Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 cabriolet water in rear passenger foot well

Iwantone

Trainee
Hi,

After being away for 2 weeks I found my car giving weird fault codes, such as spoiler not operating and roof not being fastened properly. I though it was due to the battery but it was soon pointed out to me that the rear passenger foot well was wet and that the ECU under the passenger seat operates such functions that caused the fault codes. I dried the area and it appears and the ECU is now functioning with no errors so it looks as though I caught it just in time.

I read up on the possible cause of leaks and checked the hopper and outlet in the wheel arch, both of which are clear.

I see from the hopper there are plastic channels that go up and back towards the side edge of the convertible roof. I am going to try and take a closer look at this area by removing the carpet cover under the convertible roof. Has anybody seen the plastic channels coming away from the side ? Do you know if they are clipped in place ?

Any input or pointers much appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

I assume you have removed the rear quarter panel ( it has the speaker in it ) and have full access to the drain system ?

Basically these can have a blockage at the outlet tube which is behind the arch liner or the " hopper " as you call it .. a small leaf in this area is enough to cause an overflow .

If nothing obvious then do what i would do .. with panels removed so you can see then sit inside the car and have someone hose it down and look for a problem .

The usual problems are a blockage top and bottom of the drain pipe .. if you have checked these and its all ok then this is the next test to perform .

Photos if possible so i can see what you can :)

BTW .. its extremely rare for the rear control unit to get wet and then recover .. i would test all rear lights , spoiler and alarm siren .. trigger the alarm to confirm its all ok .

Thanks for the information and guidance. I did have the rear quarter panel removed and know that the pipes and 'hopper' are clear. Though they may have cleared while I was blowing through them.

In the end I ran out of time so at the weekend I'll get the quarter panel out again and have a mate run the hose to see if there is still a leak.

I'll also double check the ECU functions.

Thanks again, I'll let you know how I get on..

Continued the diagnosis yesterday and all is working fine.

Though in the process we did find a couple of things that needed rectifying so it was worth the effort.

I suspect that the initial problem was caused by a dehumidifier that was left under the passenger seat and had spilt some water around the rear ECU. A bit like the water bottle issue...

The functions of the rear ECU are working perfectly so the Porsche gods were looking down on me ;)

Ahh yes .. the humidifier if at a slight angle will "leak " shall we say .. ours does the same at work .. has to be bolt upright .

Lucky is all i can say .. very lucky with the control unit .. i would still keep it in mind should you have electrical gremlins in the future though ...

In this area i talk from Great experience !

Btw .. hats off to you there .. pulling the rear panel may sound easy but it's not as straightforward as it seems .

deMort said:
Ahh yes .. the humidifier if at a slight angle will "leak " shall we say .. ours does the same at work .. has to be bolt upright .

Lucky is all i can say .. very lucky with the control unit .. i would still keep it in mind should you have electrical gremlins in the future though ...

In this area i talk from Great experience !

Btw .. hats off to you there .. pulling the rear panel may sound easy but it's not as straightforward as it seems .

Thanks for the hint with regards to the ECU...noted..

Yes, taking off the rear panel was not easy...it took us some time to identify the screw behind the speaker and the clip a third up from the bottom...

Hopefully it's not something I have to do regularly.

Appreciate your feedback and assistance.

Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back