Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 on 20s , yes / no , , thoughts & pics welcome

me&my997

So ive landed a set of 20 inch 991 Carrera Classic 2s like these
s-l300.jpg

Having faces refreshed then planning to fit on my stock C4 (non pasm / not lowered)
Tyres are 30 rear 35 front so happy there & wheel arch gap will reduce by around 16mm so happy there too
Ignoring the rotational mass increasing over my lobsters am i making a mistake others have already made or are some members already on 20s with no issues ?

thanks

Re: 997 on 20s , yes / no , , thoughts & pics welcom

me&my997 said:
s-l300.jpg

Having faces refreshed then planning to fit on my stock C4 (non pasm / not lowered)
Tyres are 30 rear 35 front so happy there & wheel arch gap will reduce by around 16mm so happy there too
Ignoring the rotational mass increasing over my lobsters am i making a mistake others have already made or are some members already on 20s with no issues ?

thanks

surely if you are going to 20" then 30 and 35 profile will have the wrong rolling circumference.If my calculations are correct assuming you are still using 305 and 235 then you will increase the circumference by 3.14 inches. Speedo will misread and acceleration will suffer.

Re: 997 on 20s , yes / no , , thoughts & pics welcom

jl-c said:
me&my997 said:
s-l300.jpg

thanks

surely if you are going to 20" then 30 and 35 profile will have the wrong rolling circumference.If my calculations are correct assuming you are still using 305 and 235 then you will increase the circumference by 3.14 inches. Speedo will misread and acceleration will suffer.

Yes 305 30 20 on 11.5j 235 35 20 on 8j , generally speaking upsizing the rolling circumference will make the speedo read more correct if it was over to start with , my car speedo currrently reads 5/6% over actual speed .
Acceleration i can live with

Visually they always seem to create an agricultural look. It raises the car by only 12.5mm, but for some reason it might as well be 100mm visually. Just my 2 cents.

FZP said:
Visually they always seem to create an agricultural look. It raises the car by only 12.5mm, but for some reason it might as well be 100mm visually. Just my 2 cents.

Fair points & i am wary of that , won't be selling my 19s , these just came along at right money so thought id give them a try , could well be in the forum classifieds next week :)

I've heard that increasing rolling circumference can affect the diff's performance and cause premature wear.

People often make the mistake of fitting larger wheels thinking it will give a better stance but as FZP said it often just ends up looking "jacked up".
Personally I think you'd achieve a better look with a decent set of springs - either Eibach for c.20mm drop or H&R for c.25-30mm drop. Combined with some spacers will give the car a lovely stance!

Just my tuppence! No harm in throwing the 20's on and seeing how it looks and drives... Whatever you do, post some pics! :thumb:

squelch said:
I've heard that increasing rolling circumference can affect the diff's performance and cause premature wear.

People often make the mistake of fitting larger wheels thinking it will give a better stance but as FZP said it often just ends up looking "jacked up".
Personally I think you'd achieve a better look with a decent set of springs - either Eibach for c.20mm drop or H&R for c.25-30mm drop. Combined with some spacers will give the car a lovely stance!

Just my tuppence! No harm in throwing the 20's on and seeing how it looks and drives... Whatever you do, post some pics! :thumb:

I'm not totally against the lowering route but the car does handle & ride really well as it is now on stock set up i would be mad at myself if i spoiled that by swapping out the springs ( done may times in the past on Bmws , never been impressed as a upgrade other than the looks )
I'l have a play , first saw these wheelsets on the 981 Cayman & interesting point that they use the same size tyres so 305 30 20 + 235 35 20 . They don't look particularly oversized or jacked up & on stock ride still have a arch gap

42e1a6fc-75d8-4083-8999-34d474dbe175.JPG

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back