Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Suspension Strip Down Help

Newbe

Hi All

I'm currently stripping down my front suspension on my 997 C4s due to a broken suspension spring. Whilst I'm at it I'm also doing my front brake lines.

I want to remove the ABS connector plug on the back of the wheel hub so I can remove the strut and hub together. Everything has gone well except below and it's the last thing I need to do to remove.

The plug sits in a bracket which also holds the brake line. I've managed to remove the brake line and the bracket but the plug housing appears to be stuck. It looks to me like it should just slide off the stud it's sitting on but it's sooo tight I'm wondering if it's screwed?? Or is it just seized?? I've undone the nut holding it but still no joy.

Some advice would be good from one of you good chaps.

I believe they become welded in due to corrosion of dis-similar metals, in the past I have ended up drilling it out, very carefully, because you don't want to be damaging the castellated ring on the moving hub under it, this sends the signal.
a new abs sensor is about £50.
If its not this that you are on about, please post a picture so we can see which part.
good luck :thumb:

Thanks for the reply.

I've described it slightly wrong in my post.

It's the plug on the back of the hub where you plug in both the Brake sensor and ABS. Its held on by a small stud. Your still right though it is welded. I watched a video yesterday of someone stripping one down and there's just slid right off the stud once the nut was undone.

I have a bit more work to do!☹️

The plastic plug has a metal bush in it which corrodes to the stud.
I managed to snap my stud off flush with the plug face, Doh!
I used an induction heater which by heating the bush/stud softened the plastic enough to remove it so I could then heat the stud and bush together.
The stud came out easily once it had been a bright red colour!

Cheers,

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back