Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Reversing Lights and Parking Sensors Not Working

Moko

Hi only a couple of niggles on my new (to me) 02 996 Carrera....apparently Parking sensors where working up until very recently and they even failed to show any error codes during a PPI.

But now they are definitely not working...I guess the first thing to check would be the Fuse box as I've read the Reverse Lights also power the sensors but I can't find on the diagram any fuse for these.

So does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed to get them both working.

Thanks in advance for any advice David

I had a similar issue on my turbo and it was down to the gearbox switch. It was constantly open so my parking snesors and lights were on all the time.

Yours might be the opposite. Switch was about £30 from Porsche

Faulty reverse switch. Located on top of the front end of the gearbox.

Thanks for the replies...Is that an easy DIY job or do you need lifts/jacks etc to get at the switch?

You need the rear lifted or on home ramps, remove the undertray and you can disconnect and undo the switch.

That's for a manual. I don't know anything about the tip one.

Thanks that's really helpful...and I can save buying jack and stands until next month.

Reading that forum piece it sounds like you can repair the original unit, if it's beyond repair I can then order replacement part.

Obviously I will check fuse first and see if I can spot any loose wires under the rear bumper to eliminate those potential causes.

There's some really really helpful people on this site and all of the advice is much appreciated. It's been about 20 years since I did any work on cars so I'm looking forward to having a go again.

Moko said:
Thanks that's really helpful...and I can save buying jack and stands until next month.

Reading that forum piece it sounds like you can repair the original unit, if it's beyond repair I can then order replacement part.

Obviously I will check fuse first and see if I can spot any loose wires under the rear bumper to eliminate those potential causes.

There's some really really helpful people on this site and all of the advice is much appreciated. It's been about 20 years since I did any work on cars so I'm looking forward to having a go again.

Dust off those overhauls and get working young man :D

CAUTION!

Both of my reversing lights stopped working and when I tried to replace the switch I found the switch nut (possibly non original?) was made of a plastic that had become brittle and also the internal metal screw thread had corroded into the gearbox resulting in the body of the switch crumbling when I attempted to remove it.
Next day was MOT time (apparently you don't need reversing lights for an MOT) and the tester said the underside of my car was covered in gearbox oil, I've now had to plug the switch hole with a metal putty as I can't get sufficient access to repair it until the gearbox is dropped and I don't plan to do that until the clutch needs replacing which could be years away.
I'm without reversing lights now so I'll have to rig up a manual override switch when I get time.

Hi Guys I've managed to get the Center console out which wasn't too difficult apart from the fact that I had to move the gear stick from Neutral when I was manoeuvring the central console.

Now I'm onto the testing stage but for some reason I can't move the gearstick at all....I've taken the top knob off of it to remove trim but I would have thought you should still be able to move it into R or N.

Any ideas what to do....car still starts as battery is connected but just can't move Tiptronic gear stick.

So the answer how to get gearstick to move is to put it back together again....who could have guessed :eek:

Once the switch is out I just took it apart and then gave it a blast of contact cleaner and a light rub with emery paper. Slightly bending the copper strips so they are closer together I think also helped.

Just gave it a trial fit and both the reverse lights and sensors now working :D

Now it's time to put the console and trim back neatly in place.

Thanks to all the helpful replies and advice here I have saved a nice little amount and have the satisfaction of doing it myself.

Right new problem car will go into P, Reverse and Neutral but not into Drive.

Anyone have any suggestions what I've reassembled wrong....I thought at first it might be the triangular plastic part with the spring but I've checked with photos I took as it all came apart and it looks correct.

So what else should I be doing earlier before I started putting all the trim and console back in everything seemed to be working ok?

Thanks as always for any advice

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qdunrpvcxsty
Back