Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gearbox issue.

Lee997

im suspecting the gearbox brain circuit board is playing up in my 997.1. Anyone know where I can source one?

Lee.

Hello Lee
Think we're going to need more info here.
What is the fault & fault code?
Proper diagnosis needed or you'll gradually replace parts till fault is fixed.

Assume its a tip - if so, its a MB unit, so plenty of parts and knowledge there.

Hi Jonno,

Couple of months back I gave it a large amount of right foot while right hand round a roundabout, the gear indicator started alternating between D & N car went into limp mode and warning came up in main instrument showing a red rectangle box with two circles in it with the warning triptronic overrun.

After turning off and restarting fault cleared, although I did replicate the fault out of curiosity?

It's behaved since ( although I'm not sure I've put it under the same stress since)!

week or two ago while on a road trip of a few hundreds miles on a very hot day, I accelerated heavily and the gear indicator went out (no gear selected) I immediately dropped the throttle waited a few seconds and it found gear again.

I've discussed with a local Indi, who recon it's the contacts on the circuit board work loose after time and replacing the board would fix it! Although after trying they state porsche no longer sell the board but will look around for me?

Lee.

Do you have the part number or a description of the part?

I can give a guy a ring on Monday morning to see if he has one.

I'm just taking it from what my local indi told me re- there being a board in the box (from underneath the car) it's above the solenoid tray, apparently known for this error and causing problems. The contacts work loose?

Not seen it or had it out, can't find a listing on regular parts sites?

Lee997 said:
im suspecting the gearbox brain circuit board is playing up in my 997.1. Anyone know where I can source one?

Lee.

Bumping my own thread but thought the outcome was worth passing on.

I had a new control board fitted in my Triptronic gearbox a week or so back.

To my knowledge everything was working fine except this accessional fault would occur although worrying when it did, like pulling out to over take planting the throttle, the revs increasing but no gear light indicated !

So new board was fitted and I have to say chalk and cheese!

This is my first Porsche and I thought it was good, but after the board instal it's nothing short of amazing?

There's a few differences to note, the gearbox dosent systematically change up to 5th and stay there anymore it will stay in 4th if speed is correct.
Biggest change is the almost instant reaction when you plant your right foot it drops as low as 2nd gear and simply takes off. This reaction time is so much faster than before?

I'd go as far as saying if you have a 997 of any age it might just be worth changing the board with a strong chance you'll transform your cars performance.

It's not an over complicated job either?

Lee.

Tiptronic boxes can drop into lazy mode. A few prods of the throttle will reset it. I'm guessing your new board hasn't adapted yet.

I had what sounds like exactly the same problem. I. Have access to a durametric which reported an issue with the turbine sensor N2 reading. On looking at the actual values the N1 was reading engine speed but N2 was either reading zero or 9000 rpm. The solution is a replacement conductor plate although it's advisable to also change the connector plug. I managed to do mine on the garage floor with a 3 ft lift. The most difficult part was the connector plug but overall it took about 6 hours. I bought the replacement conductor plate and plug from auto doc. The conductor plate comes with new turbine sensors but the solenoids need swapping. The total cost was £250 including fluids filter and gaskets.
Hope this helps
PS there are several YouTube videos which are helpful but under the MB heading it is a Merc 776.2

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mint_Sauce
Back