Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Coolant level

SimonBash

Hi All,

Collected my car from OPC Cardiff today after Monday's drama so I have a new water pump.

I'm now paranoid about the coolant level....after 4 hours of driving and with the engine off but hot the level appears to be below the 'min' line, is that normal? Will then level go up once the engine has fully cooled down?

Understandable, kiss it goodnight and check in the morning when it is cold. :)
Top up then if still low. You will probably find all is OK. Just keep an eye on it for a few days. Don't overfill and topping up with just water is OK for less than a pint or so. Coolant mix is preferable though :thumb:

SimonBash said:
Hi All,

Collected my car from OPC Cardiff today after Monday's drama so I have a new water pump.

I'm now paranoid about the coolant level....after 4 hours of driving and with the engine off but hot the level appears to be below the 'min' line, is that normal? Will then level go up once the engine has fully cooled down?

This is common you may just have an airlock. This happened a few times to me over the last couple of years,it tends to sort it self out. But yes do keep an eye on it.

Did the OPC check the coolant pipes when it was in their care to make sure there was no leaks? My Indy always checks the coolent pipes when I take the car in hoping for an up sell...

I had to top up the coolant a full year after the coolant flush and replacement with about 1l of mixture. The engine seems to have a lot of nooks and crannies...

When I had hoses changed on my 997.2 they drained & flushed, I had to top up couple of times about 1/2 litre, did make me a bit paranoid, do it when cold it will settle down.

Thanks all - is there a specific coolant I should use? Sorry for the basic questions!

Also make sure you actually take the cap off to check the coolant level (when cold). I looked at mine for months without taking the cap off when I first got my car and then realised I was looking at an old "tide mark" on the inside of the vessel. When I took the cap off I couldn't see any liquid and had to top it up with at least a litre of coolant...... :oops: That and a twig stuck in the radiator fan blade revealed why she was running a little hot..... :grin:

Porschekit said:
Also make sure you actually take the cap off to check the coolant level (when cold). I looked at mine for months without taking the cap off when I first got my car and then realised I was looking at an old "tide mark" on the inside of the vessel. When I took the cap off I couldn't see any liquid and had to top it up with at least a litre of coolant...... :oops: That and a twig stuck in the radiator fan blade revealed why she was running a little hot..... :grin:

Thanks :thumb: assume any coolant from somewhere like Halfords is OK?

SimonBash said:
Porschekit said:

Thanks :thumb: assume any coolant from somewhere like Halfords is OK?

All places that sell coolant will have a reference book that shows which coolant to use for a particular vehicle, it's pretty straight forward, and as usual not cheap.... :nooo:

I just popped into my local indy who siphoned off a litre of coolant from their big tank for 10eur.

Do you know if the system was completely drained down when you had the pump done?

I did my pump on a Gen 1, sod of a job and got advice from DeMort on refilling, you may have an airlock but a good brisk drive should sort that out.
Obvious things to look out for are puddles of pink fluid on the drive/floor, if there are non then it's fair to say you have no leaks.

Check your levels when cold and make sure they are half way between the min/max marks, fill with the pink fluid which you can buy premixed from ECP, it's about £3 a ltr.

SimonBash said:
Hi All,

My water pump went - last week - incontinent = PANIC

Used Lockton policy to ship it over to Unique Porsche at Bolton
Done collected Sunday \ mines normal - if you are worried go back.

So many throw away remarkes re bore scores etc - water pumps go - ENJOY

Not much i can add other than what's already been said ..

Check it when cold and top up if needed ( water is fine due to the shear volume of coolant it won't drop the antifreeze content by much ) it sounds like there was a small airlock which has now cleared ... not unusual shall we say and a bit difficult to predict ..

Some cars are fine after a job like this and others hang onto an airlock for a good few miles .

we tend to tell customers at work .. check it over the next few days until it settles .

Obviously never open the cap with a hot engine .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back