Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Any ideas? 986 Boxster low on power and stalling

Fatboy74

Silverstone
Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

So it's a 3.2s, just had an engine rebuild and I'm in the process of running it in. All seemed ok, 300 miles done no issues. Took it for a long drive, did about 100 plus motorway miles and stopped for lunch. Traffic was gridlocked when restarting the journey and car sat in a queue for about 10-15 minutes, it was a hot day and the temp rose a little but was still only reading at 12 o'clock so not overheating. Went to pull away and loss of power, spluttered, backfired and then stalled, wouldn't restart immediately. Pushed into a lay-by and tried restarting about 5 mins later and started ok, drove about 5 mins all ok, pulled over and stopped for a bit. Started her up and went to pull away and same problem no power running rough, so pulled back in before it stalled.
Only thing I could try sat by the side of the road was to disconnect the maf sensor, did this and took it for a short drive all ok. Then took it for another drive all ok. Reconnected the maf sensor to see if it would bring the problem back, went for a drive seemed ok the problem didn't reoccur, might have been me as getting use to the car but it definitely seemed to rev more freely with the sensor disconnected.
As we were going to have a 100 mile drive home I decided to play it safe and disconnect the maf sensor once again for the trip. Car was fine did about 50 miles and had to go through a town, traffic was a bit heavy and had to wait at a junction for about 5 mins, as I pulled out there was some hesitation felt like it was going to do the same thing but it didn't stall and then seemed to be ok, finished the journey with no more issues.

Presume it's a fuel or air problem, would have put it down to the maf if when I reconnected it the problem came back but it didn't do so a little confused now.

Only other thing worth noting is it did get low on fuel a couple of days prior.

Any ideas?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back