Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Active spoiler not operational

Zen1

Hi

Just picked up a lovely 2003 3.6 Targa 996 and have found the rear spoiler is not operational.
I've just found the microswitches in the fuse box that are supposed to operate it manually but that won't work either.

I've established the 15A fuse and the micro switches are not the issue.

Does anybody have the diagram for the rear spoiler so I can test it with a separate 12v supply or alternatively I've read i may need to remove the rear seats to check the up/down relays. Is there a tutorial for removing the seats. I've looked but cannot find.

Many Thanks

Got to the relays and will take them into work tomorrow to check out.

Thanks for the diagram. I have downloaded all of the workshop manuals so I'm assuming it'll show me how to get to the spoiler workings. I believe there is a pump somewhere that is responsible for the spoiler operation. I couldn't see it.

I can see what looks like two motor actuators but that is all.

Much appreciated so far .......

Yours is fully electric, only the turbo has the hydraulic pump. Think yours is a lot cheaper to sort :thumb:

There are two units on the left and right labeled like this

I cant find much info on them

There is a silver pipe running from each under the black cover but i'm not sure i can remove this as these pipes may bend.

Ive tried unplugging the 12way connector but the damn thing wont budge
and its so tight i can barely get my hands in. :nooo:

Mine started sticking last year so I decided I was going to have to take it all apart and clean it. As it was halfway down, I gave it a thorough dose of lubricant, I can't remember whether it was WD40 (yes I know it's not really a lubricant) or GT85. It's been fine ever since...

Can I ask if you were able to remove the black cover easily enough to access everything and where did you spray lubricant?

The silver pipes on both sides may bend easily and I don't want to end up with more problems if I bend one so am reluctant to pull everything apart.

I sprayed it down the tubes where the raise/lower 'struts' go.

Ok so it doesn't work at all ..

Couple of things off hand ..

Check fuse D7 .. so the fourth row of fuses down from the top and right seven .. yup i'm sure you know but better to be safe .

Relays .. more importantly if the raise relay has failed then it wont go up .. swop relays 3 and 9 on the relay board 2 ( under the carpet and behind the rear seats )

Have a look for any water whilst your there .. it is a Targa after all .

It could have been coded off .. unlikely unless it used to have a fixed spoiler but its still something that would stop it working .

The wiring plug , there is a clip that holds it to the body work .. use a mirror and a light to have a look , lift this up and the plug will release from the body , you still have to press the tab though .

We can get more involved with bridging out the raise relay and checking feeds if you wish but atm i'm unsure how keen you are to self fix so i've just listed the obvious faults so far .

Attachments

• relays_1_177.jpg
    relays_1_177.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 4,604
Checked relays were functioning with an external 12v supply on coils and also checked continuity of both normally closed and normally open contacts.
Both read as good as zero ohms.

So that's relays, Footwell microswitches and 15A Spoiler Fuse all ok.
No evidence of water or dampness anywhere either. Everything is dry.

So I guess I need to prove the pump is good ?
Are they hydraulic rams then?

This 12 way wiring connector I couldn't get apart very easily at all.

edit: Just watched a video where it says the car needs to have been started to manually operate the spoiler. I haven't actually tried this and cant right now as im not with the car. If this is the case I'm goint to feel a right eejit. :grin:

No hydraulics, they are electric operated on all but the turbo.

Well who feels stupid now ??
All I needed was the keys in the ignition never mind needing to start the damn thing. :nooo:

I do however hear a knocking noise for around 5 seconds when the spoiler opens fully.
I now get active spoiler failure after each time the spoiler gets to top position.

No doubt something I may have done when attempting to get to the inner mechanics yesterday.

Before I go messing again, there isn't some easy reset procedure for the spoiler I'm missing is there ?

Thanks for helping an idiot out...... :?

Sorry to side-track is my 2002 cab electric spoiler as well.

Steve

I think i can safely say none of us would have guessed the ignition wasn't on :D .. moving swiftly on ..

Turbos have a hydraulic system .. non Turbo and it's an electric motor which is what yours is .

From your description then unless you have loosened off the entire cable system then it's nothing you have done .

It's a single motor .. a gear with a cable each side of this gear in a channel to drive each side of the spoiler.

If it's clicking then its slipping .. it's not moving the cables far enough to activate the micro switches for up , down etc .. it's just not reaching them.

Basically .. IMHO its fubar .

Link here but it doesn't list 12 which seems to be the part ..

https://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp?TBL=2639&MAK=3&MDL=25&SMA=0&SMO=0&ST=&SC=0

The cables themselves run in a plastic tube / casing .. it may be possible to strip , clean and get it working again .. if not its fubar and needs replacing im afraid .

When the spoiler comes down its perfect. Nice and smooth without issues.

When it goes up again, its all good until it hits what I'm assuming it Top position. It's here where it sounds like its continuing to drive upwards.

Could it be the top micro switch? Are these micro switches essentially there as Top/Bottom Limit switches?

Next question, are they easy to get to?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back