Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
992 : 2019- 0
991 : 2011- 24
997 : 2004- 66
996 : 1997-2005 35
993 : 1993-1998 4
964 : 1989-1993 1
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 2
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 1
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 30
Cayman : 2005- 21
Cayenne : 2003- 6
Macan : 2014- 4
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [992] 2018-Current
Porsche 911 [992]
911 [991] 2011-2019
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-2012
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

MattyR
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chicb wrote:
Sacrilegious, who cares. It looks terrific. The majority of people would not know what it is if they tripped over it..

Laughing Haha, too true. To most people a 911 is a 911.

Car looks good either way.

Roro
Long Beach

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was me I'd remove the wing and replace it with a Carrera lid - then I'd replace the "GT3" badges with "GT3 Touring" ones. There was never a 997 era GT3 Touring so I'm sure i'd be fine from a purist point of view Grin

nigel99
Barcelona

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remove anything that says GT3

C11BRA
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love all the responses. Some say remove all GT3 references, some say just the rear badge, some say do what you want. (Love the quote from isysman: ‘when you buy it off me, feel free to remove them’)

I’m going to think about it for a while. I’m torn.

I kinda like the fact that it might fool 95% of the public.
I’ve calculated that of the 5% that can tell it’s fake, 1% are jealous, 1% say do what you want, 1% think I have really small man parts, 1% think I should be shot and last 1% are Porsche brand purists (and I have a great deal of respect for purists).

Did anyone see my last car? The silver 996.1? I went completely against the grain with that car. LED lights at the rear, bespoke headlamps from F1 parts, A hybrid bumper 996/997T with LED lights and even non Porsche wheels. Even the genuine 996 Aero kit rear spoiler/wing was the 996.2 version! I was lucky not to have my really small man parts removed by a blunt blade and hung outside the factory gates.

So. Now I have a car that looks pretty much like my dream car, don’t we think it will look a bit daft with Carrera on its bum?

There is no right or wrong answer it seems.
Ex Ram Cobra V8.
Ex Series 1 RS Turbo.

grbspeedster
Montreal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you just put 911 on the rear and leave it alone it looks stunning. I wouldn't change anything about it Thumb

nigel99
Barcelona

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C11BRA wrote:

This is a bit sad if you need to pretend to have something that you haven't. It's the same as wearing a fake rolex and thinking you're Johnny big balls when at the end of the day it's a £15 wrist watch.

Your car is a wonderful thing already, enjoy it as a 911, not a GT3.

arthouse
Trainee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing you really liked how it looks now, and the way it looks played a big part in your decision to buy it?

If so, then you really should just have it how you want and not be bothered by what others think.
I honestly respect anyones opinion on their choices of car mods etc .. and it's a 911 at the end of the day, they're all great!

BUT Laughing since you're asking

If i was to make a Carrera more like a GT3, the last thing i'd do is put the badges/aero etc on, i'd be more interested in making it feel more like a GT3 by upgrading suspension, cutting weight where i could, better brakes etc. I don't understand why people just want to make people think their car is a GT3, but not actually improve the handling and feel of the car, to me, that's why you have a GT3, for the fun they are to drive, the looks are mostly just a bonus from the purposeful upgrades they have (big brakes, aero for more downforce etc).
I'd love to put carbon buckets in mine, remove the rear seats, improve the suspension, put a lightened flywheel in it and just keep the little 911 badge on the rear. I'd like to make it more of a kinda 964 RS inspired 997, stripped back Carrera, raw and just enhance how it is already.

How ever you get your enjoyment out of the car, go with that, at the end of the day

Cool

DucatiRob
Kyalami

2006 Porsche 997 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it Thumb
Ducati 996

crash7
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nigel99 wrote:
C11BRA wrote:

This is a bit sad if you need to pretend to have something that you haven't. It's the same as wearing a fake rolex and thinking you're Johnny big balls when at the end of the day it's a £15 wrist watch.

