Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

(Thinking)Selling the C4S for a 997 GT3

Fulla

Sao Paulo
After 10 years of enjoying my C4S I am seriously considering letting someone else enjoy it and finally scratching my GT3 itch. I haven't used it much in the last year or so but that hasn't stopped me spending money on it!
For the 997 I need to try both the 3.6 and 3.8 to see which I prefer. Not many about at present but I suspect some more will enter the market after the summer.
I would be interested to hear from anyone that has made the move. I'd also like to hear via DM on thoughts of values and the best place to list the car. Interestingly I have heard a few cars are getting snapped up overseas which doesn't surprise me with the state of sterling!

My thoughts are to list it either in Sept or wait until I get back from my holidays ins Sept and list in October. Yesterday I started going through my service history so that I could start pulling details together to write my war and peace advert...

Some details on the car:
1996 C4S in Midnight Blue with provance/dark blue interior.
165,000 miles, I got the car with just over 70k.
Last year I had all the rust removed and then had the interior and exterior detailed with G-techniq. A new screen was installed by Paul at Glastec at this time as well.
It has just come back from CofG so drives as a 993 should, prior to this 2 rear Bilsteins had been replaced. 1 was leaking so I replaced both.
It also sounds like a 993 should as I have Cargraphic mufflers and 200 cell cats.
It's had a recent major service at Tognola who has serviced the car and replaced worn items when needed for the last 10 years. New Michelins just fitted all around as well so whoever does take her from me won't need to do anymore then enjoy the car.
There will be a long list of the work/subtle upgrades I have done plus the service history but the above gives a flavour.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts and I am getting excited at potentially having my 1st new car in 10 years.

Fulla said:
After 10 years of enjoying my C4S I am seriously considering letting someone else enjoy it and finally scratching my GT3 itch. I haven't used it much in the last year or so but that hasn't stopped me spending money on it!
For the 997 I need to try both the 3.6 and 3.8 to see which I prefer. Not many about at present but I suspect some more will enter the market after the summer.
I would be interested to hear from anyone that has made the move. I'd also like to hear via DM on thoughts of values and the best place to list the car. Interestingly I have heard a few cars are getting snapped up overseas which doesn't surprise me with the state of sterling!

My thoughts are to list it either in Sept or wait until I get back from my holidays ins Sept and list in October. Yesterday I started going through my service history so that I could start pulling details together to write my war and peace advert...

Some details on the car:
1996 C4S in Midnight Blue with provance/dark blue interior.
165,000 miles, I got the car with just over 70k.
Last year I had all the rust removed and then had the interior and exterior detailed with G-techniq. A new screen was installed by Paul at Glastec at this time as well.
It has just come back from CofG so drives as a 993 should, prior to this 2 rear Bilsteins had been replaced. 1 was leaking so I replaced both.
It also sounds like a 993 should as I have Cargraphic mufflers and 200 cell cats.
It's had a recent major service at Tognola who has serviced the car and replaced worn items when needed for the last 10 years. New Michelins just fitted all around as well so whoever does take her from me won't need to do anymore then enjoy the car.
There will be a long list of the work/subtle upgrades I have done plus the service history but the above gives a flavour.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts and I am getting excited at potentially having my 1st new car in 10 years.

Big yes to the GT3! But don't tell Jonttt :grin: re the 993 and value I think the most important part for any new owner due to the mileage would be engine work in your ownership, or prior to your ownership :dont know: :thumb:

Having moved on into the GT club I'm of the view life's too short not to try different cars but for me, space and cash meant I couldn't really keep the old air cooled as well.

For the Illuminati the mileage on your car will be the elephant in the room because buyers are drawn to what the odometer says rather than the whole package :roll: Congratulations for putting so many miles on it in your ownership :thumbs:

That said, didn't Bernie take his 185k engine apart to have a look? I recall there were no issues adding weight to the argument these engines can do 2ook+ without major work. My Jubi had 130k+ when I sold it and the buyers Indy remarked he'd never seen a car as good indicating if used correctly on regular long trips they're all good.

993 sales are not dependent on when to sell in the year but GT cars seem to get advertised more over winter as you suggest so waiting to find the right one is not far away.

Before Jonttt dons the rose tinted goggles and does a Mystic Meg on a valuation :roll: have a look at what prices are going for to gauge the market. Take note that a lot of high priced 993 don't sell and unless there's some confidence in the history (some cars have detailed work threads on here for example) most 'new' buyers will want the reassurance of buying from a dealer.

Put an advert on here first then buyers can see your posting history etc :thumb:

Do it.

I am considering the same, but may even consider a 993 c4s for a bit as cost to change lower, but ultimately want a 997.2 Gt3. I need to get rid of my 993 cab and am doing the same to get a gauge of the market, but as most know cabs demand not as strong. I do think the 997 will be a better blend of classic and modern, and looks ace.

