Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The dreaded broken indicator stalk 😢

Nick-L

So yesterday, and typically while my wife was driving the car, my beloved C4S has succumbed to the dreaded broken indicator stalk problem...

The usual symptoms, doesn't self cancel when turning left and won't click in to place when turning right.

From everything I've read this isn't repairable and I'll have to replace the entire stalk assembly, is that right?

Oh and of course my car has the 4 stalk setup with cruise and OBC...which is just bound to be the most expensive/hardest to find?! 🙈

Other than OPC, eBay or Design911 I can't find any other options. eBay I'm wary as you've no idea what you're buying, could have the same fault etc. D911 v expensive, OPC I've not priced yet but I'm guessing again v expensive?

Am I missing another option...or dare I ask if anyone has a good working stalk set they'd sell?

Wife won't drive the car again until it's repaired, which could be a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it?! 🤣🤣🤣

You could risk a used one, although you may end up in the same position in the not too distant future and used ones go for £100+.
And yep everyone chases the Cruise stalk units to retrofit it. Sod's Law. :grin:

I must say though, although it's not great that the unit has bust, when it comes to 996 ownership its small fry. :wink:
Had your title read 'The dreaded 996 engine failure" then that would have been a lot worse. :D

Good luck getting sorted though. :thumb:

Carparts4less were the cheapest for me when mine went a few months back :thumb:

I just went through this last winter. Order a three stalk, it's considerably cheaper. Your 4th stalk for the computer can be removed from your original and installed on new. New is all ready to receive the 4th arm.

...forgive me but I can't help but raise a wry smile at a 996 owner who describes a broken indicator stalk as "dreaded" ... of all of the failures that could occur with these motors this is the least of your worries...

:D

GMG said:
...forgive me but I can't help but raise a wry smile at a 996 owner who describes a broken indicator stalk as "dreaded" ... of all of the failures that could occur with these motors this is the least of your worries...

:D

It was very much tongue in cheek!

Trust me if it was any of the more serious 'known issues' I'd not be so light hearted! 🙈😂

jezgreen911 said:
Carparts4less were the cheapest for me when mine went a few months back :thumb:

I looked on CP4L earlier as I found a recommendation somewhere, but couldn't find stalks on their site at all?? Maybe they don't sell them currently?

Marky911 said:
You could risk a used one, although you may end up in the same position in the not too distant future and used ones go for £100+.
And yep everyone chases the Cruise stalk units to retrofit it. Sod's Law. :grin:

I must say though, although it's not great that the unit has bust, when it comes to 996 ownership its small fry. :wink:
Had your title read 'The dreaded 996 engine failure" then that would have been a lot worse. :D

Good luck getting sorted though. :thumb:

Cheers, that's my thoughts too, 2nd hand unit could break again and I'm not sure I can be bothered with the faff of changing it twice...or the associated earache that could ensue!

Tongue in cheek title, I know it could be a hell of a lot worse! 😉😂

JTT said:
I just went through this last winter. Order a three stalk, it's considerably cheaper. Your 4th stalk for the computer can be removed from your original and installed on new. New is all ready to receive the 4th arm.

Cheers JTT, I did wonder if there was a way of swapping over the good bits so that's great advice, thanks 👍🏻

Billy Bumpsteer said:
99661321911EWC Just over £300 inc

Thanks, I'll give my local OPC a try tomorrow and see what they can do for me 😉

Inflation :eek:

I am sure I only paid £180 for mine....but it was about 6-7 years ago.

Anyway....you can save a few quid by fitting it yourself.

There is a youtube video to give you some help. Mine was a tippi, so it had a few more wires if I remember correctly.

I paid £205 last year. IIRC the 4 stalk was cheaper than the 3!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back