Your comment is the only sad thing nooo Your poor analogy does not work, as the car is a Porsche, not a MR2 with a GT3 kit.

Ignore the haters and their precious snowflake sensibilities, as already point out do what works for you!!

Nobody seems to have an issue with the hundreds of 964 RS homages out there, yet put a GT3 badge on a 996/997 Carrera and the small minded are up in arms!!

Kettmark
Trainee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great. As you say not the real deal but will fool most from a distance. Just lacking some folding bucket seats..
I've some for sale if you are interested.

C11BRA
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nigel99 wrote:
C11BRA wrote:

When I say fool 95% of the public. I don’t mean that I want them to believe that I (Johnny small balls) actually owns a GT3. I just think it looks right. And that 95% would believe that’s how it left the factory. Hey. A nice looking car, is a nice looking car.

Like I said. I love the look of the 997.1 GT3 and if I wanted to, I could buy one. But right now, this seems a better option & wholeheartedly believe I will have a load more fun driving this than I would a real GT3. Not because it’s as good (far from it). But because I will feel less conscious about the risk of driving a real GT3. This might not make sense to someone not in my financial position but that’s how I feel. You might say, wait until you have sufficient disposable income to feel comfortable to put miles on a real GT3. Hey. Life’s short. Why wait.

For reference. I wouldn’t own a Rolex if I was too worried to wear it. However, I would wear a really nice watch (that made me smile, and might even be mistaken for an expensive watch) if it looked just as amazing & it brought me pleasure.

BTW. I can’t stand Rolex’s. Or Tags.
Ex Ram Cobra V8.
Ex Series 1 RS Turbo.

Marky911
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with most people on here. It isn’t a GT3 so it’s currently a “GT3 wish-it-was”.

Lose the easy stuff like badge and centre caps. Obviously replacement clocks etc are gonna get expensive so just leave it.

The comment about only car people knowing the difference is interesting.
If the average joe doesn’t know what a GT3 is they won’t be interested anyway. If they do know then they’ll know yours isn’t real a one, which begs the question “Who would you be trying to impress?”

As I said on your other thread though it’s a stunning car and a great find, the previous owners inferiority complex has resulted in the sad addition of GT3 badges everywhere that’s all.

Oh one last thing, by saying you could have bought the real thing but chose not to isn’t a decent argument for leaving the badges on a lookalike. You don’t get off the hook that easily. Hand
It’s like saying “I could have bought a real Rolex but I can wear this fake without worrying”. In that case wear a Casio. Grin

Edited to add- I hadn’t read Nigels post but I was obviously thinking along the same lines.
Also I think even a 964/993 RS lookalike generally gets a bit of stick if it wears the RS badge. If the vin doesn’t state it is one then it isn’t one.

Last edited by Marky911 on Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

C11BRA
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crash7 wrote:
nigel99 wrote:
C11BRA wrote:

Your comment is the only sad thing nooo Your poor analogy does not work, as the car is a Porsche, not a MR2 with a GT3 kit.

Ignore the haters and their precious snowflake sensibilities, as already point out do what works for you!!

Nobody seems to have an issue with the hundreds of 964 RS homages out there, yet put a GT3 badge on a 996/997 Carrera and the small minded are up in arms!!

Very good point! Well said.
Ex Ram Cobra V8.
Ex Series 1 RS Turbo.

C11BRA
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arthouse wrote:
I'm guessing you really liked how it looks now, and the way it looks played a big part in your decision to buy it?

If so, then you really should just have it how you want and not be bothered by what others think.
I honestly respect anyones opinion on their choices of car mods etc .. and it's a 911 at the end of the day, they're all great!

If i was to make a Carrera more like a GT3, the last thing i'd do is put the badges/aero etc on, i'd be more interested in making it feel more like a GT3 by upgrading suspension, cutting weight where i could, better brakes etc. I don't understand why people just want to make people think their car is a GT3, but not actually improve the handling and feel of the car, to me, that's why you have a GT3, for the fun they are to drive, the looks are mostly just a bonus from the purposeful upgrades they have (big brakes, aero for more downforce etc).
I'd love to put carbon buckets in mine, remove the rear seats, improve the suspension, put a lightened flywheel in it and just keep the little 911 badge on the rear. I'd like to make it more of a kinda 964 RS inspired 997, stripped back Carrera, raw and just enhance how it is already.

How ever you get your enjoyment out of the car, go with that, at the end of the day

Cool

See. I totally get that and love your idea.

I also love a wolf in sheep’s clothing. I love a stripped back car, proper drivers car. I would love a stripped out race car for the road. But for me and my family, that just wouldn’t work. (I hope you get the opportunity to do that to yours though)

We use our car for touring holidays, special days & date nights. I have young kids that love going in the back (the look on their faces when I had a mates GT4 for a few weeks! I was not popular). My wife would hate bucket seats and a stupid roll cage! So, I have to compromise. We had so much fun in the 7 years of owning our 996, why would I be so selfish as to buy a car that my kids can’t share, and my wife won’t enjoy. The kids love GT3’s, my wife likes comfort due to lower back issues. Apart from the terrorist attack exhaust, this car is so bloody amazingly perfect it’s ridiculous. And yes, I can drive the car very gently when the missus is in the car and by some kind of witchcraft the exhaust is virtually silent when up to speed. But under hard acceleration, the noise is incredible!!!! Makes the GT4 sound tame, seriously. And the GT4 owner has driven this. So I get a bonkers looking car, with a bonkers exhaust which I can modulate via the loud pedal. So when I’m out with my boys we go tunnel hunting, and when with the missus I go into fuel saving mode.

We call it the terrorist exhaust because I accidentally (on purpose, of course) blipped the engine outside my eldest sons workplace, just as the automatic sliding doors to the showroom opened. Apparently the receptionist thought it was a terrorist attack. We were the talk of the showroom all afternoon. Job done. (My youngest son made me do it! Guv).

I’m loving my new car. Counting down the minutes to Thursday when I’m taking it into work show my workmates. They ask me every day, when are we seeing your new car?

Everything about this car is magic.
Ex Ram Cobra V8.
Ex Series 1 RS Turbo.

arthouse
Trainee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crash7 wrote:

This is kinda my point though, the 964 RS homage cars are usually modified to make it drive more like an RS, by stripping it back/making it more raw and giving it a bit more power, it's not just a looks thing. People do have issues with them not being the real deal, but it's more about the drive.

Just a bit more difficult to achieve with a 997 to GT3! All we see are cars made to look like GT3's but don't actually spend any money on the things that really make a GT3 a GT3. That's the part that i don't really understand.

I do understand that people enjoy their cars for different reasons though, so if having the looks is what makes you happy, it's all good ..

Cool

arthouse
Trainee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C11BRA wrote:
arthouse wrote:

Cool

See. I totally get that and love your idea.

I also love a wolf in sheep’s clothing. I love a stripped back car, proper drivers car. I would love a stripped out race car for the road. But for me and my family, that just wouldn’t work. (I hope you get the opportunity to do that to yours though)

We use our car for touring holidays, special days & date nights. I have young kids that love going in the back (the look on their faces when I had a mates GT4 for a few weeks! I was not popular). My wife would hate bucket seats and a stupid roll cage! So, I have to compromise. We had so much fun in the 7 years of owning our 996, why would I be so selfish as to buy a car that my kids can’t share, and my wife won’t enjoy. The kids love GT3’s, my wife likes comfort due to lower back issues. Apart from the terrorist attack exhaust, this car is so bloody amazingly perfect it’s ridiculous. And yes, I can drive the car very gently when the missus is in the car and by some kind of witchcraft the exhaust is virtually silent when up to speed. But under hard acceleration, the noise is incredible!!!! Makes the GT4 sound tame, seriously. And the GT4 owner has driven this. So I get a bonkers looking car, with a bonkers exhaust which I can modulate via the loud pedal. So when I’m out with my boys we go tunnel hunting, and when with the missus I go into fuel saving mode.

