Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
992 : 2019- 1
991 : 2011- 18
997 : 2004- 80
996 : 1997-2005 33
993 : 1993-1998 4
964 : 1989-1993 2
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 3
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 1
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 0
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 25
Cayman : 2005- 16
Cayenne : 2003- 2
Macan : 2014- 4
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 2
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [992] 2018-Current
Porsche 911 [992]
911 [991] 2011-2019
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-2012
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

jonttt
Long Beach

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmmm that’s OK then..........but the facts remain the facts, they are not rumors, they are not speculation and when you visit an Indy that actually has several engines in waiting for rebuilds and if you have the opportunity to visit Hartech who yes make a living from rebuilding around the design faults then you “know” based on facts that the issues exist.

Yes most cars have some form of design fault, I would never ever buy a Range Rover out of manufacturer warranty (Having >£50k of warranty claims under my belt) based on first hand experience, I advise others the same based on my experience (and the fact one of my best mates runs a Range Rover Franchise), BMW’s have their faults, Mercedes have their faults etc... etc... to me the “issue” with the 9x7.1 engine issues is it is catastrophic when it happens BUT you can mitigate it from happening to you. I liken it to playing Russian roulette, a 9x7.2 has no bullets in the chamber (in relative terms) but a 9x7.1 has bullets in the chamber. You can argue over how many bullets but the fact remains “are you feeling lucky?”. There is simply no way around that I’m afraid (unless you buy a car which has already had a proven solution around the design flaws).

Personally I would rather know if the gun has a bullet in it or not and then make an informed decision which to me is as much about your mental attitude as anything else. Again that is based on real first hand experience of a mate buying one without the knowledge and despite the car being fine and with a Hartech maintenance plan in place he still sold it within 6 months with a ruined Porsche dream all because he could not live with that bullet in the gun, he had the wrong mental attitude and it was simply the wrong car for him.
2017 BMW 740 Msport
2017 RR Evoque Autobiography

me&my997
Silverstone

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to bring things back into perspective with regard this particular thread , the op has a 60k gen2 C2S , following the general forum consensus aren't they the only ones to buy if you don't want sleepless nights Confused
Or has it now reached the point where even they need a PPI & borescore report ?
http://911uk.com/files/dsc_5307_2_764.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/andy911wheels/

Robert SausageTrousers
Monza

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the crank shaft failure on my first Discovery 4, having read all about it online I thought it was over egged and didn't worry about it, all of a sudden I was faced with a £14k repair bill (it was out of warranty) - not a nice situation, so it does pay to do your due diligence and prepare for the eventualities.

I wonder what percentage of threads on here have the words 'Bore Score' in them, hell I know the majority of my posts on here mention it! I think it's possibly not proportionate to the risk. I posted a thread about my first 12 months of ownership and what a great, reliable and cheap year of motoring I'd had and it barely got a reply, no-ones' interested in that, if I'd posted saying my car had a lumpy idol, sooty exhaust pipe and was drinking oil I expect it would have had way more response.

I do agree that problems can be over emphasised, it's not an absolute given that bore scoring will occur during everyone's ownership - but reading on here you'd believe it is - 1 person suffers from it and 10 people regurgitate the story, which makes it seems 10 times worse - there are people who've never even owned a 997 let alone suffered with bore scoring that constantly bang the drum and it does induce paranoia for owners, whether that's a good thing or not I'm not sure as at least people are prepared for the eventuality should it happen to them.

My 997.1 was rebuilt due to scoring at 49k, people have insinuated on here that my car is still a ticking time bomb because although all 6 liners were replaced they weren't done at Hartech, however i've managed to have 15k of fantastic motoring from mine since the rebuild and it's certainly not showing any signs of problems (touch wood) - if I listened to those implying my car is no better than a car that hadn't been rebuilt I'd either of spent those 15k miles worrying about the engine blowing or i'd have sold the thing and missed out on owning what is an absolutely fantastic car.

Don't buy a Porsche if you don't have big enough pockets to spend a small fortune on fixing it if it goes wrong, simple as that. If the worst case scenario isn't going to bankrupt you then just drive, enjoy, and cross any bridges as and when you come to them!

jonttt
Long Beach

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

me&my997 wrote:
Just to bring things back into perspective with regard this particular thread , the op has a 60k gen2 C2S , following the general forum consensus aren't they the only ones to buy if you don't want sleepless nights Confused
Or has it now reached the point where even they need a PPI & borescore report ?

Based on your reply to the OP’s question ie the 3rd reply on the thread ...

me&my997 wrote:
Then what after the bore inspection ? Are you willing to spend £12k/£14k should there be a trace of borescoring ?

