Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Front wheel arches

davidjf7

Imola
Hi all,

My 997 is suffering from surface rust and the paint peeling away where stones have hit the front arches just above the plastic guards.

Want to get this sorted before winter.

Is this a DIY job (thinking some kind of anti-corrosion paint + spray paint + lacquer and then maybe a protective covering) or would it be better entrusted to a pro?

I have the same issues. Thinking of going down the DIY route.
fine grit sanding paper and some hammerite kurust to treat the rust and then some clear protective film.

davidjf7 said:
Hi all,

My 997 is suffering from surface rust and the paint peeling away where stones have hit the front arches just above the plastic guards.

Want to get this sorted before winter.

Is this a DIY job (thinking some kind of anti-corrosion paint + spray paint + lacquer and then maybe a protective covering) or would it be better entrusted to a pro?

I have been pondering whether this is DIY job as well. I have 3 911's and they are all suffering from this to varying degrees. Will be interested to see what the consensus is.

I phoned Porsche East London and they said this is not covered under the 12 anti-corrosion warranty as this damage is due to stone chips and due to characteristics of the car!

I got the same response for a similar issue on my rear wheel arches from Brooklands

If yours is a dark colour use dinatrol dark wax to stop and protect edges from corrosion.

Self healing and easily topped up occasionally. Works a treat.

Has anyone tried putting mud flaps on the front arches for protection ?

I think I will buy some universal front mud flaps and give them a try.

I had all of my arches Armourfended when I had them stripped treated and painted, it's a type of tough PPF designed for wheelarches.

You can just about make it out in this photograph.

img_0338.jpg

Think that armourfend is same / similar to 3m 'helicopter tape'.
Supposedly used on leaving edge of rotor blades. Though I use it on my mountain bike.
It's very tough stuff.

wheel arches

Cannop, did you just get the arches painted and then blending laquer over the join. I would like to get mine done but the first bodyshop i approached said he would need to paint the complete side of the car :eek:

I started out with just wanting the wheel arch lips done and on the front that's how they were treated, stripped back, rust converted, primed, painted, lacquered and armourfended. Whilst the rears arch lips were being done I had some paint defects on the rear 3/4 panels and drivers door and stone chipping on the sills and rear bumper sorted out at the same time.

img_0204.jpg

img_0243.jpg

img_0247.jpg

img_0246.jpg

montygraphics said:
If yours is a dark colour use dinatrol dark wax to stop and protect edges from corrosion.

Self healing and easily topped up occasionally. Works a treat.

Sounds like a good solution :thumb:

Is it this stuff?

[/img]

Attachments

• s_l1600_685.jpg
    s_l1600_685.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 3,171
You get 4941 which is thicker and dries harder which is meant to go over the top of the thinner brown 3125. The 4941 is black.

Craig

Yes I use 3125. Very nearly black but the black coating suggested by Craig may be even better. Dinitrol products really work well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back