/index.shtml

Decent value, modern air con rooms and secure parking. Much better than the place before.

Anyway it was a case of dash in, freshen up and dash out for beer and pizza.
Annecy is great. I need to go back there and give it more time.

We met up with Sean and had a nice meal and wandered the town a bit. Nice night.
We said our goodbyes and headed back to the hotel.
Next day was to be another early start. Some holiday eh. Very Happy
It would be the first day of decent driving but it was also a Saturday so we had to set off as early as we could....

More to follow...
Apologies if it’s boring, but hey I’m the self appointed boss of this thread so what you gonna do about it? Very Happy . I maybe should have stuck it all in the actual thread I started for it. It’s a load of holiday snaps after all. Never mind.

Marky911
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 3 - Annecy to Nice via Route Napoleon N85 (supposedly Wink ).

A serious lack of pics for this day as we were just enjoying the driving. I’ll try to not make it too boring (and no doubt fail) but I’m including the info incase it’s of use to anyone.

Ok, this was the first day I was using one of my pre-loaded maps that I’d painstakingly spent hours and hours planning and getting to work before we left.
Well guess what? It didn’t work. Grin
We set it away and it seemed to follow my route for a while but then reverted to the quickest route. Aaaarrggghh!
This led to some unintentional route changes throughout the day. Hey ho.

I’d planned to do the route Harry Metcalfe does in his Countach video -

https://youtu.be/TB7_YZMqOWw

It’s basically the Route Napoleon N85 which runs from Grenoble to Nice, but hopping off at Gap then picking it up again at Digne.

We left Annecy at 8am. Should have left at 6am really but we were destined for a bit of traffic either way.
It was a good hour or two from Annecy to Grenoble before the good roads even started.
We began the Route Nap which was lovely. We caught a few cars etc, but they were easy to pick off.
We came off at Gap as planned and followed the 900B west through Remollon and then south towards Selonnet then Seyne.

Quick stop in Remollon for a drink and so Paul could take the Spyder roof off. -

After Remollon we took a turn-in one junction too soon to head south for Selonnet and found ourselves on the 900C not B.
This was a bumpy little mountainside road but was great fun.
We emerged at the other end and picked up the 900B down to Digne where we rejoined the Route Nap.

Further on from Digne is Barreme where the Route Nap becomes the D4085 or you turn left onto the N202.
I was really looking forward to staying on the Route Nap as the lower half down through Castellane etc that we were about to do, was the more scenic and twisty half. However we somehow ended up heading east on the N202 instead. frustrated
This was no bad thing as it’s still a lovely sweeping road with lots of great scenery, it just wasn’t what we’d planned.
It followed a stunning blue lake for a few miles called Lac de Castillon.
For all these places, I wish we’d had more time to stop and enjoy. That’s the nature of the beast though. Too many places and not enough time.

Quick stop at Lac de Castillon for pics and for Paul to put his roof back on. The 35 degree heat was simply too much, even with the air-con blowing. Grin
There was a guy paddle boarding down the length of the lake on his own and it looked like a great way to spend an afternoon. I want to revisit most of this trip in a motorhome in a few years time.

After this we continued to Entrevaux and had lunch at a great little outdoor roadside cafe.

We then headed down to Nice following the the river Var for what felt like ages. Again great scenery but not the twistiest of roads.
I had planned on coming up this road to get to Entrevaux on the Red Rock road day in two days time but more on that later.

Anyway we arrived in Nice and Paul and Graham peeled off to Monaco where they were stopping at the Fairmont. I had considered moving round to join them for the last night before we moved on to Portofino, but that day would be the Red Rock day so we’d be out until 7 or 8pm. Pointless paying £500 for a night for a hotel to get there, have dinner, then go to bed. Plus the more I saw of the Fairmont and in particular Nikki Beach, the less I wanted to go. I don’t think it’s for me.

So me and Mrs Marky were happy in our air BnB in Nice.
Lovely old townhouse.

As ever I’d booked it for the secure parking but we couldn’t get up into the drive so the car had to live on the street anyway. Never mind, it was fine.

All in all a great days driving although I was miffed to have missed the second half of the N85. I had a plan though. Wink

Last edited by Marky911 on Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:43 am; edited 4 times in total

coullstar
Albert Park

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks awesome all dirty like that. Trip looks ace as well, sadly my missus would not entertain that so chance of me doing this are slim to none.

Next update?

freddie44
Albert Park

2007 Porsche 997 GT3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoyable read and pictures are brill... is there anything better than a filthy GT3?

Love this area - so much to see/do/chill/coffee/beers but not enough time!

Enjoy Thumb
1997 TVR Chimaera 4L V8
2010 Vespa 125
2019 Tiger "Push-bike"
Instagram for lots more pics: @London_Classica

Marky911
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Graham. Thumb
Yep it got a bit mucky. Wait until you see it after the drive across Tuscany later on in the holiday. It’s bad. Grin
Pity your lass wouldn’t be up for it. I guarantee there’d be aspects she’d love. Mind you I also guarantee there’d be aspects she’d hate as it’s even further for you guys to get to the south of France and the day at each end of the trip just to get out of the UK is never much fun.
My wife wasn’t interested in cars or road trips when we met. She’s still not massively into cars but loves the trips. It’s always an adventure with things happening and plans changing. We love it.

I will have to get another bit written up as I’m quickly forgetting a lot of it, now I’m back in the daily grind.

Hi Freddie, thanks for the comments and yes I just love it down there. I wanted to come back, sell up and do off in a motorhome but we’ll have to hang fire another 10 years realistically. nooo

Our mate Graham with the 458 is going back out for the whole of next year in his motorhome. He has his Royal Enfield bike on the back. Him and his wife just stop anywhere they like the look of, set the van up and go off exploring on the bike. Nowhere to be, with all the time in the world.
That’s why he’s probably selling his Huracan Performante, as it will just sit at home all year and probably lose £30k. The 458 is pretty safe money and he’s had that for ages.

He’s off to France, Spain and Portugal for the year and will just pop back home on the plane when he wants to. Cool

I’m not jealous. Very Happy

G2
Albert Park

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a great trip. Thumb

Looking forward to the Portofino and surrounding area details as planning a trip there next year.

Marky911
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi G2,
We stayed in Santa Margherita just around the corner, as Portofino is a lot smaller and more rustic. It’s all beautiful around there. You’ll love it. Thumb

This next update isn’t GT3 related but it was a fun day so I’ll quickly cover it.

Day 4 - Sunday 11th Aug.
First full day in Nice.

So what do you do if you want to go sightseeing along the Riviera and you have your 911 with you?

Hire one of these of course. Very Happy

This was a right laugh but also a fair bit of hassle. Being the complete imbecile that I am, I forgot my driving license when we went to collect it, hence Mrs Marky had to hire it and drive me back to the accommodation so I could send the guy a photo of my license then take over the driving.
That journey across Nice is the most scared I’ve been in a car for a few years. Surprised Very Happy

The plan was to go along to Monaco and have a drink with the rest of the gang then come back, however by the time we got there we barely had time plus we got stopped on the way into Monaco by a huge angry police officer, who wasn’t a fan of our little car. He stopped me going down the harbour road and told me to get back out.
The car had no reverse though so I had to get out in all the traffic and push it backwards in a circle then hop in and go.
Not fun at the time but I could laugh about it afterwards.
We didn’t have our passports on us either which I wasn’t sure if we’d need or not, to go into Monaco?
So we basically headed back with our preloaded sat-nav and took in some sights.
My mate reckons it’s a good job we didn’t get into casino square as we’d have had cabbages and tomatoes thrown at us. Grin

View point at Menton.

The fun continued when we got back to Nice. Loads of roadworks and we got completely lost and stuck in the old town.
The hire guy had been watching where I was on the tracker/nav and he suddenly appeared on a moped so I could follow him back. Phew!
We were very near the hire place but he said once we went down the road we did, he knew we wouldn’t get out.
I thought “Why not warn us not to follow the nav back then??” but hey, no big deal. Grin

So if you’re ever in Nice and are worried you may be a bit too relaxed just meandering around, chilling out, I can recommend a little blue car to stress you out. Grin

It wasn’t much fun stuck at 50kph through the tunnels either, with a Merc G wagon welded to my back bumper, or rather the back of my head, given how low we were. Very Happy

On the whole it was a right laugh though and it was great nipping about in the sunshine. Cool

We got back, ditched it and had a few drinks around the marina.