I accept that there is much negativity over these cars mainly generated by the motoring press & indeed this forum but why not enjoy your car until such time as a fail prevents you ?
In the meantime change the oil yearly / 7k-8k , warm it up thoroughly & just treat it right with regard maintenance & upkeep .

Which was then corrected a few posts later correctly by Spongbob who answered stating that for a .2 it was not an issue.

So the thread went off track from your reply, that was corrected relatively quickly with the correct advice but the reference to .1 engines was kept alive by .1 owners so far as I can see. The question asked should simply have been answered with a “no, you are being paranoid as .2 engines DO NOT suffer from Bore Score as per the .1 engines” end of thread Thumb
2017 BMW 740 Msport

jonttt
Long Beach

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert SausageTrousers wrote:
I had the crank shaft failure on my first Discovery 4, having read all about it online I thought it was over egged and didn't worry about it, all of a sudden I was faced with a £14k repair bill (it was out of warranty) - not a nice situation, so it does pay to do your due diligence and prepare for the eventualities.

I wonder what percentage of threads on here have the words 'Bore Score' in them, hell I know the majority of my posts on here mention it! I think it's possibly not proportionate to the risk. I posted a thread about my first 12 months of ownership and what a great, reliable and cheap year of motoring I'd had and it barely got a reply, no-ones' interested in that, if I'd posted saying my car had a lumpy idol, sooty exhaust pipe and was drinking oil I expect it would have had way more response.

I do agree that problems can be over emphasised, it's not an absolute given that bore scoring will occur during everyone's ownership - but reading on here you'd believe it is - 1 person suffers from it and 10 people regurgitate the story, which makes it seems 10 times worse - there are people who've never even owned a 997 let alone suffered with bore scoring that constantly bang the drum and it does induce paranoia for owners, whether that's a good thing or not I'm not sure as at least people are prepared for the eventuality should it happen to them.

My 997.1 was rebuilt due to scoring at 49k, people have insinuated on here that my car is still a ticking time bomb because although all 6 liners were replaced they weren't done at Hartech, however i've managed to have 15k of fantastic motoring from mine since the rebuild and it's certainly not showing any signs of problems (touch wood) - if I listened to those implying my car is no better than a car that hadn't been rebuilt I'd either of spent those 15k miles worrying about the engine blowing or i'd have sold the thing and missed out on owning what is an absolutely fantastic car.

Don't buy a Porsche if you don't have big enough pockets to spend a small fortune on fixing it if it goes wrong, simple as that. If the worst case scenario isn't going to bankrupt you then just drive, enjoy, and cross any bridges as and when you come to them!

I can agree with all of that but such is the nature of the internet, this forum being vastly more “balanced” than the majority. The reference to people not owning a .1 but constantly “banging the drum” applies to me perfectly. That’s because I simply could not own a .1 with my mentality. I make no apologies for that but despite not owning one I know more than most about it. Does that mean I should stay quite Question I often don’t post on threads, very conscious of the owners of the cars but when I feel it is right to do so I do. I’m human I may get that wrong sometimes but I learned a long time ago not to lose sleep over errors so long as the intent was correct. It is the best way to learn and I’m still learning like everyone else.
2017 BMW 740 Msport

T8
General
General

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Bore Scoring Paranoia Reply with quote

Original post

chunkymonkey1982 wrote:
Hi Folks, ive recently bought a 997.2, 2010, 3.6l, 60kmiles, had been looking a while and went for the 997.2 on the basis that I had heard these were bullet proof engines - so no PPI Sad and a private seller who seemed very honest. Since being on this forum and doing a bit of research it seems that 997.2 also suffer from bore scoring. I have no idea what these engines are meant to sound like, but I do hear all sorts of clicking noises when listening to the engine on idle. I do not see any smoke on start up unless its parked at a banked angle. Ive done 1200 miles with about 200ml oil loss mainly because I changed the oil filter to see if there were any metal particles in it (there were none). Had a 111point check done by a OPC, they flagged a number of yellow issues but nothing with the engine.

My head says everything is fine, it certainly goes like a rocket so seems mechanically fine but I am a bit paranoid that there could be something wrong.

ex 1978 Silver 924 Manual

Last edited by T8 on Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total

T8
General
General

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original posters final comment.

chunkymonkey1982 wrote:

Thanks for the advice, decided to keep an eye on oil usage and not do the borescope. If there is a problem i'll just have to get t repaired!...

Thread closed. Thumb
ex 1978 Silver 924 Manual

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: