Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Replace useless PCM with a "classic" unit

cvega

I'm a big fan of "classic" looking radios. What I mean is a single DIN unit that would provide the modern stuff, like DAB and possibly bluetooth - but not fussed about that.
Is there any recommendations here? Do any of them work with the in dash display (for nav mpg etc) ? Really thinking about ideas now as with the GPS issue the PCM has become more than useless to me.

Paddy78 said:
I bought one of these and it works really well and doesn't look out of place. They also do one without a CD player.

https://vdo-webshop.nl/en/249-continental-radio-s?page=2

I didn't have PCM, so haven't lost any functionality. I just use my phone for nav with a vent holder.

That's really cool looking, thanks. Do you have any pictures of it installed?

thanks, that looks spot on!! any special adapters needed?

Have you considered moving the control units around and putting in a modern double din unit that brings.you right up to current in terms of functionality?
I know Alex had done it and it looks factory.

I have, but to be honest, I don't need it. I don't need a flashy screen for navigation; Modern phone does this job much better.
I only need DAB and Bluetooth.

I love these threads, they show me that things I was perfectly happy with now need replacing :D

cvega said:
thanks, that looks spot on!! any special adapters needed?

Bergvill FX sell a harness that converts the VDO head unit to the factory wiring.

This is needed because the VDO only has amplified outputs, and the factory Beckers had line-output which then went to the amp in the boot.

I had, and then gave away, one of the VDO's because I wanted to keep line-output to the amp (and I'm an idiot, more than likely).

However, Blaupunkt are imminently* releasing this, the Blaupunkt Bremen 46 SQR DAB:

Blaupunkt_Bremen_1.jpg

Which has bluetooth, DAB, USB etc etc, and line-outputs.

I shall be getting one just as soon as it's available, and will then have my Becker Cascade Pro for sale.

*Although imminently may be an entirely new meaning of the word, looking at some forum posts about the release date

Grey996 said:
I love these threads, they show me that things I was perfectly happy with now need replacing :D

..any issues with the PCM date lately? :D

Dammit said:
This is needed because the VDO only has amplified outputs, and the factory Beckers had line-output which then went to the amp in the boot.

I have a PCM 2 (i think) - and I don't believe there's any amps anywhere (no BOSE). I would think that has amplified outputs straight to speakers? (only 4, 2 under the windscreen 2 in the rear )

Becker Cascade

Attachments

• img_0509_374.jpg
    img_0509_374.jpg
    328.7 KB · Views: 1,885

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back