We call it the terrorist exhaust because I accidentally (on purpose, of course) blipped the engine outside my eldest sons workplace, just as the automatic sliding doors to the showroom opened. Apparently the receptionist thought it was a terrorist attack. We were the talk of the showroom all afternoon. Job done. (My youngest son made me do it! Guv).

I’m loving my new car. Counting down the minutes to Thursday when I’m taking it into work show my workmates. They ask me every day, when are we seeing your new car?

Everything about this car is magic.

What you're saying makes total sense mate, i hear you! This is also the reason the 911 is so good, getting the raw experience when you want it but still comfortable enough to take your wife and kids out in. Sounds and looks like you've come to a perfect compromise, enjoy Cool

Johnd52
Montreal

2011 Porsche Cayman 987

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add a question mark to the badges. Give the watchers something different to talk about.

The car looks great with all the mods. You are not pretending it is a GT3. I would probably do the no cost items like removing the boot badge, but if you have GT3 wheels centres, then they justifiably say GT3.

HSC911
Long Beach

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isysman wrote:
Wow all the preachers here: ‘remove anything that says GT3’ ‘it’s an outrage, sacrilege, taking the name in vain, a travesty of a mockery of a shame...’

I think you all need to chill out, telling him to remove the dash because it dares says GT3. That’s crazy, and as someone who has changed the dials in a dash, a lot of work and expensive.

Bottom line is this, if it makes you uncomfortable to have the badge On the rear then by all means remove it. I’d leave everything else, because it’s expensive and difficult to replace sills etc (I know if done all of this). However if it makes YOU happy to have it there then leave it and enjoy. It’s just a car and it’s all about fun. Remember it’s your car and it’s only needs to make you happy. If anyone tells you to remove the badges just say ‘when you buy it off me feel free to remove them’.

I have modified my 997 Turbo to exact GT2RS spec and yes it has the badges. I don’t care what anyone else thinks about that because it’s my car and it makes me happy. This is the closest to a 997 GT2RS I’ll ever get and every time I remove the cover it makes me smile like the 10 year old me at Christmas. So furk everyone else.

Yeah

No one has mentioned removing the replica wheels though Whistling

Thumb

Desert Dragon
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isysman wrote:
Wow all the preachers here: ‘remove anything that says GT3’ ‘it’s an outrage, sacrilege, taking the name in vain, a travesty of a mockery of a shame...’

I think you all need to chill out, telling him to remove the dash because it dares says GT3. That’s crazy, and as someone who has changed the dials in a dash, a lot of work and expensive.

Bottom line is this, if it makes you uncomfortable to have the badge On the rear then by all means remove it. I’d leave everything else, because it’s expensive and difficult to replace sills etc (I know if done all of this). However if it makes YOU happy to have it there then leave it and enjoy. It’s just a car and it’s all about fun. Remember it’s your car and it’s only needs to make you happy. If anyone tells you to remove the badges just say ‘when you buy it off me feel free to remove them’.

I have modified my 997 Turbo to exact GT2RS spec and yes it has the badges. I don’t care what anyone else thinks about that because it’s my car and it makes me happy. This is the closest to a 997 GT2RS I’ll ever get and every time I remove the cover it makes me smile like the 10 year old me at Christmas. So furk everyone else.

The responses here have been pretty balanced. On ph however!

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=1828440&r=40562082&hm=509457&mid=509457#40562082

GMG
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...don't change anything; tis yours...not mine or anyone else's...and if it matters I suspect 99%would not be able to discern it's provenance.

Enjoy it as is...spend the suggested debadge money on tunnel hunting fuel with your lads ....

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: