Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

I''ve decided to expand on the GT3C theme. Just for fun.

C11BRA

Edit. [Inserted]

After much thought, I've decided to expand on the GT3 theme that my new cars previous owner started.

The concept I've chosen is to create a super comfort version of a GT3 styled car. A car that looks quite close to a factory GT3 but with comfort & convenience spec not normally specced by hardcore GT owners. (IE multifunction steering & Bose) Basically, at a glance, the car will look (to non experts) at close to a GT3 comfort as possible.

To experts, a simple glance at the engine sump or non-coil over suspension will give it away easily.

But this is not the point. I am not trying to fool anyone. I am not pretending to own a GT3. I am not pretending that it is even close to a GT3. I simply want to create a really nice car that floats my boat. It will be fun. Join me if you like & I would love your advice, comments & help.

Original post below:

So. My new car is lovely. Everything I wanted to replace my ageing 996 C2.

I'm a huge fan of the early 997 GT3 and all though I could have pulled together the cash to buy a genuine GT3 (around £70-£80k at the moment) I think I would be to worried about hooning it around Europe. Maybe this car will be the stepping stone. I've driven GT cars and I totally understand that they are a different beast.

However. For now, I'm looking for lower risk, comfort spec car with rear seats & non PCCB high running costs.

So I bought this 997.1 2006 with 75k miles.
So far, it looks really clean & tidy.

Personally I`d just remove any GT3 Badges on the car, leave it as a standard Aerokitted Carrera with 911 on the engine cover :thumb:

Don't shoot me.

It has:

The sacrilegious GT3 badge at the rear (from the 991). Should I simply de-badge?

The GT3 badged door sill covers.

Yellow seat belts. (I really like these).

GT3 RS inspired yellow belt door pulls.

Alcanta re-trimmed multi-function wheel, gear knob & handbrake with yellow stitching. (GT3's I believe, never had the MF wheel available). I like the MF wheel so it's a keeper. For now.

Rather incredibly, It has the 9k Rev limit GT3 badged rev counter. No idea if it's a genuine part or just a dial face. I will investigate.

It doesn't have the GT3 rear carpet badge. But it has the BOSE sub & rear seats so would have been obscured any way.

It seems to have an alcantara head lining. Is this standard?

No sunroof. Which is perfect.

PCM 2? Not got the nav working yet? Do I need a disc?

It has the Tooki adaptor for the phone.

Painted centre console. Standard?

Heated sports seats. Grey interior. Love it.

Auto dimming mirror.

Outside it has:

Front Aerokit bumper & splitter. All air guides look correct. Thinking of adding the 3rd radiator. It has the GT3 bumper moustache.

Rear Aerokit spoiler (no little black lip on lower edge like I've seen on real GT3's)

Rear GT3 bumper with centre exit.

Centre exit (terrorist) stainless complete exhaust.

Bilsteins & lowered H&R springs.

GT3 badged GT3 style alloys.

Non PCCB brakes but it has had its calipers painted yellow. Sacrilegious again, but kinda matches the interior theme with the yellow belts & stiching.

Bi Xenon with headlamp wash.

I welcome your thoughts. Do your worst.

just take off the GT3 badges then re-assess the position, seems fine otherwise

kurlykris said:
Personally I`d just remove any GT3 Badges on the car, leave it as a standard Aerokitted Carrera with 911 on the engine cover :thumb:

What about inside? Door sills & Rev counter too?

Just lose anything that says GT3, it isn`t a GT3 and never will be :thumb:

Mods, center exhaust, painted console, all fine and nice things to have :thumb:

Save the GT3 bits for when you get yourself a GT3 :judge:

kurlykris said:
Just lose anything that says GT3, it isn`t a GT3 and never will be :thumb:

Mods, center exhaust, painted console, all fine and nice things to have :thumb:

Save the GT3 bits for when you get yourself a GT3 :judge:

:agree:

I love all the styling (centre exit, kit, interior trim, yellow seat-belts etc)

Would just loose all the gt3 references.

In terms of badges, just 911 on the rear as already mentioned with coloured Porsche crests for the wheel centres.
Door sills, badge 911 if you can find that. Standard Carrara if you can't.

That's my opinion anyway.
Lovely looking car by the way
:thumb:

As above, love the look of the car just remove the GT3 badges and enjoy it.

Just remove all the GT3 badging, including the speedo and wheel caps, and then enjoy the ride.

I'll even send you my old 'Carrera' bootlid badge for free if that helps, as I've no use for it. As long as you stick it on the car.

agreed with removing the GT3 badge at rear. put 911 on there

GT3 badges fetch good money as fortunes from OPC

same for the centre caps. you can get normal 911 black or coloured caps on ebay for not a lot of money or go for normal ones from opc.

interior stuff is harder to see unless you are in it. changing dials and side sills would be expensive.

your car at the end of the day so run it how you want to. its a great looking car and colour and has been done really well with the aero kit and the centre exhaust and front rad grill.

first thing I look at when I see a 'GT' car or aero is the brakes as its the biggest give away

Comfort GT3s will run the GTS style sport seats which have alacantara in the middle. not full leather. and GT3s tend not to have full leather in the car as well.

Step 1. Hairdryer the badge
Step 2. Dental floss the badge off
Step 3. Polish off any remaining marks
Step 4. Enjoy your car.

I wouldn't worry about the wheel centres or the rev counter(effort vs reward?). The car looks good, I would love a front and rear GT3 for my car.

Wow all the preachers here: 'remove anything that says GT3' 'it's an outrage, sacrilege, taking the name in vain, a travesty of a mockery of a sham...'

I think you all need to chill out, telling him to remove the dash because it dares says GT3. That's crazy, and as someone who has changed the dials in a dash, a lot of work and expensive.

Bottom line is this, if it makes you uncomfortable to have the badge On the rear then by all means remove it. I'd leave everything else, because it's expensive and difficult to replace sills etc (I know if done all of this). However if it makes YOU happy to have it there then leave it and enjoy. It's just a car and it's all about fun. Remember it's your car and it only needs to make you happy. If anyone tells you to remove the badges just say 'when you buy it off me feel free to remove them'.

I have modified my 997 Turbo to exact GT2RS spec and yes it has the badges. I don't care what anyone else thinks about that because it's my car and it makes me happy. This is the closest to a 997 GT2RS I'll ever get and every time I remove the cover it makes me smile like the 10 year old me at Christmas. So furk everyone else.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back