Despite Zingari's comments 993's are selling well. Yes there are a handful which stick on the market for whatever reason which helps people justify the 'they are not selling" comments but many sell so quickly people don't even realise they where for sale :roll:

Eg an 80k mile C4S has just sold for £108k (sticker price so May have been slightly less) and was not for sale for long. C4S do not come up for sale very often in the UK, there where many less than the 2S and the fact none are tips help keep prices up when they do hit the market.

Yes mileage will affect value but they are still a desirable and rare car so don't forget that :thumb:

I won't comment on my thoughts re GT cars for road use :grin:

I will be posting it on here for sale,just need to see at what price. It'll take some time to write up it's history but at least potential purchasers will see it has been cared for.
The mileage ofcourse will put some off but an inspection and drive will show that it doesn't show it's miles.
I am getting excited about the prospect of a GT car just not the tire kickers.

jonttt said:
Despite Zingari's comments 993's are selling well. Yes there are a handful which stick on the market for whatever reason which helps people justify the 'they are not selling" comments but many sell so quickly people don't even realise they where for sale :roll:

Eg an 80k mile C4S has just sold for £108k (sticker price so May have been slightly less) and was not for sale for long. C4S do not come up for sale very often in the UK, there where many less than the 2S and the fact none are tips help keep prices up when they do hit the market.

Yes mileage will affect value but they are still a desirable and rare car so don't forget that :thumb:

From memory i believe the UK had 181 C4S cars so they are rare. Trying to find a price to advertise will not doubt give me some sleepless nights.
Appreciate the GT's aren't everyones cuppa for a road car, but i will try some other ideas before i part with my ££. I need the rear space so 2 seaters are out and i find the circle always leads back to the GT.

I'm in for 25 bags if you need to move it quick :thumb:

:hand: I wouldn't factor £108k for a 80k miler to any 'average' price swingometer. That had to be (a) very special, and (b) bought by someone who is not afraid of losing his dough. Most likely lighting Cuban cigars with £20 notes before they go plastic as his want to get rid of it :what:

Before I saw this '96 C4S with 119k at £65k full and complete service history with a dealer I was thinking £60k might be your ballpark :dont know: and my barometer was not far off.

Fulla said:
jonttt said:

From memory i believe the UK had 181 C4S cars so they are rare. Trying to find a price to advertise will not doubt give me some sleepless nights.
Appreciate the GT's aren't everyones cuppa for a road car, but i will try some other ideas before i part with my ££. I need the rear space so 2 seaters are out and i find the circle always leads back to the GT.

GT3's are all 2 seats , not homologated/ type approved for rear seats , the Insurance companies would void Insurance , ok if you just need some baggage space inside but if 2 seats are required then GT cars are not the answer ...

Zingari said:
I'm in for 25 bags if you need to move it quick :thumb:

:hand: I wouldn't factor £108k for a 80k miler to any 'average' price swingometer. That had to be (a) very special, and (b) bought by someone who is not afraid of losing his dough. Most likely lighting Cuban cigars with £20 notes before they go plastic as his want to get rid of it :what:

Before I saw this '96 C4S with 119k at £65k full and complete service history with a dealer I was thinking £60k might be your ballpark :dont know: and my barometer was not far off.
For the time being that dealer car seems to set the barometer as you say.
Off for a week now to the US for wrk so will give the value some thought and look to put the advert live on my return.

911TEL said:
Fulla said:
jonttt said:

GT3's are all 2 seats , not homologated/ type approved for rear seats , the Insurance companies would void Insurance , ok if you just need some baggage space inside but if 2 seats are required then GT cars are not the answer ...
It's not for a human...it's my 4 legged friend who would need to go in the back..

That sounds a really nice car Fulla. Good luck with the sale if you decide that's what you are going to do. 997 GT3 is a great car, and when I bought my 993 Carrera 2S it was between one of those in the whittling down process. Just be sure about it as I regretted the sale of my lovely 964 a long time, it only stopped hurting when the 993 arrived.

2co502c.jpg

As for build numbers, the Turbo S. RS, and 993 S Tiptronic are the rarities. 4S and 2S manuals have roughly the same build numbers? There are less cabrios than either of them. :hand:

Rear seats in a 997.1 GT3 has been done before. Apparently type approval is 4 seats and homologated as a 2 seater. A couple of Insurers offered cover at the time.

Fulla said:
911TEL said:
Fulla said:
jonttt said:

It's not for a human...it's my 4 legged friend who would need to go in the back..

That simplifies it then , just a Doggie restraint required.... not sure if Porsche ever considered our Four legged friends in the Type approval process....
:grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back