Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Proof of gen 2 reliability?

C2.1GTS.2

Just been looking through BCA`S auction view.
Came accross a 2009 gen 2 4s with an incredible 201k miles, reg number SG09 GVD.
Sorry im not PC savvy enough to retrieve the link, perhaps someone else can.
My guess would be its been up & down a motorway all of its life, serviced correctly & still going strong.

Unless you can get hold of all the documentation to substantiate its robust mechanical state I'd look at the same advert with a different set of eyes and think that's not worth buying otherwise it wouldn't be going through the system at Auction.

I know there are plenty of excellent vehicles go thro BCA's auction sites some very nearly new and some great used but I've personally seen some really poor examples,

I bought a Zermatt Silver UR Quattro at auction many moons ago, it was a 1 owner car FSH high on miles, turned out it was on its 3rd engine, substantiated after I'd bought it thro the owners club, and subsequently sold to a forum member who transformed it into a Rally Replica. Which is still on display at shows to day,

I wasn`t asking anyone to buy it!
It was simply to draw attention to let folk know that they are capable of doing high miles. As many many people on here are doubtful.
Perhaps by now it does have a problem.who knows. My guess it will be in there as a p/x, & BCA is where the dealership disposes of there unwanted stock.
If i were a betting man, with full opc history i bet its ok.

Yes, we are seeing more and more early 997.2 examples hitting big numbers.you don't have to search every far for 120k cars. I've seen 6 or 7 now with 200k in the clock on various global forums.
These cars are proving to be no less reliable than any other every day car, even in high milers

Sorry, I thought you were putting it forward as a potential purchase, maybe it is a potential for some one and no doubt a fairly cheap 911 depending on who bids on it ?

Would make a project for some one, I'm not doubting the vehicles ability to hit high miles, a colleague has a 50th anniversary with 185K on it, long story shortened, he can't fly and has a property in southern Spain...... he does 25k a year alone back and forth...

Somehow BCA have given it a condition grade of 3 despite a large crease on the rear quarter, both doors dented (only small though) and various other chips and scratches listed. None of which is particularly scary and to be expected on a used, high miler like this, but it looks more like a grade 5 to me!

That said however, it has Sports Chrono Plus, 10 main dealer services (the last one at 199k last month) no warning lights on the dash (currently) and a guide price of £12.6k (although it may make more)!!!

997.2 C4S Coupes seem to start at around £34k with 80k+ miles so if you can swallow the miles and it all checks out, that could be a bargain 911.

It's one previous owner and shows a fairly steady annual mileage.

And to give a little perspective to the mileage, it is nearly 10.5 years (126 months) old so that's just shy of 1600 miles per month or just under 400 miles per week, which is only a 40 miles each way daily commute for 5 days a week. So has it really had that hard a life....?

12.5k is worth a punt surely.

That car will never ever be bought for £12.5k, it will make way more.
You will have breaker yards willing to pay £12.5 for it all day long.

At 20k I'd still buy it.

As far as I'm aware Gen 2 engines don't break and NASA are sourcing spare units for their Mars missions.. :thumbs:

I've had no trouble and I did 13k in 8 months. You just gotta keep it fettled.

.2 engines do break as no engine is bullet proof. they just a lot less often than the .1 997 engines. or what we know of.

have seen a few posts with broken DFI lumps but it tends to be a rare thing or an oddity leads to issues. rather than very common issues like the borescoring or the IMS issues you get in 996 and 997.1 engines.

a high mileage Porsche is a good thing as its been used and looked after in my eyes. they are epic cars and meant to be driven. not locked up like a painting in a museum. that is what Ferraris and Lambos are for :p

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back