Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Head unit upgrade

oldgit st

Hi all,

So im replacing the headunit at the weekend to my current sound package plus system.
I have everything I need and will be posting install later.

One question I have (and im asking as I seem to remember seeing a post that I cant find that mentioned this) is it absolutely necessary to disconnect the battery.
I seem to remember a post saying you have to or some sort of error code ensues.... I maybe totally wrong....just I have always on all cars when doing this left the battery connected without issue....

any help appreciated
:thumbs:

You'll get a PSM error after a battery disconnect but a short drive will clear it.

I didnt disconnect the battery, I think you only really need to do that on a radio swap if you really dont know what you are doing...
Tip for you just in case you didnt realise, make sure you set all the audio controls on the PCM unit to 0 (fader, balance, bass, treble etc), otherwise your new unit might sound a bit weird (depending on if you are replacing all the factory amps etc).

what system are you putting in? if you have BOSe what unit are you using for the MOST circuit? :thumb:

Hi All

Could somebody kindly post a piccy of the head unit they are replacing as I am thinking about this

Many thanks

Hertsdriver said:
I didnt disconnect the battery, I think you only really need to do that on a radio swap if you really dont know what you are doing...
Tip for you just in case you didnt realise, make sure you set all the audio controls on the PCM unit to 0 (fader, balance, bass, treble etc), otherwise your new unit might sound a bit weird (depending on if you are replacing all the factory amps etc).

what system are you putting in? if you have BOSe what unit are you using for the MOST circuit? :thumb:

Thanks for this tip.... im replacing the headunit, my system was the sound package plus (NON bose) system that has an analouge ASK amp in the frunk underpanel that just needs a turn on signal - the headunit has a Fibre optic loop for the satnav/dvd but the usual speaker terminals control all the speakers and amp.... so I will just lose the info screen on the tach for satnav etc so will set it to something else instead. NO steering wheel controls.

I was torn between the sony xav-ax200 as it had the volume knob and CD or the XAV-ax3005db for the bigger screen but the volume done by a physical button.
After using the updated android auto the other week I was sold. both units have this and apple carplay. USB connection which I prefer to keep the phone charged whilst it runs on Android auto.

I chose the ax3005 as the larger screen does make quite a difference. I also purchased a dongmao steering wheel remote that ive seen used on this unit (only £15) and will give me a way to do volume phone etc.

will let you all know how it goes....

excellent, I did exactly the same recently only with an alpine carplay unit. When I was looking for my car, I specifically wanted a non bose unit as its so much easier :) :)

I used this guide when I installed mine and it was invaluable in terms of making sure there was a signal to turn the frunk amp on. Well worth a read if you havnt thought about that bit:
http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=111204

I also recently hardwired a usb port into my armrest so that I can plug the phone in and leave it in there which is useful, details in my thread :thumb:

Ive recently bought a used BOSE subwoofer which I will wire up to the sub output on the new head unit to give a bit more bass, and have been investigating replacing the frunk amp with a decent 5 channel version. Most of the speakers seem to be ok, just under driven apart from the 4" units in the doors which are meant to be pretty crap. Might do that next. :dont know:

best of luck! :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back