Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Fuel problems-help any ideas

doc-matt

I have a 2005 997.1 which I have had for 7 years. The fuel gauge used to be accurate and I could rely on it to put more fuel in if I got down to the reserve tank when the warning light came on. I did not do this as a matter of routine though, as I usually filled up before the light came on. I know the gauges are not that accurate due to the shape of the fuel tank. I use Shell super all the time.
Last year I had a holiday in Spain and used 98RON fuel most of the time except when not available, and on the way back the engine cut out with the gauge reading a quarter of a tank. AA called and no fault codes noted. I wondered about dodgy fuel and so we put in 5L of fuel. The engine burst into life and I filled up and no further problems.
This, however, has happened again twice. Fuel down to 1/4 of a tank and the engine cuts out, put in 5L of fuel and it starts again. I have measured how much fuel I have put in in these instances and I can only get 48L in the tank which is supposed to be a 64L tank, which suggests the tank is still 1/4 full. My local Indie has had a good look at the tank and the fuel take off and it looks fine. I do get a whoosh when I release the fuel cap. It has reduced the range of the tank significantly and leaves me needing to fill up sooner than I expect to. The remaining miles in the tank suggests about 90 miles on each occasion.
Does anyone have any ideas as to the cause, or suggest a solution? Thanks in advance....

Thanks T8. Interesting read. I will ask my Indie if he noticed any change in the tank. Cheers

Imho .. if you had a collapsed tank then you would know about it by now , i've never seen it on a 997 .. doesn't mean it can't happen but pretty rare if it is this .

Your indy has also looked inside the tank .. he would have seen a problem like this .

My feeling is the fuel sender unit has hooked up on the fuel pipes inside the tank .

Its a metal bar with a float on it .. there are many pipes and if it ends up on top of one it will stop reading anything less than 1/4 as it can't go any lower .

Considering its always at 1/4 of a tank then it kinda points to this being the fault .

It is normal to get air escaping from the tank on removal of the cap .. it's just how much .. it still sounds to me like a stuck lvl sender on a pipe .

Thanks deMort. I will ask my Indy about this. I thought he would have spotted that when he looked in the tank?

Exactly what i thought :dont know:

I'm just answering based on what i think though and what seems to fit with this problem ..

Nothing to say i'm not totally wrong but its all i can think of for this fault .

Far easier when i have the car to diagnose it you know :D

I'm sure. It's a bit of a long drive down from the north east to Brighton though! :D

doc-matt said:
I'm sure. It's a bit of a long drive down from the north east to Brighton though! :D

:floor:

Your not wrong !

i'm sure your Indy will sort it .. i just give what advice i can and am in no way different from him i expect .

An update to this problem. Have got this sorted now. Turns out that the fuel pump was the problem. When taken to bits there was some plastic debris in the filter where some parts had broken off so clogging the intake. A new pump and all is good again and the performance seems better than it was which is a bonus :D
Thank you for the ideas suggested.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back