We then went back, freshened up and went out for the night.
We found a great bar/restaurant called Le Hussard. Great tunes, great atmosphere and cocktails for the Mrs. You can sit on the roof terrace and watch the world go by. Well worth a visit if you’re in Nice. thumbsup

Back in the GT3 next time thankfully and one of the key driving days...

Marky911
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big post, sorry. It may bore most but may help some.

Day 5 - Monday 12th August
Day out driving from Nice.

As I mentioned earlier I was a bit annoyed that the Maps I’d tried to plan made us miss the lower half of the Route Napoleon from Castellane onwards on the way to Nice, hence instead of going up the Var river towards Entrevaux to get to Daluis (the way we actually ended up coming in), we decided to go up to Castellane on the Route Nap.

We’d then do -
N202 through Entrevaux
D2202 Red Rock Road
Col de Cayolle
Col de Bonnette

(We had also planned on doing the Col de Turini on the way back, but ran out of time.)

So it was just me and Mrs Marky for this one. Paul had hired a push-bike in Monaco and the rest were happy chilling out or drinking. I can ride a bike or chill out at home though, so if I’ve driven 1100 miles or whatever to Nice, I’m not going to miss out on the point of the holiday, which is driving great roads. Wink
We had loads of chill time coming up anyway so it would be daft to miss this day.

So off we went along to Grasse and then started climbing up the Route Napoleon heading North.

Great stretch of road and just the right mix of bends. Not too many hairpins making it go-stop, go-stop and the traffic was much lighter than when we’d tried it on Saturday.
We arrived in Castellane mid to late morning.
Lovely little town with the famously high church/monument on the hill and a perfectly clear river flowing through.

You can just see the monument at the top of a couple of the pics.

We had lunch in Castellane before heading north on the D955 past Lac de Castillon again, but the opposite end to the other day.

We picked up the N202 and headed east towards Entrevaux, where we’d stopped for lunch a few days before.

This I where I got done for speeding. Heading east along the N202 there’s a fast straight downhill stretch just before a gentle left hand bend, then a left turn onto the D2202.
I remember overtaking a car and thinking “you could really get up to silly speeds down here” so I backed off. Luckily for me, as the fine could have been much worse.

Anyway, we were here, one of the key roads of my trip...
D2202 The Red Rock road.
I had seen this on a video by MrJWW, a YouTuber I’m a fan of.
I’d would say if you’re a petrol head and like road trips and good roads then watch this video from 8 minutes in. Or even just the opening sequence to be honest, but it’s repeated after the 8 minute point anyway.
It will do the place way more justice than my rather scant, amateur photos.
So this is the video that started this whole trip in my head -

https://youtu.be/indmPwrKy1Y

It did not disappoint. What a road!
Fast sweeping stuff at the start until you begin climbing and encountering more bends, tunnels etc. Oh and BIG scenery.

Had to stop pretty quickly to take the place in..

Everyone loves a bridge..

View up the valley -

View back down -

Onwards we went climbing higher, until we got to the point where the rock changes from white to red.
It really is quite dramatic. Almost otherworldly. Cool

Looking back down the valley. It doesn’t look that high in this pic but you can just see what is a fair sized bridge all the way down in the distance.
You’ll also notice the rain clouds rolling in. We were in for a storm alright and just like the scenery, it was big. Very Happy

The real twisty stuff starts now with the awesome scenery continuing -

Looking back -

We continued up the valley stopping to enjoy the different view points etc, with waterfalls spouting out of rock faces etc.

And just like that it was over. The rock changed back to white etc and we carried on our way. A year or two in the planning and definitely worth it.

We were still climbing that same road though as it leads right up into the mountains to the towns Barcolonette and Jausiers, via a very high pass called the Col de Cayolle.
While we outside taking the last pics at the top of the Red Rock road, the thunder claps were getting nearer and the heavens opened. We were heading right into the rain clouds.

So onwards we went and began the Col de Cayolle. I’d describe this as more of a scenic, sightseeing road rather than a drivers road as like many of the really high passes, it’s simply hairpin after hairpin up the side of steep mountain. Still great for stunning views etc but you’re a brave man if you go nuts up here.
The road itself is narrow with no barriers etc and sheer drops. You glance out of the side window and can see down past your wheels, way down into the valley.
This road and the Col de Bonnette definitely cured me of my fear of high dodgy roads as once you were on them you just had to get it done. Grin

I’ve no pictures of the climb up the Cayolle because the rain went from heavy in a funny “haha, this is bad” kind of way, to absolutely chucking it down in a “Jesus this is actually getting dangerous” kinda way.
The rain was bouncing and I could barely see ahead. The road had become like a river. Thank god for PS2s and not Cups. Having said that the rears were still spinning up over bad surfaces etc. No Traction control in the GT3 so you need to be smooth.
We pulled in at one point facing up the steep road and I actually contemplated turning around.
We couldn’t make out where the summit was on the map and it was really getting dodgy.

We decided to push on so when another car came past I tagged onto it. Safety in numbers an’ all that. Very Happy

Anyway I’m glad we did because we had only been a few bends from the top.
We got over and headed down the other side, breathing a huge sigh of relief.

Heading down the northern side of Col de Cayolle -

We descended down the Cayolle and passed by Barcolonette before stopping in Jausiers for petrol. They even had Super.

We had thought we’d stop for food mid afternoon but it was now teatime so whilst we were peckish we thought we’d better push on. At least we were at the furthest point away from our accommodation so we’d be heading home from here on in.

We considered a more direct route home rather than the next pass etc, due to the weather but it basically meant crossing into Italy and we didn’t have our passports. Doh!

Todays lesson of the day - Always grab your passports when going out, even if it’s just day driving then back to the same place.

So with little choice we had to head to the Col de Bonette (as originally planned before I got scared like a big girl Very Happy ) to take us south back towards the coast.
Luckily the weather eased and the road itself was no bother at all when compared with being almost washed off the Col de Cayolle. Grin
We’d planned on stopping here for a cuppa (since the planning stages of the trip), which is right at the start of the Col de Bonette -

However, it was about 5pm so it was closed. So off we went and began climbing the Bonette.

I’m stating the obvious but the climbs are mega steep. It’s like that climb you do on a rollercoaster. You’re just sat staring up into the sky for most of it.
No drama though, apart from a herd of mountain sheep right near the top.
They were running all over and jumping off 6ft ledges bashing into cars and all sorts. How we didn’t get any damage is a miracle. Grin
I tried to have a word with the chief sheep (he was the one with the bell) about the inconvenience they were causing to other road users, but he didn’t want to know. In fact I think he muttered F yew or something.

Once at the top the views were as spectacular as ever. Higher than the cloud and the road was just a little piece of grey ribbon disappearing into the distance way below.

The pics don’t do the drop offs justice. Over that mound of stones on the edge of the road is simply a cliff edge basically. Get it wrong up here and you’re not going to be walking away, hence us going quickly but not daft.

The route must be of historic military relevance as there are big villages/barracks along the way. Disused and quite eerie. At the moment I’m struggling to find all of our pics so have none of the actual villages. I’ll ask my wife if there are any saved somewhere else.

Found one -

Anyway we now had a lovely downhill stint heading south to Rimplas, Clans and then back onto the N202 a little way west of Entrevaux.
We then headed back to Nice the same way we’d come in on our arrival day.

As mentioned we had originally planned on hooking a left at Rimplas when heading south and going along to do the Col de Turini but we were quickly learning why people say allow much longer to get around when doing those passes.

Only as we traveled down the valley did we realise just how powerful the rain had been.
Several landslides and at one point we had to stop altogether for a while, while workmen cleared the road with JCBs etc.
Other sections of road were strewn with rocks that had fallen etc.
As they say on that family guy sketch “Damn nature. You scary!” Very Happy

We finally made it back to Nice at about 9pm, tired and exhausted after a great day, but we freshened up and headed out for our last night in Nice.
We had a few drinks and for food we ended up at an Australian pub called Van Diemens.
We only stopped for a drink initially but given how tired we were and how decent the food looked, we ended up eating there.
The food was fantastic. Not sure if we got fished in to a typical Med tale but the chef had supposedly been a chef on luxury yachts but wanted to settle down on land, hence opened this place.
I can believe it mind, going by the quality of the food. It was brilliant.
Anyway after the meal and a few Erdingers we headed back to get some much needed shut eye.

The Red Rock road had delivered. Cool

Sorry for the long post. This is me trying to be brief. Wink

Last edited by Marky911 on Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:03 pm; edited 2 times in total

DucatiRob
Kyalami

2006 Porsche 997 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic write up Marky, and great pics! That part of the world is stunning, have been around that area several times but not yet in my 911! Must plan something in the next couple of years!
Thumb
Ducati 996

infrasilver
Fast & Furious
Fast & Furious

2001 Porsche 996 Targa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was waiting for your report on the Umbrail Pass, which I guess is still to come, but as I was thinking about it a week or more ago I decided I will go myself for one last run across Europe before the passes start to close for the year.

Although I have seen some pictures over the last couple of day of snow in quite a few places already and I heard today that the Stelvio was closed. My fingers are crossed that these are only temporarily closed due to a bit of early snow?

Keep the story coming.

When I was in Nice recently my Hotel Balcony was the one circled below.

Last edited by infrasilver on Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Alex
Le Mans
Le Mans

2000 Porsche 996 Carrera 4

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent thread mate - not boring at all and a great read + photos thumbsup worship

NLW73
Albert Park

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great read and an amazing trip. as you say its that sense of freedom and excitement when you hit Calais.

when you got flashed was it front facing cams?

am planning a trip to Stuttgart in half term October and hoping for good weather. going to go via reims and stay in baden. some nice roads in the Vosper mountains then do the B500 too and onto the museum. may even go to Mercedes too.

Y2K
Montreal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you said you didn’t take many pictures Dont know

Very Cool

Marky911
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mornin' lads, thanks for the comments. Thumb

Hi Rob, get it done! As you say it's just such a stunning part of the world.
I'm guessing you've done it on your bikes then? Great fun. I was very envious of the bikers, as they could pick traffic off so easily, which means nothing could spoil their journey.
As you know though, the stakes are even higher if it goes pear-shaped on the edge of a mountain. Surprised
Me and my mates were/are bikers and a few of them have been out there on the bikes and say it's awesome. Thumb

Hi Chris, small world then eh. Grin Busy street that one.
Well I hope you have a good one and beat the snow. Yes we did the Umbrail, great little road! Far more enjoyable than the Stelvio to be honest but yes I'll cover that when I get to it. I'm jealous you can get another visit in before summer is out. Mr. Green
Thanks for the help prior to the trip. Much appreciated. thumbsup

Morning Alex, cheers and thanks to you too for the help. I was going to say a big thank you to everyone at the end of this thread, as the info I received from yourself, Chris, et al, played a massive part in things going so well.
I mentioned earlier that we had a bit of bother with the parking at St Q, but that's just one of those things and serves us right for getting there so late. Very Happy
Your recommendation for Santa Margherita was spot on. Great hotel that one. Cheers. thumbsup

Alex
Le Mans
Le Mans

2000 Porsche 996 Carrera 4

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumb

Must have been a timing thing with St Q - peak time, late arrival, etc. My family stopped there twice in August and had no bother. They also said the hot & cold buffet breakfast was fantastic.

The town itself is a bit drab mind but that's Northern France for you. Bit like living up North in the UK Grin

Can't wait for the next installment. Thumb

Marky911
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi NLW and YK, I was replying to the others while you posted there.

NL, yep, exactly, front facing cameras and probably blatantly obvious if I had my wits about me. Very Happy
I'll be honest, we never used to go mega daft through France, but now it really can be rather boring sitting at the limit. I generally kept an eye on what the limit was but went quick enough for it to be fun. Although on the way home, over the last two days I just said sod it and pushed on.

Our mate Paul in the Spyder had to be home before the rest of us so he went his own way after Portofino. He went and did a few Austrian passes, popped into the Porsche museum, Spa, then home. I'll pop a pic or two of his up from our road trip WhatsApp group. Thumb

My relative disregard for the limit means this was to be expected....
(Dropped through the door yesterday - fine number 2) frustrated

45 euro so not so bad.

Hi Yk, ha thanks.
I did take pics but not always relevant ones. Very Happy
A lot seem to be missing actually, but there's enough there to show the basics. Thumb

Yep Alex, most of the reviews rave about the breakfast, I probably wasn't looking hard enough. Wink No issues with the room mind. Had a great nights sleep and that's the main thing. Can't quibble regards value for money. Thumb

HSC911
Long Beach

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW Surprised

AMAZING AMAZING pics worship

Thumb

Marky911
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Jin. Thumb

Hope you’re well. I haven’t seen your name popping up on here as much lately.
Working hard or hardly working? Grin

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: